The RennTech.org community is Member supported!  Please consider an ANNUAL donation to help keep this site operating.
Click here to Donate

Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I want to add the OBC functionality to my MY1999 manual C2 and have been gathering information in preparation, mainly from this great forum. I still have a couple of queries..

I'm aware that I need the OBC enabled at a dealer or similar first, which ever route I go.

I understand the 'one-button' hack and how to install that, probably in a spare dash position.

I was though thinking of replacing my two-stalk indicator assembly with a suitable three-stalk one. If I do this, is it simply plug'n'play, or do I still have to hack into the dash connectors?

On a recent visit to my OPC, I asked them to enable the OBC, so I could at least have the temperature displayed. They said that this was only possible on certain cars, and even then only on certain instrument clusters, looked at my car and said it wasn't possible..

Anyone heard of this? I thought it was possible on all pre-2001 cars with air-con (external temp sensor fitted)...

Thanks as always.

You can remove these ads by becoming a Contributing Member.

You will still have to make the wiring connections to the cluster if you fit a stalk. The good thing is that the OBC stalk lever is screwed to the side of the centre unit, and you can fit it without removing the steering wheel.

ALL pre-faceift cars will show the outside air temperature if you enable the OBC without fitting a switch/stalk.

As usual, thanks Richard.

So if I buy a three stalk assembly, I can remove the third stalk and attach to my existing two stalk assembly?

I assumed there would be a loom with plug on the third stalk which would plug in 'somewhere' near the steering wheel. If that's not the case, how are the connections made to the third stalk from the cluster?

Thanks.

Yes, you can buy a 3-lever stalk and swap the OBC stalk. It has a short loom attached. However, 4-lever stalks are cheaper (if you are buying new).

OK, so I have the VW wires and Porsche connector in hand, and a lead on a three stalk assembly. I've read the various 'how-to's' and I'm looking to do this soon.

I'm visiting an Indy tomorrow to hopefully have my OBC activated, even though my OPC said it couldn't be done.. we will see...

Last question - I understand that the crimp-ends of the VW wires each slot into vacant positions in the dash connector, but where does the other end of the loom plug in? I guess it will be super-obvious when I take it all apart as none of the walk-throughs seem to specifically mention it. Does it plug into the stalk assembly?

Yes one end snaps into place in the cluster and the other end into your stalk or switch.

So.. I took the car to a local indy, Precision Porsche in Uckfield - they had the OBC activated in 15 minutes. They gave me a diagnostic report too (no faults!) and charged me £42 for the privilege.

So much for the guys at my OPC who said it couldn't be done...

I found a dealer who activated my OBC for free! Believe it or not... of course this was after spending 20 minutes of my time explaining to them how it could be done and it wouldn't cost the "thousands" that they quoted me to retrofit. HAH.

And don't forget IIRC version 6 of Durametriccan now activate the OBC...

Edited by logray

Yeah - £42 for 15 minutes work isn't bad money by anyone's standards!

I'm always surprised that so many so-called experts aren't aware of much of the after-market expertise that the various forums throw up. It's not just Porsche, I have a Land Rover too and my local indy doesn't know about any of the forums or many of the resultant 'fixes' that should have been done at the factory.

I guess these guys work on the cars all day and don't want to spend their 'free' time on renntech, etc.

Edited by le bouch

IMHO, the mechs that do spend time and participate on the forums are "smarter for it" than the rest...

Good day,

I have searched several sites and found a lot of information for installing a 4 stalk with obc and cc on a Porsche 996.

I would like to try this for a 1999 C4, but it seems that some links to detailed instructions are not working.

"You don't have permission to access /boxster/mods/ obc/ obc.stalk.pdf on this server." at www.whiteson.org

Any help would be much welcome

Best regards,

Eric

Hi Loren, I have a 996 C2 1999 with 3 stalks. Like 'Enjoy,' i want to fit a 4 stalk to operate the OBC.Also like 'Enjoy' i am prevented from accessing the data...

I`m aware i`ll have to take the car to a dealer/Indie with kit to enable (Although I can already see outside temperature )

Would you knindly point me with a link, or supply me with 4 stalk fitting instructions. Thankyou for your valuable and respected advice to many.

Rupertlove

Hi Loren, I have a 996 C2 1999 with 3 stalks. Like 'Enjoy,' i want to fit a 4 stalk to operate the OBC.Also like 'Enjoy' i am prevented from accessing the data...

I`m aware i`ll have to take the car to a dealer/Indie with kit to enable (Although I can already see outside temperature )

Would you knindly point me with a link, or supply me with 4 stalk fitting instructions. Thankyou for your valuable and respected advice to many.

Rupertlove

:welcome:

If you can already see the outside temperature there is no need to go to a dealer for programming - it has already been done.

Since the Boxster is the same I think you will find this (rather long thread) has all your answers...

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/19446-obc-hack/