Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

How to activate reverse gear mirror tilt feature?

My manual simply says "your Porsche dealer can activate this feature"........well, I can't walk into that place without spending a fortune. Actually, on my first return trip I was forced off the road and over a street sign, a mere 75 yards from the dealership. Sustained $5K in repairs on my 9 day old car........the other driver sped off & no witnesses stopped either. Small children within a 1 mile radius probably learned a few new words that afternoon!

Anyways, I read elsewhere online that with the ignition on (but not running), car in reverse, mirror selector set to driver side, then press buttons for the memory seat settings will activate this feature.

I just tried a couple combinations in the garage, but got no results.

Anybody care to try explaining this process a little better? As always, the wisdom here is appreciated.

Andrew

PS: If anyone can also explain how to activate the auto door lock options that would be welcome too. I'd prefer the option that locks the door once the car hits 3-5 MPH, but it would be fun to know how to do them all.

PPS: If it matters, its a 2000 C2 cabriolet.

If it is even possible to have a worse dealer than the one I have here in Las Vegas, then you may be in trouble. I simple killed them with kindness and ask them if they would kindly turn on the mirror down feature, the auto-lock feature AND the OBC. They did all gratis. It took a whopping 5 minutes. All they do is hook up your car to their PST2 Tool and scroll through a few menus, find the one that has the features, and VOILA' it's all active. If they want to charge you for the service, then just tell them that they have got to be kidding and there is not a simgle person you have talked to that has been charged (friends from other cities on P-Car message boards). Then.......ask for the number to PCNA customer service so that you can comment on their service (they hate that!)

For them to do this is one of the simplist PR strategies they can employ. Especially, the OBC which comes with EVERY car and they only turn on those which get the entire menu driven OBC. Some people just want the temp. And.....if I am not mistaken, the owners manual states there are several options that you can have (i.e., lock immediately, lock after 5 mph, no lock, etc.) and that you just need to visit your local dealer to "adjust" those items.

I am curious to know how it turns out. keep me posted

:cheers:

-Dell

This is so funny. I am new to my P-car, but from the very beginning I had a sneaking suspicion that the OBC option was preinstalled and able to be turned on and off. That this is true is rather annoying to me, but alas... I didnt buy this car to stare at my average gas milage.

However... If I can get it turned on, that would be neat. :) Don't you have to have an extra control arm sticking out of your steering column, though?

I guess I am going to try to find a tech in ATL who is feeling generous.

Has anyone heard of a private porsche owner who has his/her own computer to se these settings?

My curiosity has been ignited.

Patrick

Edited by yellow2k

thanks for the tips..........I simply can't get it to work on my own. I guess i'll have to pester the dealer......as much as it pains me to over such a nitpicky little item. I'd rather bank their goodwill for when i might really need it, like an RMS failure!

Andrew

thanks for the tips..........I simply can't get it to work on my own. I guess i'll have to pester the dealer......as much as it pains me to over such a nitpicky little item.

Wahaha..... :clapping: :D I got this passenger mirror tilt down function working !!! (maybe I should not laugh right now since I just found 2 scratches on my rear bumper....... :( )

Anyway, Andrew, if you have not yet pestered your dealership, try the following steps:

1. Switch ignition on (you don't need to start the engine)

2. VERY IMPORTANT ! Shift to "REVERSE" gear

3. Store your memory seat (keep pressing M and press 1 or 2)

Now you should get it working ! :cheers:

I have struggled to make this function working for almost one hour..... finally get it worked !!! :thumbup:

Thanks for all the tips thus far.........I still cant make it happen. I'll just have to suck it up and pester a dealer.

Sadly the local dealer hasn't offered me anything in the way of "courtesy services"........I guess they don't see me as a regular customer worth going the extra mile for. It might have something to do with the fact I own & operate a landscape company and actually get my hands dirty. Usually I only have time to stop by during work hours when I'm understandably dresssed in something other than a 3 piece suit or whatever their customary "upscale clientele" wear. Frequently I feel like I'm "invisible" there, and when they do finally get around to noticing me I get some pretty odd looks when covered in mud or grass clippings and asking about Porsche service!

Perhaps I'll stop in another dealer and see if they want my future business. Maybe they can look past my work attire and realize my money is as good as anybody elses'.

Andrew

• 2 months later...

able2ski,

If the dealer can't see the golden opportunity to have a lifelong customer by treating you politely and with respect then he doesn't deserve your business. When dealers treat me that way I take my business elsewhere -- after politely telling them.

Good luck,

Mark

• Admin
It would be cool to figure out how to enable this to work with just the regular seats if possible :)

The control unit for mirror memory is only in the seats with seat memory option M537 (left seat memory) and M538 (right seat memory).

My C4S has got standard memory seats. I activated the window tilt down by memorizing the seat position in the car with the (tiptronic) gear in reverse. It works, right mirror tilts down while i have the car in reverse.

The dealer where i bought my car, told me to come in when i have 3000 km for a free check-up. I went there this afternoon to make an appointment. If you have a question for them, just let me know and i will ask ...

I will be at the dealer on monday.

I tried, and I tried, and I tried, but it just didn't work.  99' with memory seats.

Oh well

Dean

I had a '99 Carrera and my recollection is that there were a few options that had to be set by the dealer, such as the outside temp appearing in the tach, auto door locking, and--I believe--the passenger mirror tilt function was one as well. I sold that car over 4 years ago, so my memory may not be correct, but it's worth a try asking the dealer, since it's a useful thing to have.

Setting this feature in my '04 Carrera is different than it was in my '02 Carrera--I guess they can't make up their minds!

• 11 years later...

Hi All

First time post.  i have the memory seats and the reverse mirror has been working till today when i noticed that it now only drops slightly.  i can manually move the mirror using the directional circle switch but it will no longer automatically drop when in reverse.  I have tried reprogramming with no success. any thoughts gratefully received.  2002 C4s

Edited by Charlie87

Charlie,

sometimes you need to simply reset the mirror memory.  no rational explanation, its another "mysterious Porsche issue."

I've had mirrors settings messed up by people walking by and pushing on the mirror, or if I dry a mirror too vigorously after a rain.

Here's a neat trick someone on the forum posted a few years ago.  If you're bothered by bright lights behind you, leave all your seat settings alone but tilt both mirrors downward and then program the M2 setting.  Voila, you have an instant way to avoid glaring lights from behind.  once set, just remember to hold the button down until the mirrors completely stop as there is not a full auto function in the seat controls.