Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Trade in Shock

Went to my local Porsche dealer for touch up paint. While I was waiting, I paid a visit to the showroom. Just for the heck of it, I asked the salesman how much he would give me if I traded my car in. When he told me he could maybe give me $11000, I almost fell over. I think Ill be driving my Boxster around for awhile ( not saying theres anything wrong with that). I forgot to mention MY2000 base.

Trade-in values are always low. They have to be some the dealer can make a profit. Depending on your mileage I would think your car is worth at least 5-8k more.

There's TONS of Boxsters advertised in Houston for around $13k give or take. It's a rough car market right now. When I was selling my 2004 SUV last year, I watched Blue Book fall almost $1k a month as gas prices skyrocketed. That was really depressing.

Went to my local Porsche dealer for touch up paint. While I was waiting, I paid a visit to the showroom. Just for the heck of it, I asked the salesman how much he would give me if I traded my car in. When he told me he could maybe give me $11000, I almost fell over. I think Ill be driving my Boxster around for awhile ( not saying theres anything wrong with that). I forgot to mention MY2000 base.

I have a friend who bought a Cayenne last year for over $90K. A few weeks ago he went into the dealer and they would only give him $30K on trade in! Ouch!!

I have a friend who bought a Cayenne last year for over $90K. A few weeks ago he went into the dealer and they would only give him $30K on trade in! Ouch!!

Now's the time to buy them if you can afford the gas. I've seen quite a few around here for under $30k. I thought they'd hold their value much better than that.

http://houston.craigslist.org/car/731189193.html

Trade-in values are always low. They have to be some the dealer can make a profit. Depending on your mileage I would think your car is worth at least 5-8k more.

There's TONS of Boxsters advertised in Houston for around $13k give or take. It's a rough car market right now. When I was selling my 2004 SUV last year, I watched Blue Book fall almost $1k a month as gas prices skyrocketed. That was really depressing.

I got an email from the dealer last week saying the were offering above market value for boxster trade-ins because of demand.

Edited by BLAZE_MkIV

Thats the reason I never buy new. When I make a auto purchase it usually under a year old, with about 10000 miles. Its like new & still has that new car smell, with a great discount. Its nice to have a new car, but they lose value very fast.

Thats the reason I never buy new. When I make a auto purchase it usually under a year old, with about 10000 miles. Its like new & still has that new car smell, with a great discount. Its nice to have a new car, but they lose value very fast.

I think you can mitigate a lot of the first year deprecation by skillfully negotiating an equitable purchase price.

i so very envy you guys in the states.

i'm from malaysia. premium cars here are so expensive (high taxes) you guys won't believe them.

i went to a local dealer beginning of the year to enquire about a new 987 boxster S. its a whopping RM 620,000/- basic. RM 670,000/- loaded.

1 USD = RM 3.2 now

thats USD 193,750 for a basic boxster S and USD 209,375 for a loaded one!

i had no choice but to settle for a 2001 used (very low mileage but 2 previous owners!) unit and i had to pay ....

RM 300,000 for it. thats USD 93,750/-

as a layman i would put a middle income executive's average pay at RM 3k - 5k/ month

the more i type the more i sympathize myself for being a malaysian sometimes. :rolleyes:

see how u guys are so much better off in terms of owning a car?

... just FYI

ps never regretted a single day of owning my first porsche!

Here's the solution guys - take really nice care of your care and in about 30 years it'll start going up in value. Then you may have a conversation with a teenager that goes like this:

Teen: Whoa! Is that a Porsche?

You: Yea, an old Boxster 2000 S.

T: No way! Does it still run?

Y: Sure does. Really sweet and fast. (Except for the dang check engine lights, you mutter to yourself)

T: Where do you get gas for this?

Y: I had it coverted to methanol. Gas is too expensive and hard to find. And it's pretty lousy nowdays anyway.

T: Can I get a ride?

Y: Wish I could, but I ran out of carbon credits this month

:drive:

• 1 month later...
Here's the solution guys - take really nice care of your care and in about 30 years it'll start going up in value. Then you may have a conversation with a teenager that goes like this:

Teen: Whoa! Is that a Porsche?

You: Yea, an old Boxster 2000 S.

T: No way! Does it still run?

Y: Sure does. Really sweet and fast. (Except for the dang check engine lights, you mutter to yourself)

T: Where do you get gas for this?

Y: I had it coverted to methanol. Gas is too expensive and hard to find. And it's pretty lousy nowdays anyway.

T: Can I get a ride?

Y: Wish I could, but I ran out of carbon credits this month

:drive:

The sad truth

I got an email from the dealer last week saying the were offering above market value for boxster trade-ins because of demand.

That's a common tactic to get people into the dealership. Doesn't say anything for any car's demand or value, unfortunately.

I think you can mitigate a lot of the first year deprecation by skillfully negotiating an equitable purchase price.

I agree, I traded my 2003 Boxster and my 1991 RX7 on my 2006, they fought hard but in the end I think that the sale price on the 2006 ($10k off sticker), combined with getting exactly what I paid for the 2003 just a few months earlier and a reasonable amount for the RX7 (definitely a niche vehicle, as they had it on the lot for over a year before selling it) combined with the tax savings and I think I made out pretty darn good!

Oh, did I mention that my 2003 needed brakes, tires, a clutch and had only 8 months left on the warranty? :P

You get really low ball trade-in values when the dealer plans to wholesale it out. No Porsche lots around here to check used cars regularly, but some dealers wholesale out vehicles with a certain age or odometer reading. I've heard several say 7 year olds are never on their lot.

Its an awful time to sell real estate or high end/high miles vehicles. And a great time to buy either if you have the money and the time to wait.

Now's the time to buy them if you can afford the gas. I've seen quite a few around here for under $30k. I thought they'd hold their value much better than that.

http://houston.craigslist.org/car/731189193.html

hi . i understand how you's are feeling regarding the price of gas but honetsly you's still have it sooo good the now compared to the price of (gas)petrol in britian. Right now for a litre of regular gas in glasgow will set you back approx $2.40 thats $10.80 a gallon. now thats expensive.