Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Reccommended Travel Tools

I'm a fairly new 986 owner and plan to drive my car to Florida for Thanksgiving (+/- 1600 mi's). Trying to put together some tools to carry in the trunk and asking for what you'd add to the list, and more importantly....why?

Anyway, here's what I have so far:

Bentley

Fuses

Multi-Meter

Hex Sockets

Star Sockets

Ratchets - Extensions

Hammer

Open End Wrenches

Wire Cutter - Wire

Door Panel Tool (works great on convertible top ball ends)

Torque Wrench

Screw Drivers (offset also)

Knife

Pliers (straight, channel locks)

Got what I consider to be the almost "perfect" bag to carry them..........

http://www.mytoolstore.com/klein/5200-15.html

Why? What makes you think the Boxster is that unreliable?

A list of dealers along the way.

A pumped up spare tire

A standard Boxster toolkit and jack. Especially a wheel lock socket. Make sure it is complete.

An old towel for cleaning the windows. Rain-X them before you go twice. A bottle of Windex fits behind the passenger seat.

Wipers checked for condition and flexibility.

Tire gage.

A box of Kleenex.

A quart of oil.

All fluids topped of and checked.

In short, the same sort of stuff I take in my Acura TL. I don't expect the Porsche to be any less reliable and I sure don't want to carry the weight you are proposing.

Why? What makes you think the Boxster is that unreliable?

I don't expect the Porsche to be any less reliable and I sure don't want to carry the weight you are proposing.

I don't think the Boxster is "that unreliable". I do however like to be prepared.

As to the weight I'm proposing to carry, it's much less than a 1/2- to 1/4 of a fully loaded suitcase.

Since i've owned the car, I've done the poly-rib belt, new front brakes, oil change, air filter, etc............. so I'm fairly comfortable doing repairs. My car is a 97 (soon to be 11 years old), with which I have exactly two months experience, and fewer miles than I'm taking on this trip. So, forgive me for sounding paraniod, but I'm not being unrealistic IMHO. Been there, done that, been stranded!

I don't want to call the "nearest dealer" and be charged $1000 for something I can address for $25..........

This makes sense to me, maybe not to all.

Edited by tah

I'm skeptical

You'll be able to do the repair you need to do without a set of manuals, spare parts, etc. Every time I've tried something like you are trying, I've spent lots of $$ and gotten no real benefit out of the effort. I ended up with lots of spares I had never used when I sold the car. Because there are too many things that can go wrong, and I couldn't anticipate them all.

I carry spare bulbs and belts. An extra good lug nut wrench, an old shower curtain to put on the ground, and a piece of plywood to help stabilize the jack, and a old towel and some window cleaner. A warning triangle.

On a '97, if there was one thing I'd do before leaving, it might be replace the AOS if that hasn't been done already.

You could also look at my list of common problems to see if any other preventive work makes sense. Only thing I can think of is the ignition switch.

Have a safe trip.

[One other item that I recently added to my carry on bag, a wheel bolt alignment tool. It's a brass rod about 8" long that screwss into one of the lug bolt holes and allows you to hang the wheel onto it while alinging the rest of the lug bolts on. Makes reinstalling a wheel a snap. Since it's brass it doesn't scratch the rims. You can get it from Performance, here;s the link. worth every penny.

http://www.automotion.com/productpage.aspx...amp;part=196834

[One other item that I recently added to my carry on bag, a wheel bolt alignment tool. It's a brass rod about 8" long that screwss into one of the lug bolt holes and allows you to hang the wheel onto it while alinging the rest of the lug bolts on. Makes reinstalling a wheel a snap. Since it's brass it doesn't scratch the rims. You can get it from Performance, here;s the link. worth every penny.

Doesn't this come with some of our tool-kits? Is this in the 987 Boxster? Thanks.

On a '97, if there was one thing I'd do before leaving, it might be replace the AOS if that hasn't been done already.

Thought about doing the AOS, but wanting to wait until a few months down the road. Just changed the oil and don't really feel like dropping the oil pan just yet.

Is this something that definately will go bad and is just a matter of time? Or have some folks never had a problem?

Edited by tah

Thought about doing the AOS, but wanting to wait until a few months down the road. Just changed the oil and don't really feel like dropping the oil pan just yet.

Is this something that definately will go bad and is just a matter of time? Or have some folks never had a problem?

The AOS is a pretty common repair, from what I have seen.

Doesn't this come with some of our tool-kits? Is this in the 987 Boxster? Thanks.

I have a 986 S (2002) which I purchased this year and it did not have this. If it came with the car's tool kit the original owner took it with him. I can see why.

I'm a fairly new 986 owner and plan to drive my car to Florida for Thanksgiving (+/- 1600 mi's). Trying to put together some tools to carry in the trunk and asking for what you'd add to the list, and more importantly....why?

Anyway, here's what I have so far:

Bentley

Fuses

Multi-Meter

Hex Sockets

Star Sockets

Ratchets - Extensions

Hammer

Open End Wrenches

Wire Cutter - Wire

Door Panel Tool (works great on convertible top ball ends)

Torque Wrench

Screw Drivers (offset also)

Knife

Pliers (straight, channel locks)

Got what I consider to be the almost "perfect" bag to carry them..........

http://www.mytoolstore.com/klein/5200-15.html

You might want to add one of those small, cigarette lighter plug-driven air compressors to inflate your tires if necessary. You can get a small, inexpensive one at Harbor Freight Salvage (.com).

Regards, Maurice.

You might want to add one of those small, cigarette lighter plug-driven air compressors to inflate your tires if necessary. You can get a small, inexpensive one at Harbor Freight Salvage (.com).

Regards, Maurice.

You may want to consider a can of flat fixer. I don't know if you can get a full sized tire in your trunk especially with all of things you're carrying. I know a couple of months ago there was a lot of discussion about getting a wheel in the trunk and the general consensus was that it was very difficult to do so.

I have a 986 S (2002) which I purchased this year and it did not have this. If it came with the car's tool kit the original owner took it with him. I can see why.

I found one here:

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant...y_Code=POTEBXWH

you do not need to drop the oil pan to replace the A/OS that Mike is talking about. while there are two air-oil separators in the oil pan, the one Mike is referring to is located on top of the engine (passenger side). you also do not need to change the oil to replace this part. there is a great how-to on Mike's site that details everything. http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/mikespor...boxsterwebpages - scroll down to 'AOS Replacement'.

and BOOKMARK THIS PAGE - you will need it! trust me. ;)

i have a 97 as well. the AOSes go bad at around 60K miles. so you're probably fine for quite a while. eventually you will need to do this, but i don't think that it should be a concern at this point.

one thing that you really want to replace on a 97 is the conv top cables. the older models' cables are notorious for stretching, effectively pushing the conv top drive cable out of the conv top cable motor (located by the 3rd brake light, underneath the clamshell). you will want to do this as soon as possible if the cables have not been changed already (sounds like they haven't). but for this trip, i don't see it as a necessity. just make sure you do get it taken care of - SOON. this problem can cause a lot of (expensive) damage to the conv top parts, and for around $60 in parts you can prevent this from happening. just remember if you hear god-awful popping/snapping/breaking noises when you are operating the conv top, LET GO OF THE CONV TOP BUTTON. ;)

I found one here:

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant...y_Code=POTEBXWH

Definitely not on my 987, likely not since they removed the spare tire and jack!

I bought 2 though, makes hanging the tires/wheel assembly a whole lot easier!

Man, you guys are so paranoid! :)

My wife and I drove our Boxster from California to Michigan with the following tool kit:

1) Cell phone

2) Visa card

My garage has welder, air compressor, various grinders and cutters, hydraulic press, jacks, stands, steel to fabricate frame and suspension parts, engines laying about in various states of assembly, turbochargers, engine stands, hoists and all sorts of crap like that, but there's no way in hell I'm carrying any of that with me when I drive anywhere.

Eric

Man, you guys are so paranoid! :)

My wife and I drove our Boxster from California to Michigan with the following tool kit:

1) Cell phone

2) Visa card

My garage has welder, air compressor, various grinders and cutters, hydraulic press, jacks, stands, steel to fabricate frame and suspension parts, engines laying about in various states of assembly, turbochargers, engine stands, hoists and all sorts of crap like that, but there's no way in hell I'm carrying any of that with me when I drive anywhere.

Eric

You may want to reconsider the hydraulic press, it could come in handy. Just joking :D . I think only a very few of us could do anything major along the road, but I still like to carry the basic screw drivers, star key wrenchs for the minor things that can come up.

I've done two 1600+ roundtrip roadtrips. After I got the problems from the previous owner fixed, I have had no problems. If you have a hardtop make sure you have the correct allen wrenches, and I agree to just check your oil, tire pressure, especially the spare, and take a tire goo bottle, because if your rear tire goes out it won't fit anywhere in the car, or in either trunk. My Boxster is reliable and I am sure most others are as well.

My car has gone coast to coast and all over the western states and all I carry is:

A couple of rags (I always look to see what the problem is before calling the tow truck.)

Cell Phone

GPS

Portable DVD Player (This is for the long tow truck wait.)

Factory Tool Kit (Helpful for properly loading the car on the truck.)

Tire Pump

Fix-A-Flat

Realisticly, there are few problems that can be dealt with while on the road. I had a water pump go out on start of a 6000 mile trip and there was nothing I could do but tow it. I did use the factory wrench one time to adjust a wiper arm.

If you maintain your car well, then trust it and have a good time!

RallyBoxster

www.myspace.com/rallyboxster

I have done 3000+ miles road trip, my baby has gone from Washington to Cali & BACK.
Knowing that it is a very reliable car oh did I mention ? - I drove about 650,000 original miles on my 944(83).
These r what I carried:
1) My laptop(goes everywhere I go)
2) DVD Player to keep my G/F quiet(have a 7.2 indash player)
3) 1-burned music DVD (dual layer 8.4 GB- about 2000 songs, who needs an Ipod?)
4) 12V Power Converter(to charge anything!)
5) 12V tire inflator(a must)
6) Tire plug, patch kit( fix a flat will ruin your tire, don't ever use those)
7) 1 Quart of 0W- 40 Mobil 1 supersyn
8) Enjoying the SUN - PRICELESS ! Edited by juniinc

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I'd check back in. Made the Florida trip and the car was great. Turns out I carried the tools for nothing, but still felt better knowing I had them.

Some A$$h01e backed into ny car and left a very nice dent over the driver rear wheel arch. Got it fixed by one of those paintless dent guys and it's got a little orange peel feel but I can certainly live with it for now. They worked the dent from the taillight opening and now one of my parking lights is intemittent. Took the housing off and jiggled the harness and the light comes back to life. Not sure if it's the bulb or wires, have to troubleshoot that.

Also suspect I need a new ignition switch. Sometimes when I turn the key the starter hasitates before turning. Sometimes when I turn the key nothing, and then when I turn it again it starts right up.

Also saw the airbag light the other day for just a few seconds and then it went away. Looks like I need to look into the seatbelt buckles as mentioned elsewhere. Hope this trend of fixing things comes to a halt soon. I still need the driver door lock mechanism replaced or if I can do it, rebuilt. Looks like I got a part time hobby as well as a Boxster, but I still LOVE the car! Especially loved running through Georgia with a couple of big Mercedes 500's & 550's at 90 ~ 120 and holding my own. Not bad for a car that cost less than 25% of what they paid!

Oh and BTW, I don't think the car used a DROP of oil in 3,000 miles.............

Edited by tah

Just read through this thread.... to address some of the older posts, my 2001 S toolkit did come with a wheel hanger bolt for easier wheel mounting. I have one empty slot in my kit but seem to have all the important stuff in the kit.

But it has the same chromed finish as the lug wrench so I assume it is factory original.

• 2 months later...

YEAH the power converter, great idea, I got sick of all those 12v cigarette lighter charges when all devices have a 120v/240v charger, now I can charge my laptop, camera, phone etc - highly recommended

bruce

I have done 3000+ miles road trip, my baby has gone from Washington to Cali & BACK.

Knowing that it is a very reliable car oh did I mention ? - I drove about 650,000 original miles on my 944(83).

These r what I carried:

1) My laptop(goes everywhere I go)

2) DVD Player to keep my G/F quiet(have a 7.2 indash player)

3) 1-burned music DVD (dual layer 8.4 GB- about 2000 songs, who needs an Ipod?)

4) 12V Power Converter(to charge anything!)

5) 12V tire inflator(a must)

6) Tire plug, patch kit( fix a flat will ruin your tire, don't ever use those)

7) 1 Quart of 0W- 40 Mobil 1 supersyn

8) Enjoying the SUN - PRICELESS !