Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

how tall are you in the seat?

Before I bought my Boxster I read a review of some Road&Track or Autoweek review where the driver claimed to be 6"3" and amazed that he was comfortable in the Boxster.

I'm 6'0" and although the ride fit is not to bad I have to have the seat 100% back and tonight I noticed that my head would be smashed into the rear roll bar if in a frontal or rear incident. The seats are not tall enough to protect the whiplash affect, basically the seat fits into the rollbar and thus no protection.

Anyone else have these concerns or know of any bad accidents to support this theory.

Shawn

• Admin

I am 6' 0" also and I do not fit in a Boxster - I look through the visor.

Problem is most of my height is in my torso not my legs.

Interesting enough when I sat in a Cayman in the showroom I didn't have the same problem - so they must have changed something.

I am 6' 0" also and I do not fit in a Boxster - I look through the visor.

Problem is most of my height is in my torso not my legs.

Interesting enough when I sat in a Cayman in the showroom I didn't have the same problem - so they must have changed something.

If they fixed it for the Cayman then I have to say Boo to Porsche for not getting it right the first time for the American and Scandinavian markets (the tall freaks of the world now!) in the boxster. An extra inch in any direction makes a huge difference to rider comfort. I personally think the bottom bolsters pinch to much which raises me a good inch more then needed. Even the wife at 5'4" (120lbs) agrees the butt is tight. Since the width from door to drive tunnel is so narrow the rider would be held in nicely for spirted driving w/o the bolster having to be so tight! If I could get the seat to drop one more inch I would be heaven and feel safe too!

I personally don't have issues with the visor or headliner with the top up, to my surprise. I was disappointed with the scrary feeling of skull to roll bar though. All they would have to do is raise the seat back slightly to accommodate that concern.

At 6' I am only two inches above normal for the US but I'm sure I"m still in an acceptable range of norm that Porsche had to of considered!

Before I bought my Boxster I read a review of some Road&Track or Autoweek review where the driver claimed to be 6"3" and amazed that he was comfortable in the Boxster.

I'm 6'0" and although the ride fit is not to bad I have to have the seat 100% back and tonight I noticed that my head would be smashed into the rear roll bar if in a frontal or rear incident. The seats are not tall enough to protect the whiplash affect, basically the seat fits into the rollbar and thus no protection.

Anyone else have these concerns or know of any bad accidents to support this theory.

Shawn

You need to buy a Boxster 987. You will fit much better! :)

Shawn

I am 6'2" and am worried that the rear crown of my head would bash open if I was ever to get hit. I have thought about swapping out my seats for something sportier and taller!

Shawn

I am 6'2" and am worried that the rear crown of my head would bash open if I was ever to get hit. I have thought about swapping out my seats for something sportier and taller!

Since the FEDs get so fired up about far minsignificantcant recalls for safety I'm very surprised they don't consider this a major concern! They must have used dummies that were 5'5" to test the cars!

Me too. I'm like Loren, 6' and all my height is in the torso so I sit next to my 6'5" son and we are the same height. I've been conscious of having to have the seat positioned so that my head wouldn't hit the roll bar (been in both a front and a rear end collision in my Boxsters) even if that means I wouldn't have the optimum driving position. To me that means 3/4 of the way back and not as tilted as much as I'd like.

No complaint on the seats in terms of width.

I just recently made the change from a 986 to a 987, the newer car does seem to be larger with respect to the amount of headroom. I did find however that I could adjust the height of the seat so low, I'm sure other motorists thought that I was sitting on the floor. FWIW I am 5'10"

With regards to the 987 I read that they extended to height of the roll bar slightly for better protection in the unfortunate event of a roll-over, also that the actual seats are different as well, not sure about the seat width, but the back is definitly higher in the 987.

Afraid one side does not fit all when it comes to us humans.

Real example: I am 6'2" and fit comfortably. A friend is the same 6'2" and hits his head on the roof. He has a longer body and shorter legs than me. Head size, neck length, body length, leg length are all a bit variable even if you are the same height. You'll need to speak to a higher authority than the Porsche designer about this :-)

Afraid one side does not fit all when it comes to us humans.

Real example: I am 6'2" and fit comfortably. A friend is the same 6'2" and hits his head on the roof. He has a longer body and shorter legs than me. Head size, neck length, body length, leg length are all a bit variable even if you are the same height. You'll need to speak to a higher authority than the Porsche designer about this :-)

No question that I would agree we are all different but again I'm standard size in my circle of friends and family but I really believe if you push your head back being 2" inches taller then me that you head must touch the roll bar slightly. Now apply 30,000lbs of force from being rearended and see how they connect...say ouch!

• Moderators
Since the FEDs get so fired up about far minsignificantcant recalls for safety I'm very surprised they don't consider this a major concern! They must have used dummies that were 5'5" to test the cars!

I now forget more than I remember, so do not quote me.

On the 986 you did not order the memory seats if you were tall, or whatever this option was called, because the seat height was raised due to all the motors and stuff under the seat. The 996 sunroof also reduced head height.

The seat height was reduced on the 987/Cayman. A different company makes the 987 seats and they do not look like the 986 seats. Now you also get a steering wheel that moves up and down. It is in the publications, but I do not remember the details. Also, the roll bars on the 987 are at a different angle. This is so you tall 987 owners can fit, and slide the seat back a bit more.

On the 986 if you slid the seat all the way back and tilted it back, then the top of the seat wants to push out that black plastic mesh thing.

So, here is the dummy....

post-4-1161829973_thumb.jpg

I'm 6.0 and I fit in the boxster just fine. You guys are sittting to straight up in the seat then if your head is soo close.. You'll have ot assume more of a "gangsta" seating position to fix that problem.

heat close to the back not the roof or front...leaning back gangsta style is in fact when the head meets the bar!

I bought a 987 purely on the basis of seat position and comfort (also 6'4"). I see that in the tequipment brochure for the 986 there is a sports recaro syle seat. It's possible that a seat change may solve the problem for taller drivers with a 986.

Actually you can probably find a nice pair of matching Recaro sport seats for about $1600 US. They won't be the 5 point racing versions but they will fit you like a glove and look like a million $$.

At 5'10 I fit perfectly in the stock seat. Not a lot of wiggle room as it should be in a performance sports car. I do try to limit trips to 2hrs. If I want big, soft, wide, cushy seats for a long trip I drive the Lexus instead and then suffer the complete absence of road feel and driver involvment. It's all a tradeoff.

For me the question is simple...If I really didn't fit in the car it's time for new seats or a new car. I have been in a few spectacular crashes in my day including a triple rollover. I don't want my head banging around on the roll bar.

Edited by Topless

Actually you can probably find a nice pair of matching Recaro sport seats for about $1600 US. They won't be the 5 point racing versions but they will fit you like a glove and look like a million $$.

For me the question is simple... new seats/new car?? I have been in a few spectacular crashes in my day including a triple rollover. I don't want my head banging around on the roll bar.

We'll when money is no object you got a good point. If you have been in that many roll-over you are a danger to society! or do you track race quite a bit?

My seats are mint condition so it would be a bummer to have to spend that kind of money just to get a seat thats 2" higher but I could defer the cost with my good seats...and even then who know sure w/o mounting them if they will do the trick. Like I said I'm blown away this car went out the factory door with nobody concerned about the factory seat being such a liability!

If you have been in that many roll-over you are a danger to society! or do you track race quite a bit?

Yes I did quite a bit of racing in my youth...when I thought I was invincible. The rollover was in my truck on the way to work. A woman on her cel phone totally blew a red light and T-boned me at the drivers side rear wheel and over I went. Just a few scratches and bruises. No serious injuries to either driver. We were very blessed. It was a pretty wild ride though and it could happen to anyone.

Edited by Topless

If you have been in that many roll-over you are a danger to society! or do you track race quite a bit?

Yes I did quite a bit of racing in my youth...when I thought I was invinceable. The rollover was in my truck on the way to work. A woman on her cel phone totally blew a red light and T-boned me at the drivers side rear wheel and over I went. Just a few scratches and bruises. No serious injuries to either driver. We were very blessed. It was a pretty wild ride though and it could happen to anyone.

It can happen to anyone, i was thinking you have done it quite a few times on the road! I have an uncle that has totaled 3 corvettes in 20 years on the road (not track) and he is a very dangerous man to allow on the streets!

Searched for Recaro and the cheapest leather is going to run about $1300 each (x2 for looks) and it will take some serious research to determine if the back is considerably higher!

Does anyone know of a chain in the midwest that "stocks" Recaro in a showroom?