Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Is there a DIY to make the "Side Marker" become a "Turn

Is there a DIY to make the "Side Marker" become a "Turn Signal"?

It seems possible.... right?

i seem to remember seeing that someone wrote about this before. I may have seen it over on rennlist.com.

I will try searching around for the link.

capt601

I think this is the link: http://wa4ekg.home.att.net/996mods/sidemarkermod.html

The link has very good info, and cross referencing that website, with the 996 Technical Manual's wiring diagrams really helped me to understand the whole thing.

But I instead of following that DIY and keep the "side marker" functionality, I think I'll just wire the "side marker" as the "side turn signal" (just like how RoW cars are...); if members are interested, I will post a DIY.

The 996 DO have a "side marker" at the headlamp assembly, but that's probably not enough for DOT, hence, the "side turn signal" on US cars are wired as a "side marker" now.

I wasn't a fan of a amberish side marker on my car at night anyways.... (the Porsche designers had always envisioned those to be the "side turn signals" anyways....)

That's the same DIY in my post.

Wasn't the way I want it... I just want mine to be the same as RoW... so I think I will just re-wire the SideMarker's wire to the TurnSignal, no more SideMarker anymore.... :-)

• 3 years later...

I purchased a set of small, DIP size, SPDT relays for doing this on my '01 C4. The relay is energized via parallel connection to the standard turn signal circuit. The NC contacts supply voltage to green LEDS (matches car color) as marker lights, the NO contacts supply power to amber LEDs. LEDs are mounted inside/behind the CLEAR maker lens and the relay with LED current limiting resistor mounted, epoxied, to the backside of the marker light assembly.

Oh, sorry, almost forgot, my street/parking/tail/marker light circuits are "bridged" into the DRL circuit such that they always come on with DRL voltage

Edited by wwest

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

I did the conversion a couple days ago. It is even easier than described within the link.

I just cutted the cable of the sidemarkers at the connectors in the trunk and connected them to the cable of the turn signal for each side with a short additional cable. So you do not have to attach a new wire to the sidemarkers.

Best regards,

Christian

Edited by chrisko

@ Loren: I also would like to transfer the sidemarkers into blinker lights like Per Gunnar for Europe. Do you have a DIY for that, which you could provide to me?

Thank you very much.

Chris

See the links in the post just prior to your post.

Loren,

Do you know if this DIY works on 2003 C4S?

Regards

• Admin
@ Loren: I also would like to transfer the sidemarkers into blinker lights like Per Gunnar for Europe. Do you have a DIY for that, which you could provide to me?

Thank you very much.

Chris

See the links in the post just prior to your post.

Loren,

Do you know if this DIY works on 2003 C4S?

Regards

The wire colors are different -- but it works.

Hi!

I did the conversion a couple days ago. It is even easier than described within the link.

I just cutted the cable of the sidemarkers at the connectors in the trunk and connected them to the cable of the turn signal for each side with a short additional cable. So you do not have to attach a new wire to the sidemarkers.

Best regards,

Christian

Christian,

Thanks for this - but can you detail the instructions a little bit more?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

A colleague in a german forum did write a nice DIY for this. It is in german, but the pics and the explanations here hopefully make it understandable.

http://www.pff.de/wb...9d1a0cf715864e3

Christian

Hi!

Best regards,

Christian

Christian,

Thanks

• Admin

Hi!

A colleague in a german forum did write a nice DIY for this. It is in german, but the pics and the explanations here hopefully make it understandable.

http://www.pff.de/wb...9d1a0cf715864e3

Christian

Hi!

Best regards,

Christian

Christian,

Thanks

Your link does not allow visitor access.