Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Cant afford a spare key/remote for my 04 CTT

just use the blade as any other car and forget the remote until you save up some cash would be my advice...as i'm applying this advice myself:)

hmm... went to walmart but they couldn't do it

then went to the dealer they said they can't just cut the blade they have to dup the key and remote together...

i don't mean to be THAT guy - but how can you afford to drive a CTT and not be able to afford a new key? I practically hemorrhage money keeping my CTT on the road, between 26 gallon premium fillups and 10qt oil changes...

I appreciate the connundrum but don't understand it... the P-car keys/blades have always been expensive but they are no more expensive than a chipped toyota, honda, or acura key - We just sold an acura RDX and 2 days after we bought it, it had ALL 3 keys stolen (we foolishly left them all tied together, as we were still in new car mode) from my wife's purse...

2 blade keys + fobs, + laser cutting, + programming + 1 valet key put the cost over 1200$ - keep in mind this was NOT replacing the lock cylinders or anything (didn't matter, we were out of town far enough that we were certain whoever took the keys wouldn't be in our town - and the keys are chipped so it couldn't have been stolen - just door entry if someone was in the same town)

anyway, point being that 205$ for a blade key/fob is reasonable and cutting/programming for 80$ is just as fair....

i can't tell you the # of times my wife has lost one of these things ...

Yeah, I paid about $220 total for my Cayenne S key fob cut and programming from Porsche Centrum here in Stuttgart - and that was with the exchange rate being terrible. I think the $280 is a bit steep, but in the spirit of what zmw said above - what's a $60 difference?

hmm... went to walmart but they couldn't do it

then went to the dealer they said they can't just cut the blade they have to dup the key and remote together...

If your dealer is telling you that they must duplicate the key blade and the remote together, your dealer is not to be trusted (i.e., your dealer is a thief).

You can go to any reputable locksmith and have a new key blade cut and the key cloned (without the remote function) for about $50.

If you are local, I can give you the address of the locksmith who did exactly that for me in about 5 minutes. You must have a working key with the transponder in there for the locksmith to be able to clone the key.

The locksmith has a little device, that looks like a credit card terminal with a small box on it, that can duplicate the electronic part of the key that starts the car.

I ended up at the locksmith after the dealer wanted almost $500 for a new key. I went back to the dealer with my cloned key and told him that he ever needs any keys cloned when a customer does not want to spend the $$ for the remote functions and just needs a spare, he could send them to the locksmith who is only 5 blocks down the road.

I left some of the locksmith's business cards on his desk. :P

Regards, Maurice.

Same here, I wanted to have an extra key but dealer cost is about $500 so I winced and said no thanks.

I am in NYC area if Maurice can let me know the locksmith do did the clone key would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Lou

Happy Healthy and Prosperous New Year To All

i don't mean to be THAT guy - but how can you afford to drive a CTT and not be able to afford a new key? I practically hemorrhage money keeping my CTT on the road, between 26 gallon premium fillups and 10qt oil changes...

I appreciate the connundrum but don't understand it... the P-car keys/blades have always been expensive but they are no more expensive than a chipped toyota, honda, or acura key - We just sold an acura RDX and 2 days after we bought it, it had ALL 3 keys stolen (we foolishly left them all tied together, as we were still in new car mode) from my wife's purse...

2 blade keys + fobs, + laser cutting, + programming + 1 valet key put the cost over 1200$ - keep in mind this was NOT replacing the lock cylinders or anything (didn't matter, we were out of town far enough that we were certain whoever took the keys wouldn't be in our town - and the keys are chipped so it couldn't have been stolen - just door entry if someone was in the same town)

anyway, point being that 205$ for a blade key/fob is reasonable and cutting/programming for 80$ is just as fair....

i can't tell you the # of times my wife has lost one of these things ...

So i was at the dealer today, and a new key, cut, programmed and everything was 280$ - 208.92 for the key, and 30 minutes for the labor - keep in mind that is also the fob programming for the sit and drive or sit and go or whatever the crap the keyless thing is called ;)

-Z

Same here, I wanted to have an extra key but dealer cost is about $500 so I winced and said no thanks.

I am in NYC area if Maurice can let me know the locksmith do did the clone key would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Lou

Happy Healthy and Prosperous New Year To All

Lou:

As I said, if you have a working key and just want a spare that will open the door and start the car and you are okay with that key not having the remote functions, the locksmith did it for me for about $50.

I bought a blank key blade on eBay for about $10, went to the locksmith and he popped on a rubber "head" on it, and cut the blade. He then put my working key in his "cloning device" next to the new key he had just cut and on which he had installed the little rubber head. In two minutes I had a working key to use as a spare (but again, no remote functions).

I have sent you a PM with the locksmith's address and phone number.

Let us know how you make out, as lots of people are having this particular issue and don't want to spend hundreds at the dealer for a spare key.

Regards, Maurice.

Edited by 1schoir

, if you want to play, you gotta pay

I disagree that just because someone can afford a Turbo they should be happy to give the dealer $500 for a freaking spare key. I manage money for wealthy individuals and most I know go out of their way to save money (on everything.)

Scr$w Porsche (Range Rover, BMW,MBZ, Etc..) on their $500 keys. :censored:

We don't buy "Porsche" batteries when we need one do we? The only reason we buy the keys is because they (Porsche) have us by the short ones and we don't have a choice..

I applaud Maurice on findiing a solution to this.. :clapping:

• Moderators

The blade for Porsche Keys is the same as with VW/Audis, and your local VW dealer can cut the blade for you usually for free. There are several vendors on eBay that sell replacement remotes for Porsche both new and used that are under $100. That just leaves getting the key authenticated with the cars security system, and some dealers will do that for free as well or charge less than $75 to do it.

The blade for Porsche Keys is the same as with VW/Audis, and your local VW dealer can cut the blade for you usually for free. There are several vendors on eBay that sell replacement remotes for Porsche both new and used that are under $100. That just leaves getting the key authenticated with the cars security system, and some dealers will do that for free as well or charge less than $75 to do it.

For a point of reference, one of the dealers on Long Island (South Shore Porsche) has charged $494.00 for a new key. That is what prompted me to do some research.

Some dealers see it as an opportunity to provide good service, and some see it as an opportunity to gouge.

Regards, Maurice.

Thanks to Maurice I have 2 spare keys now. Unfortunately the locksmith was not able to clone my key even just for the fuction of starting the car; remote functions already knew not possible unless from dealer. My CTT has keyless entry and start so maybe that's why. But I am happy to have a couple of spare keys just to open door in case of a lockout or something. I am always anxious during auto car wash and expected the doors may lock by itself anytime and me standing there without a solution except breaking the least expensive glass (I had only 1 key). After I learned that when battery needs replacing electrical mishaps often happens added to my occassional night terror. I was about to breakdown and go to the dealer but now I have 2 spare keys and just need the dealer program them to car, may cost less than $100 hopefully and I'll go when I'm ready. I got the 2 key fobs from ebay about $40 each and the keys cut for $10 each. I know some locksmiths can cut these keys, not all, and the one Maurice recommended was very good. I know for a fact that dealers will program your key. They may not cut the key for you unless you buy it from them (I asked a few dealers already), but they will program it if is already cut. Worst case just say the keys stopped working. I remember reading Cayenne can only accept 2 keys, not sure.

Good Luck with yours

• 2 weeks later...

+1 ... when I purchased my CTT, I purchased several key fob/remotes on eBay. I then got them programmed and key cut by my local Porsche dealership.

Thanks to Maurice I have 2 spare keys now. Unfortunately the locksmith was not able to clone my key even just for the fuction of starting the car; remote functions already knew not possible unless from dealer. My CTT has keyless entry and start so maybe that's why. But I am happy to have a couple of spare keys just to open door in case of a lockout or something. I am always anxious during auto car wash and expected the doors may lock by itself anytime and me standing there without a solution except breaking the least expensive glass (I had only 1 key). After I learned that when battery needs replacing electrical mishaps often happens added to my occassional night terror. I was about to breakdown and go to the dealer but now I have 2 spare keys and just need the dealer program them to car, may cost less than $100 hopefully and I'll go when I'm ready. I got the 2 key fobs from ebay about $40 each and the keys cut for $10 each. I know some locksmiths can cut these keys, not all, and the one Maurice recommended was very good. I know for a fact that dealers will program your key. They may not cut the key for you unless you buy it from them (I asked a few dealers already), but they will program it if is already cut. Worst case just say the keys stopped working. I remember reading Cayenne can only accept 2 keys, not sure.

Good Luck with yours

Hello Maurice and Lou. I am also living in NYC. Can you give me the address of the locksmith. I got a blank key from ebay since last year but I have a hard time finding a locksmith to cut the key. I asked the dealers around the area but they all charging me an arm and a leg for it. I just want to have a spare key just in case.

Thanks

Ken

Hello Maurice and Lou. I am also living in NYC. Can you give me the address of the locksmith. I got a blank key from ebay since last year but I have a hard time finding a locksmith to cut the key. I asked the dealers around the area but they all charging me an arm and a leg for it. I just want to have a spare key just in case.

Thanks

Ken

Ken:

I have sent you a PM with the information.

Regards, Maurice.

• 3 weeks later...

bought a used remote + uncut blade off ebay.

stealer charged $85 to cut the blade while saying the remote is incompatible with my cayenne and wanted me to buy a new remote :o

both the remotes have the same FCC ID: KR55WK45032 CAN: 267 104 187. don't why the new one is incompatible :angry:

by the way, the whole new key/remote/reprogramming package from them is $450

Edited by TopGun2000

The locksmith Maurice recommended charged $10 to cut the key in less than 5 minute. I can't be sure about the remote compatibility, but I am guessing if is the same 2 or 3 buttons as your original remote, it should work. Find a good locksmith in your area and get the key cut, then go to another dealer and say the remote just stopped working. This way they can't BS you with the incompatible crap. If in fact the remote is indeed incompatible for some reason, ask them the part # for the remote and get one somewhere else. You'll find new remotes on ebay sometimes with the part number advertised, less than $90 - I got one for $50 new. $200-$300 for a new key is already pricy but is the average rate for modern cars now. Close to $500 is just ridiculous. It’s almost like the wiper blade strategic pricing scheme; the same part sells for about 30% less at VW. Just because I can afford a Porsche doesn’t mean I am happy to pay way over priced parts. Paying a premium for luxury cars and related services is expected but I won’t just fork over whatever they ask - they get me when I have tunnel vision with them shiny beautiful new cars already every few years. Maybe the easy money crowd doesn’t care but I work hard for mine.

Lou

• 1 year later...

Hate to revert this thread TTT but the key FOB that came with my used vehicle is pretty beat up - it works and does the trick but doesn't exactly exemplify the nice luxurious vehicle I am driving... If i were to use that key as a backup, what is the best way to get a replica key fob made? Is the $290 mentioned above for the Porsche piece, key, programming, and it being cut?

Any cheaper solutions via ebay to get the piece and leave the programming/cut to the stealership?

Thanks