Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

What is "really" required to do an 03 996 Litronics upgrade

Has anyone succesffull upgraded an 03 car to Litronics?

I've read all the posts and it would seem that new harnesses are needed on both sides of the car - possibly not that big a deal...

Would love first hand feedback and part numbers if you have them...

I also mailed Eli at Pelican and Gert. If I get anything back I'll post for all to see.

I'd like to do this over xmas.

JM

• 1 month later...
Do they really make a worthwhile difference in what you can see,

or just blind oncoming drivers?

They do make a noticeable difference, and if they are original HID's then they are focused and they would only blind oncoming traffic when your vehicle is at the right angle, ie you are on a flat road and they are coming toward you up a slight incline. They are much more intense at this point as the are focused, but most people complain about retro fitted vehicles that are not properly aligned or when someone buys an HID kit, like the ones all over eBay where the light simply replaces your H7 (for example) bulb and the light is not contained in a focused beam. Thus making them like off road lights. Oh and the best part is when they put them in their fog lights, oh yeah, can you say BLIND!

P.S. when you find out please post what it takes to do it. Thanks

Edited by ViolaGT3

You will need a harness for each one and an igniter. Also, if you still have your owners manual there is a section in the back that will provide good information regarding leveling the beams. You will need a long hex wrench to release and install the light assembly. It does make a considerable difference in your visibility down the road in all driving conditions. You won't regret it. I would be a little reluctant buying them on e-bay since they are so fragile, many small glass pieces inside that can break if they are not handled carefully. Buy from a reputable shop that will guarantee their safe arrival. You MUST aim these lights accurately or you may blind an oncoming driver that will probably hit you. Don't fool around, do it right. It is a job you can do yourself.

I too have searched for and posted similar questions, and like you

have not found a difinitive answer. This is what I know so far:

Most of what you see posted is for the pre-2001 cars (where it's called Litronics),

not the newer ones (officially called Bi-Xenon). The Bi-Xenon lights

have a self levelling feature which requires a different harness and more

stuff added to the car. However some claim you don't need the additional

instrumentation to enable the self levelling feature. I did see

one retrofit posting (Boxter?) where the lack of self levelling caused the lamps to be levelled at

different settings but I don't know whether this a common problem.

Supposedly the guys at Pelican know what's needed, however they have

never responded to my PM, and I have not dug any further.

I have also considered a HID blub retrofit using the existing housing

(for my US 2002 C2). Such kits cost about 500$ but may not be street legal in the US.

There too I have not received any definitive answer. Some claim

the lamp is too long and disrupts the beam pattern, others claim

that it produces too much glare, but that info is largely based on the old

style headlamp housings (or non-P cars) and I have no data on the newer projector type

headlamp housing.

The stock, post 2001, halogen projector type headlamp

has a wider and more sharply cut off beam pattern, more like

the European style beam patterns (which looks like _._._/ when you

shine it on a wall), and therefore a HID retrofit may actually work just fine.

Some also claim HID bulbs get too hot while other claim it's actually cooler

than halogen lamps because it consumes 30W vs 55W for halogen. I know

of no long term report of a HID retrofit in a post 2001 996.

Comments on either a Bi-Xenon or a HID blub retrofit in post 2001 996s would

therefore be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I've read all the posts and it would seem that new harnesses are needed on both sides of the car - possibly not that big a deal...

I also mailed Eli at Pelican and Gert. If I get anything back I'll post for all to see.

JM

I recently traded my 03-S Boxster which had Xenons for an 02-911 with no xenon, part of the deal was to upgrade the 911 to litronics for 1K

The only difference is the upgrade kit is NOT self leveling like the factory installed xenons on the box.

JM

I recently traded my 03-S Boxster which had Xenons for an 02-911 with no xenon, part of the deal was to upgrade the 911 to litronics for 1K

The only difference is the upgrade kit is NOT self leveling like the factory installed xenons on the box.

Here is a link to what you need:

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant...ategory_Code=WS

Or www.suncoastporsche.com

• Admin

JM

Here is a link to what you need:

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant...ategory_Code=WS

Or www.suncoastporsche.com

Those will not fit a MY03 Carrera. The MY02 and newer Carrera use Bi-Xenon lights and they are shaped slightly differently. Litronics are for MY99 to MY01 Carrera's.

• 4 weeks later...

I just did a facelift for my 99 996 to a 02-04 996 front.

It is expensive..I bought the lights, fenders and bumper from another rennlister, but he kind of screwed me (a little) because the set didn't come with wiring harnesses and he said that I didn't need them..he also missed 2 turbo bumper parts (which ended up being $300)

I got a deal from a car collision place accross from my studio, they replaced all parts, painted them (including my hood and right door, because I had a couple of scratched on it)...and charged me only 1100 bucks....they are taking their sweet time...car has been at the shop for 2 weeks....but I want them to do a good job, so didn't bother them too much!!

I have to say (saw the car, with new light fenders and bumper painted yesterday)....and it looks GREAT!!

But>>>>> I had to buy a lot of parts from the Porsche dealer.....which added up to about 1K

Bumper bottom lip (watch out.....turbo lip is $370 while a C4S lip is "only" $170 and the difference is 1/2 inch)

new brackets for headlights ($45 each side)

bolts for brackets (you can use the old ones...did this, it seems to work) (6bolts about $40 each bolt)

New bumper brackets ($16-26 each depending on side of car)

headlight washer system (old system doesn't work!) (about $180)

sidemarker brackets ($25 ? each)

there are things I forget here, because I paid a lot more....

I think I ended up spending about $4,000 including replacing and paint.....BUT I already had litronix on my 99 996 which I sold on ebay for $860, I sold one fender and bumper for another $425...so can deduct $1285 of off the conversion..so for under $2800 I am driving an unmistakable 996 (and not a '''is that a boxster? 996")

• 3 weeks later...

I've read this thread with interest...

simply because I've just upgraded my '02 996 from halogen to Bi-xenon headlights.

The process;

remove left halogen headlight unit (using 5mm deep socket)

Slide in new biXenon unit

secure in place (5mm socket)

repeat on right side

Done !

Works fine - oh forgot, change fuses to correct values.

Is there a difference in the ROW vs USA cars ?

mine was v. straightforward.

All I need to do now is hook up (somehow...) the headlight washers.

David