Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Replacing Ac Compressor Clutch

So the last time I had the car at the shop, my mechanic scratched the rear bumper while it was off, and I had to drop it off to repaint it. While there I asked him to check out a noise when I turn on the AC. Weird grinding rubbing noise, and sure enough he called today and said its the AC compressor clutch.

I couldn't find anything in the search about how to replace this, but wondering if its a DIY? He wants 2 hours labour (so $230 CDN or so...that's like 234 USD since the dollar change ;) - Canadians have had a crappy dollar for years, so just let me have this one) plus the cost of the part, which he hasn't named yet. Just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction on this, I don't even know where this part is or what it looks like, as I don't have the car back yet.

Also, I couldn't find this part on pelicanparts site, it this a dealer part I would have to grab from suncoast or something?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Jonas007

• Admin

996.126.011.52 magnetic clutch -- US MSRP $806.98

Removal

1. Use a standard strap wrench to securely hold the pressure plate, and undo the fasteningscrew.

post-1-127117012494_thumb.png

2. Screw a screw M8 into the thread of the pressure plate until the pressure plate can be removed manually. Remove the spacer washers.

3. Use standard Seeger circlip ring pliers to remove the Seeger circlip ring. Manually remove the belt pulley.

4. Unscrew the cable of the magnetic coil from the compressor housing. Remove the Seeger circlip ring. Remove the magnetic coil from the compressor housing.

Installation

1. Place the magnetic coil on the compressor housing. The locking pin must engage in the locking hole.

post-1-127117025261_thumb.png

2. Install the Seeger circlip ring. The slanted surface (arrow) of the Seeger circlip ring faces upwards (to the fastening screw).

post-1-127117027377_thumb.png

3. Tighten the pressure plate fastening screw. Tightening torque: 14 Nm (10 ftlb)

Check the air gap of the magnet coupling

1. Check the air gap between the pressure plate and belt pulley with a depth gauge.

post-1-127117034687_thumb.png

2. Place a rule on the outer edge of the belt pulley.Use a depth gauge to measure up to the pressure plate. Apply battery voltage to the magnetic coupling and measure the distance (air gap) to the attracted pressure plate. Always measure at at least three points on the pressure plate in order to obtain a mean value. Distance: 0.5 mm:t 0.15 mm

3. If the air gap is not in the tolerance range, it must be adjusted with the aid of the spacer washers.

Thanks for the quick reply Loren.

So somehow this tiny magnetic clutch costs more than the transmission clutch?? Wow.

I noticed that pelican sells the whole compressor rebuilt with clutch for cheaper, should I just replace the whole thing at once?

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/996J/POR_996J_VENTac_pg1.htm#item1

• 10 months later...

I purchased a compressor on ebay recently and would like to exchange the clutch that makes noise (the price difference between the clutch and whole compressor with clutch was little...so I have a spare compressor handy if needed). Now the problem: I removed the screw, pressure plate and seeger ring clip. Now the pulley just won't come off. I did hammer with a rubber hammer but that didn't help either. I couldn't find any information from people that have issues with getting the pulley off. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

• 2 months later...

I purchased a compressor on ebay recently and would like to exchange the clutch that makes noise (the price difference between the clutch and whole compressor with clutch was little...so I have a spare compressor handy if needed). Now the problem: I removed the screw, pressure plate and seeger ring clip. Now the pulley just won't come off. I did hammer with a rubber hammer but that didn't help either. I couldn't find any information from people that have issues with getting the pulley off. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

I have your same problem! my indy just told me that it's possible to change the bearing inside the magnetic clutch that's usually causing the noise, now I'm keeping the noise, until I find the right way to remove the pulley...

post-36228-0-14741500-1305568681_thumb.j

I have your same problem! my indy just told me that it's possible to change the bearing inside the magnetic clutch that's usually causing the noise, now I'm keeping the noise, until I find the right way to remove the pulley...

Forgot to update this thread....make sure it's really the magnetic clutch and not another roller. In my case I used a mechanic stetoskop to find out that it is a deflection roller next to the magnetic clutch that is responsible for the noise: http://porsche996tur...rom-engine.html

Edited by fedmax

Anytime you have a noise in the belt drive train first elimination process is to remove the belt and check each pulley, idler etc for play, noise or rough bearing feel. Your mechanic most likely knows this but the A/C clutch is a much bigger fish! Just my .02 worth!

I already checked all the pulleys by removing the belt first and the noise was really coming from the AC clutch or possibly by the bearing, I finally founded the right bearing size at 2 AM and I got it yesterday, it took me 10 minutes to remove air cleaner, belt, AC clutch and bearing! Now I've no noise anymore!

• 2 months later...
  • 5 years later...

Super old thread but same question.  My compressor's clutch simply *disappeared* last week.  Mechanic looked through the engine compartment on a quick inspection and could not find it.  The compressor looks OK but the electromagnetic clutch plate at the front of the assembly is simply missing and the clutch does not engage. Sunset Porsche now has a full parts catalog online. Clutch by itself is $642; full compressor assembly is $1258 (new, I suppose, 996-126-011-52). Pelican has the full compressor assembly from Denso for $499 (new, 996-126-011-BX-M11), and Porsche compressor assembly with clutch, also new, for $661 (996-126-011-BX-OEM).

Just an additional thought from a DIYer. My AC clutch packed it in last fall and I was presented with all the valuable information that is listed above.

Of note was the price of a new clutch which always included the compressor which in most instances did not need to be replaced. Of course, the replacement of the compressor is a much more involved exercise than the relatively simple replacement of the clutch pulley and its bearing.

I have been involved with auto restoration for decades, and more often than not, new or restored parts were not available. I would find a used part, either refurbish it myself or have it restored by a professional. This mode of thinking somehow does not exist anymore. Everything must be new on installation, presumably because there are no guarantees by dealerships or indys on installation of used goods.

I think a sound used part is more than adequate if the repair is easily performed by a DIYer. IN THE PROPER INSTANCE. DCauto.com has provided excellent used parts for my 2001 C2 and 2003 C4 Cab tip in the past including an excellent AC clutch for $100 including shipping. (3 years working normally). No need to use the electromagnetic coil if just the pulley/bearing requires replacing.  I hope members will not think this thread blasphemous but this solution has worked for me for decades.

1958 Austin Healey BN6

1960 Austin Healey BN7

1957 Jaguar XK140 OTS

1952 Jaguar XK120 Coupe

1957 Austin Healey BN6

2001 Porsche 996 C2 Coupe

2003 Porsche 996 C4 Cab tip

Edited by judibake
error

@Judibake, this is great info.  I was not even aware of DCauto.com and yes, they have a used clutch for $100. In my case, it looks like the outer pressure plate unscrewed itself and simply fell off.  I looked all around the engine compartment and there's no sign of it.

IMG_1810.jpg

I bought a used clutch from local PartsHeaven (delivered the next day), $150 plus tax and shipping.  They decided it was easier to just send me a whole compressor instead of pulling the clutch off.  It took 30 seconds to remove the clutch pressure plate from the "new" compressor and 20 minutes to install it on my compressor, most of the time being to R&R the air filter housing. That is the quickest saving of $1000+ ever. Seems to work fine, at least it spins when the A/C control is turned on and doesn't when it's not.

So if anyone needs a used Denso compressor without the outer clutch pressure plate, I've got an extra :-).

• 2 years later...