Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Should I Get A 996?

its all relative to the individual, u should test drive it and see if its a better fit for you as far as power, looks, space and what makes u feel better when u pass by a car full of hotties lol. I call that the hotty test, usually i use that as a tie breaker in the event of a tie of pros and cons. ;-)

more power

better looks

not the "poor man's" Porsche

finally would be able to own a top model of a car (had 3 bimmers none of which were an ///M)

I would be actually able to see whats going on when I look in the rear view mirror instead of looking through a small blurry plastic window

having fun with all the modifications I would do, the list could keep going but those are the basics for doing the switch.

Going from a convertible to a coupe (you don't specify but you do mention getting away from the plastic window)? Wouldn't you miss driving around with the top down? I have a '00 C2 cab and wouldn't want a coupe. I drive around with the top down 90% of the time. Plus, I have a hardtop for the winter. I do have to put up with the blurry plastic window though when it's raining or on cold mornings.

When I was buying a car, I was looking for a Boxster but decided to get a 996 instead because of the back seat is usable in a pinch and it's nice to drop groceries back there too. Plus, I agree that I really didn't want the "poor man's Porsche". ;)

Going from a convertible to a coupe (you don't specify but you do mention getting away from the plastic window)? Wouldn't you miss driving around with the top down? I have a '00 C2 cab and wouldn't want a coupe. I drive around with the top down 90% of the time. Plus, I have a hardtop for the winter. I do have to put up with the blurry plastic window though when it's raining or on cold mornings.

When I was buying a car, I was looking for a Boxster but decided to get a 996 instead because of the back seat is usable in a pinch and it's nice to drop groceries back there too. Plus, I agree that I really didn't want the "poor man's Porsche". ;)

Yep, thats mainly it: I don't like driving the poor man's Porsche, although it is a fantastic car and I would recommend it any day but plain and simple I would rather have the higher end model. Shallow but true. No flames please =)

I too had a (bought from new) Box S. The best two seater softy I.M.H.O. I did love the top down on the relatively few dry days we have here in the UK. People say its the poor mans Porsche, mainly guys with 911's or people who are jealous that they cant afford any kind of Porsche at all!!! I bought mine because i wanted a two seater sports car and the Box was and still is the best. I could have had a 996, but i didnt want that at that time.....

However, when it came time to sell the box i decided it WAS the time for a 911, and it had to be the daddy of 911's for me.....

All in all i would recommend a 996, although the interior and driving position etc etc is pretty much the same as your Box (ofcourse) so it wont be a 'change' for you, but hey, if it aint broke dont fix it was my way of thinking. If you like the wind in your hair thing, then maybe consider a cab, although again I.M.H.O a cab has a big arse and the lines are no where near as beautiful. Some purists would also say that only the coupe should wear the 911 badge (or so i've read).

Either way you cant go far wrong, so good luck and enjoy..........

i went from a Boxster S to a 996 Cab. The Box was easier and more fun to drive. the 996 is more comfortable, powerful, and newer, so more luxurious. I have yet to become driver enough to get the kind of performance in the curvies out of the 996 that I got out of the 986, but someday...

the 996 does get more looks. But as my son said when i told him that people said the Box was a girlie car- "At least it is a Porsche." Poor mans or not, it is a different class of vehicle.

We went from a 99 Boxster to a 99 996 Cab, but we had both cars simultaneously for about a year and a half. I love the extra power of the 996 and the slightly nicer interior, and also that the power top is completely automatic from start to finish, but I really miss some things on the Boxster, such as:

1) the perfectly balanced feeling of the 986 - I felt more comfortable in high-speed corners with the 986 than my rear-heavy 996, and when driving the Boxster, you really feel a lot lighter and more nimble on the road.

2) the high-pitched F1-type howl of the PSE on the small displacement 986 - LOVED IT, but will never have that with a 3.4L (deeper/lower-frequency sound)

3) the stopping power of the 986 (with Pagid pads) - another benefit of the light weight

4) IMHO, the Boxster actually looks better (less hardtop), especially the rear perspective

If the status thing is a factor for you, I won't be able to convince you not to make the switch, because people really do respect the 911 a lot more than they did the Boxster. If driving satisfaction is more of a factor and you're not too much of a pure power junkie, stick with the Boxster. Some day, when I don't need the back seats anymore, I will switch back.

Drive the car that puts a smile on your face.

FWIW, when I decided to get another Porsche, everything I read indicated that the Boxster was a better buy--if not a better car. Better value for the money, better handling, etc. I went to the dealership simply to confirm that it was the car I wanted.

However, during the test drive, I just could not "make friends" with the suspension on the rougher roads in our area. Very disappointing. Returned from the test drive and drove an '03 996 Cab and it was like coming home again (after owning 3 Porsches in the past). While the ride was firm, it was pliant; better sense of interior room; handling that was familiar to me. So, I left with the '03 996.

Part of your experience about a car is how you feel about it. For some years I owned a '67 Fiat Dino (with the Ferrari Formula II V-6 engine). The car's value went down the first day the factory put the Fiat badge on it (although it was never built by Fiat and had almost no Fiat parts on it {it was built by Pinninfarina & later in the Ferrari factory}). The first thing a number of owners do is pull the Fiat badges off the car; some go so far as to find "dancing horses" to put on the front grill.

I was talking to a friend one day who was proud to have grown a particular flower in her garden. Some visitors walked by and started laughing. The plant was a weed in their part of the country. So, we tend to value what there is less of or harder to come by -- regardless of its inherent qualities.

Drive what puts a smile on your face. A Noble? Model A? WWII Duck? You see some kids driving their first car, a real junker, like it's the greatest thing ever made....while the Ferrari owner scowls because it's not an Enzo....or a gold plated Enzo....or....

If you like the wind in your hair thing, then maybe consider a cab, although again I.M.H.O a cab has a big arse and the lines are no where near as beautiful. Some purists would also say that only the coupe should wear the 911 badge (or so i've read).

Well, I'd certainly agree that the cab isn't as nice looking with the top up. But, you buy a cab to keep the top down whenever possible. Only time I have my top up is on cold mornings or when it's raining. I'll pop the hardtop on in a couple weeks once warm weather says goodbye for the year.

I went from a new 04 Boxter S manual, to a preowned 99 996 cab tip. I am tall, and the boxter was to snug. Love all leather interior of the 996. Love the power too. The car feels more "sleepy" at low rews than the Boxter, but I wouldn't change back. Yes, the Boxter corners a bit better, but who cares, the 996 is plenty good... after all it is a porsche, no? :D

I gave up an '02 Boxster, 2.7L with 32k miles, for an '03 911 C2 with 23k miles. The Boxster was artic silver and had a sports touring package, the 911 is seal grey. I wouldn't change back for anything. However I wish I could have kept the Boxster. Because the interiors are so similar, it's a crazy experience driving the 911. I believe driving the Boxster caused me to deeply appreciate the 911. I agree that the Boxster is a very good looking car with the top down. But it doesn't quite match the view of the 911's C-pillars from the driver's seat. And my Boxster had a quiet exhaust, but a great engine sound after 4000 rpm. The 911's sound experience is completely different and completely satisfying. My Boxster had poor gas mileage, but the cost to insure it was low. The Boxster had a soft ride compared to the 911. You might want to consider the cost of ownership of a 911. There's a difference there, too

• 2 weeks later...

I had a 98 boxster. It was great; however, I sold it for school purposes. Now, I can't concentrate at school knowing that I rid myself of my pride an joy of being a Porsche owner. Now, I am ready to buy a 996 '02. Beautiful in all it's ways, but it has a lot of miles on it. Over 80k. But for me, the price was right; it will be my weekend getaway car (aka garage queen). Therefore, I'm okay with the high miles. As a student, I cannot afford to buy a 911 in pristine shape. I'm buying it to remind myself of my goals and ambition. Call it crazy, but I've been more focused and study a lot better than before. It may have been because I've regretted getting rid of my Boxster long ago.

Buy your 996 if it makes you happy. If I were you, I would do it because it sounds like you feel restricted. In other words, no matter how much you upgrade your boxster you won't feel complete without owning a 911.

I drive an '01 Boxster and my wife drives an '05 Carrera. When we take her car, I end up driving. They are very different cars. The Carrera is a much more luxurious GT car compared to the Boxster being more of a pure sports car. I much prefer driving the Boxster, even though it's not as luxurious or powerful - way more fun to drive. She prefers the Carrera because it's got more room inside (this coming from someone who isn't even 5'3") and the leather seats are nicer.

The '99 996 was the first year the 996 came out, and the engine isn't much larger than your Boxster S. It's also a heavier car, so you probably won't feel tons more power. If you are trading the top-of-the-line Boxster for an older entry-level Carrera (it's not an S or an all wheel drive or a GT3 or a Turbo or a cabriolet), you should make sure you're not going to be less happy realizing you're at the bottom of the 996 food chain. The early 996s look just like a Boxster in the front, and some 911 guys look down on them because of that.

A friend of mine had Ruf put a Carrera S engine with the powerkit in a brand new Boxster S before he took delivery. It was 80% of a Carrera GT at 20% of the cost, but it still looked like a Boxster (except for the Ruf hood emblem). He does not feel like his car is "inferior" to a 911. (He also likes it a lot better than the Ferrari he used to drive)

Not intending to be flippant, but if you can afford it, keep the Boxster AND buy the 996 as well. I guarantee you will not worry about what people think when you drive the Boxster. Or keep the Boxster and buy an older, air cooled 911 and you can look down on all the water cooled 996s because they're not real (i.e., air cooled) Porsches. [You're the one who said you're rationale was shallow]

None of this is intended to inflame or insult anyone. Any car you buy with a Porsche emblem on the hood is going to be great. But you should understand what you're trading out of and what you're trading in to.

It's also possible to replace a scratched up rear plastic window

If this is just a mid-life crisis thing, keep the Boxster - http://www.autotrader.co.uk/EDITORIAL/CARS/news/36597.html

Edited by geoff

My turn, my turn... ;-)

I've had 2 Boxsters, 01 and 05, and moved "back" to an 03 996 partly because of baby room, partly because I wanted to try one.

On the power side of things, I think a 996 will bury a 986S, there no arguing with engine displacement and the kick in the butt is felt a lot more... You lose a little of that boxster magic at turn in, but really, you can tell Porsche put their money in the 996. It feels solid and is a great performer on track. If you had a modern boxster (987) the 996 would be a step backwards in terms of interior and ergonomics, but coming from your model year, it's a total wash and you get 2 back seats for "stuff" and a quieter ride. Both cars are out of warranty and equally likely (or unlikely, if you are a glass half full type) to cost you money with bad RMS or grenading engines, but given that the cost of repairs is very similar between the 2 cars, I'd rather have a 996 motor after getting reamed by the dealer ;-)

I totally agree that the boxster is probably a better driving car overall, but suffers greatly in terms of image. And they're a dime a dozen on the road, it seems. At the end of the day, you've had the boxster, try something new... if you get tired of it there's always the cayman next ;-)

80Kmi ? well, if the motor's dry and still running, chances are it'll stay that way. Either way, I'd suggest you purchase one of those $3000+ warranties that your closest dealer will honor, and stop worrying about a thing for 4 years... FActor it in your purchase price...

Edited by deschodt