Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Maintenance questions - 2005 CTT

I took possession of a 2005 ctt. I have spoken to the owner and dealer about the kind of stuff they did with the car. Owner said oil changed about 1500 miles ago. Car has 56k on it.

My questions:

1. Should I change oil now or wait (I assume there will be oil change reminder?). Should I wait for the light to come on? It was down about 1 at, which I added to top up.

2. Once light goes on, how do I reset it without having to go to dealer to do it?

3. Should I wait for same with brakes? Pads/rotors?

4. Anyone use the Mobil 1 5w30 synthetic in their cayenne? I know they recommend 0w40, but just wondering.

Your input will be greatly appreciated.

The 0W-40 is a better oil than the 5w-30, but I personally use Redline which I feel is a much better oil in 5W-40. The Durametric program and cord is the only way I know of to reset the service reminder besides the dealer. If you change the oil, there are two drain plugs on the oil pan that you need to pull. Be careful not to pull the front differential oil drain plug by mistake as someone on here did recently and fried his front differential. You can find some good aftermarket prices on rotors and pads for the Cayenne Turbo, and their are better pads out there for less than the OEM pads. I use EBC Yellow SUV pads and they work very well and dust slightly less than stock, and their cheaper.

• 3 weeks later...

Ciaka,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Cayenne Turbo's and Oil Consumption, really. Are you new to the Porsche family? Is this your daily driver?

I have 3 Porsche Turbo's in the House, I buy my Castrol Syntec 5W40 (Now called Castrol Edge, yes it is full synthetic, new name same product as Syntec), by the case, last purchased 20 cases which = 120 qts. IMHO, I am an ASE Certified Tech with 27 Years experience, and have been using Castrol products since 1982. I made the transition to the Castrol Synthetic oil in the Porsche's when they were acquired in 2010. My opinion, The Castrol Synthetic Motor Oil is by far more robust and better quality than the M stuff that is on the decal under the hood of all Cayenne's. It wears better, i use less of it than the M stuff, and upgrading from the 0W40 to 5W40 has been great. I average about 600 miles per quart of oil use, within the Porsche guidelines in the Owner's manual. 5W30 is NOT on the recommended list for Approved Porsche Oils. I usually run about 10K Miles between oil changes with the Castrol Edge 5W40, and even up to the 10K mile mark, i have no changes in performance at all. Drive it like its stolen everyday, yup everyday. And i still get 40K miles on my brakes.

When you are due for an oil change, the center instrument display that shows you seat belts, TPMS and other daily functions will display a service reminder, "Service in 2000 miles". this begins to appear when the computer determines that your oil is near the end of its service life, and it needs to be changed, preferably before the "Service" mileage reaches 0, at which time you will be reminded fulltime that "Service Due".

So as hahnmgh63 stated previously, the Oil Change Service reminder can only be reset with a computer program and a cabled link to the computer.

Oil consumption, my 911 Turbo was using 1 qt of oil every 250 miles with the M stuff, i have 600 miles on the Castrol full Synthetic and i am only a half qt down from full.

I do weekly oil checks, pop the hood and pull the dipstick and check on the dipstick where the oil level is. As far as the dipstick goes, i have found in my level checks and monitoring of the dipstick range that the oil range on the dipstick from MAX Line to MIN Line seems to be 1.5 qts. From the MAX Line down to the front edge of the letter N (the front edge being the side of the letter N next to the blank black plastic mid section of the dipstick where no print appears) of the word MIN is 1 qt.

The Gen 1 CTT (2003 to 2006) oil level sensor may take some oil consumption to display in the center dash, i've seen it disappear from the dipstick and still not illuminate in the center display. That's why i do the weekly oil level checks (just to be safe) with the vehicle on level ground, (try to pick a comfortable spot where you park the vehicle frequently) and start with that.

As far as the dipstick goes, i have found in my oil level checks and monitoring of the dipstick range that the oil range on the dipstick from MAX Line to MIN Line seems to be 1.5 qts. From the MAX Line down to the front edge of the letter N (the front edge being the side of the letter N next to the blank black plastic mid section of the dipstick where no print appears) of the word MIN is 1 qt. i also use the trip odometer in the dash as my oil use mileage tracker, every time i add oil to the engine and confirm i am at the MAX Line, i reset the trip odometer. Weekly, or when i get around 600 miles on the trip odometer, i do an oil level check. Yes im crazy, but this is a critical fluid, highly consumed, and the CTT engines are very expensive.

Also, i keep a full 6 pack (1 case) of oil in the cargo area of the Cayenne, as its about $9.20 per qt around here in PA, and not everyone carries it.

Brakes are the same way, indicating in the center display when its time to be replaced. a technician will determine whether its rear or front brakes that need to be replaced, the center display only shows "Brakes".

Do you have a preference for your vehicle servicing, the Porsche dealer or a good Indy?

Good luck to you with your Porsche. Write back if you have any other questions.

Take Care,

Mike.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

thanks Mike. very good read for me. i replaced my oil which was really easy (as opposed to what several shops told me when i wanted it changed - made me anxious until i started pulling covers).

so far i put about 5k miles on the oil (used mobil syn 0W40).

with the top ups of oil on the urbo, i assume will be safe to go 10k miles between changes (top up replenishes oil and adds new to existing oil, helping to trap debris in suspension rather than let it settle).

what i will do is wait for the service reminder before another change. i will also monitor brakes. my first purchase will be more tires though. planning on vredestein sessanta same size as oem (maybe 1 size wider).

thanks again, and thanks for offer on questions if i have some. so far, loving the car. put about 7k mi on it since bought 5 months ago.

I do notice that after switching to castrol 5w40, my 04CTT burns less oil than mobil 1 0w40

interesting also local dealer in Toronto is now recommending Castrol instead of Mobil 1

not sure if it is only commercial thing or there is solid engineering/scinentific reason behind this

and I know someone use 5W50 in hot season since it is thicker in working temp.

Edited by royxaxa
  • Upvote 1

Reset Service Light for ’04 Cayenne

-With key in off position, depress ODO button.

-Without brake pedal depressed, turn ignition on while still pushing the ODO button.

-You should see message: “Service Reset”.

-Push the “enter” button located on the bottom of the wiper stalk several times.

-Turn off the ignition then start the vehicle, "Service" light should be cleared.

Should be the same for an '05 but not sure.

Hello Everyone.

Ciaka, as far as tires are concerned, i run Michelin Latitude HP All Season 27545 19's on the 08 CTT (so quiet from start to finish) and drive them until they are almost bald, and i just put a set of General GMAX AS03's 27545 20's on the 06 CTTS. What a sweet tire General makes, i ran the General Altimax HP's on my 05 E500 Wagon in 2006, quiet and great in the rain. As long as Conti doesn't start playing with the rubber blends that General has trademarked we can rely on the quality, Conti's are good for one thing, a swing.

Since you stayed with the Mobil 1 0W40, be cautious about the higher mileage between oil changes, as i had mentioned earlier in previous posts, i only run Castrol Syntec (now called Edge) Full Synthetic 5W40 to 10K+ mile oil service intervals, i have not used any Mobil product above 7500 miles, really, it thins out too fast, and required more frequent replenishment.

For example, the 02 996 TT had Mobil 1 0W40 in it when i acquired it in 2008, consuming about 1 quart every 250 miles. I put 4k Miles on my first change of Mobil 1 0W40 in the 996 TT in 2008, and when i changed it in 2009, it was like black water, and the engine was getting loud. i was not happy with that oil interval, that why all Porsche's should run Castrol only, really. Ever since i changed to Castrol in 2009, the current oil change in AUG 2011, i added 1 quart of oil at approximately 850 miles. The mileage speaks for itself, and so does the performance.

The 06 CTTS has 12K Miles on the current oil, and is still pegging 0.8 bar whenever you want it. i guess the higher quality oil is extending the oil service interval, as i am not seeing the Service Due indicator yet; consumption is normal, and i am also doing white paper oil blot tests every 1000 miles to check clarity and residue (much cheaper than lab testing).

Even a fellow RennTech Enthusiast, royxaxa proved the Castrol oil is more durable, and burns less; thank you for posting your results, i'm glad other Porsche Enthusiasts are realizing that we always have options, not just what the dealer says or tries to sell us.

IMHO, 5W50 i would only use it if i lived in a climate that was 110F+ from May thru October, like Phoenix or Vegas. I feel with having clocked 43K+ miles on the 08 CTT since 2010, the Castrol Syntec (Edge) 5W40 works just fine. W50 sounds nice, just not sure how well if flows at 90F at 5k to 6K RPM for an extended period, the only way to live in a 996 TT.

Mercedes changed their oil spec across the board in July 2006 from Mobil 1 0W40 to Mobil 1 5W40, lime-green cap. This change was prompted by a cold start, low oil pressure valve tap in the 5L V8 engines, almost sounded like Dieseling. This was experienced first hand in the E500 wagon, the 05 E55 AMG Sedan, and the 03 SL55 AMG coupe. i still like the Castrol Syntec (Edge) flavor better, more robust.

Hahnmgh63 is using Redline, which i have not used yet. I will do my research on this product, thank you for this useful information.

FYI, Porsche only made 1500 06 CTT S's, and only sent 600 of them to the U.S...Sweet.

I hope my daily driver tested results are of assistance to all of the RennTech community. i really need to spend more time on this site. Its good for all of us. Everyone enjoy the rest of the summer. Keep qualifying.

Take Care,

Mike.

Edited by psychobenzrunner
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for the info again.

Here is a quick question, once you change oil and reset the service light with durametric, do you drive until the light comes on, or do you track miles to know when to change?

Trying to see if I should just keep driving until the light comes on, or change at about 7500 (if I do, I think I will give the castrol edge a try - 5w40). I used to use Castrol products in all my cars and could see differences in rpms on a car, vs speed they go at, etc. So I am confident that Mobil 1 is not the only company that makes an oil which would be suitable for your car.

Here is a decent article for those who want to read up on what the oil numbers really mean and how they affect engine parts, etc. CLICK HERE

Edited by ciaka
  • Upvote 1

Ciaka,

Thank you for the link to the oil article. i have not used AMSOIL yet either, based on my consumption, i will talk to the Indies about it and see what they recommend.

As far as oil change frequency or Service Due indicator to prompt you to change the oil, It depends who is driving the vehicle over time, the Gen 2 CTT i drive tells me almost at exactly 10,100 Miles "Service Due in 1900", its predictable with me and my driving style. My wife in her Gen 1 CTTS currently has a little over 12K miles since her vehicle's last oil change, and no Service Due indicator is yet available. She is not as Boost-Addicted like i am, so her vehicle does not use oil like i do. i think as i mentioned back in April, i use the push-button resettable trip odometer in the dash of both CTT's as my oil usage gauge. When i add a quart of oil based on the dipstick reading (usually at the letter N of the word MIN), i reset the trip odometer and thats my mileage gauge for when to pull the dipstick for a quick oil check (usually between 600 - 900 miles depending on the vehicle and the driver); we engineers are crazy, more like OCD, but for $10-15K for a new engine after failure, i will keep my OCD intact, as it works to my Porsche's advantage.

I also track all maintenance on a spreadsheet, marking oil changes, all oil additions (and a side calculation for each oil addition and mileage between oil add's), and even dealer visits. yes its OCD, but these are Porsche's, its all good. My experience, i can run the castrol to and above 10K miles with no holdback, i could not do that with the Mobil 1 0W40, yes really. i've been using Castrol products for 30 years now, never an issue.

One time, i did take the 08 CTT to 12,800 miles between oil changes, and i noticed a slight drop in performance, i was also at the "Service Due in 200 miles", so the oil was pretty well spent. I was told by a Porsche-Certified Technician at the dealer that the oil level sensor has a heating element in it, it heats up the element, which in turn heats the oil on the face of the element, and based on the response cool-down time at the element face, the oil quality is electronically evaluated, hence giving me typically about 10K miles on normal use of oil life, and then about 2000 Miles to get it changed, as the Service Due counter starts at 2000 miles and works down to zero; basically old oil loses its ability to not only lubricate but to provide cooling capabilities. I like this technology, there is no guesswork, its all smart technology. And i can feel the difference when the oil needs to be changed, its not a monster like it usually is, its holding back, i guess the computers are reducing the full performance parameters to avoid mechanical damage. The Germans know what they are doing most of the time. I still monitor daily the cold-start, and normal temp operation of the vehicle, to see if any patterns develop that need to be addressed, just being an engineer.

I did install Agency Power Diverter Valves in both CTT's, (2 for each vehicle) the Gen 1 gives me better boost, (actually pegs the boost gauge above 0.8 bar), and it flies. definitely worth the upgrade, running stock air filters (i change them every 30K miles myself), CANNOT use a K&N type Oiled cotton fiber filter on Twin Turbo engines, as the oil will get lifted off the filter and will cause the MAF sensor to fail, too much $$$ for new ones. (blogs told me this and it makes sense).

RFM,

5W30 is not listed on Porsche's approved oil list, not for the CTT's or a 911 Turbo, only 0W40, 5W40, or 5W50, all listed in the Owners Manual for each vehicle.

Keep running those Porsche's hard every day, they like it.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Mike.

• Upvote 1

Ciaka,

Thank you for the link to the oil article. i have not used AMSOIL yet either, based on my consumption, i will talk to the Indies about it and see what they recommend.

As far as oil change frequency or Service Due indicator to prompt you to change the oil, It depends who is driving the vehicle over time, the Gen 2 CTT i drive tells me almost at exactly 10,100 Miles "Service Due in 1900", its predictable with me and my driving style. My wife in her Gen 1 CTTS currently has a little over 12K miles since her vehicle's last oil change, and no Service Due indicator is yet available. She is not as Boost-Addicted like i am, so her vehicle does not use oil like i do. i think as i mentioned back in April, i use the push-button resettable trip odometer in the dash of both CTT's as my oil usage gauge. When i add a quart of oil based on the dipstick reading (usually at the letter N of the word MIN), i reset the trip odometer and thats my mileage gauge for when to pull the dipstick for a quick oil check (usually between 600 - 900 miles depending on the vehicle and the driver); we engineers are crazy, more like OCD, but for $10-15K for a new engine after failure, i will keep my OCD intact, as it works to my Porsche's advantage.

I also track all maintenance on a spreadsheet, marking oil changes, all oil additions (and a side calculation for each oil addition and mileage between oil add's), and even dealer visits. yes its OCD, but these are Porsche's, its all good. My experience, i can run the castrol to and above 10K miles with no holdback, i could not do that with the Mobil 1 0W40, yes really. i've been using Castrol products for 30 years now, never an issue.

One time, i did take the 08 CTT to 12,800 miles between oil changes, and i noticed a slight drop in performance, i was also at the "Service Due in 200 miles", so the oil was pretty well spent. I was told by a Porsche-Certified Technician at the dealer that the oil level sensor has a heating element in it, it heats up the element, which in turn heats the oil on the face of the element, and based on the response cool-down time at the element face, the oil quality is electronically evaluated, hence giving me typically about 10K miles on normal use of oil life, and then about 2000 Miles to get it changed, as the Service Due counter starts at 2000 miles and works down to zero; basically old oil loses its ability to not only lubricate but to provide cooling capabilities. I like this technology, there is no guesswork, its all smart technology. And i can feel the difference when the oil needs to be changed, its not a monster like it usually is, its holding back, i guess the computers are reducing the full performance parameters to avoid mechanical damage. The Germans know what they are doing most of the time. I still monitor daily the cold-start, and normal temp operation of the vehicle, to see if any patterns develop that need to be addressed, just being an engineer.

I did install Agency Power Diverter Valves in both CTT's, (2 for each vehicle) the Gen 1 gives me better boost, (actually pegs the boost gauge above 0.8 bar), and it flies. definitely worth the upgrade, running stock air filters (i change them every 30K miles myself), CANNOT use a K&N type Oiled cotton fiber filter on Twin Turbo engines, as the oil will get lifted off the filter and will cause the MAF sensor to fail, too much $$$ for new ones. (blogs told me this and it makes sense).

RFM,

5W30 is not listed on Porsche's approved oil list, not for the CTT's or a 911 Turbo, only 0W40, 5W40, or 5W50, all listed in the Owners Manual for each vehicle.

Keep running those Porsche's hard every day, they like it.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Mike.

You must be really sensitive if you tell spent oil by driving the vehicle.

• Upvote 1

You must be really sensitive if you tell spent oil by driving the vehicle.

:thumbup:

The explaination by the Porsche tech is also pretty amusing. Seems like tech-blather.* Other German cars determine when the oil needs to be changed by the quantity of gasoline used. Drive it hard, use a lot of gas, the light turns on early. Drive it gently, be a gas miser and the light turns on later. No need for some overdone calculation of cooling capacity of the oil (I assume we're looking for a heat transfer rating - since different oils will have a different transfer rating, using that would seem rather silly.)

* Tech-blather, salesman blather, etc.: The need to sound expert even if pulling fantasy out of thin air. Many auto-salesmen suffer from this disease, and some techs do also. :blush:

• Upvote 1

hi mike. thank you for your explanation on the oil service interval reminder. this is the type of stuff I always wondered about on this car. I am an engineer too, and I always like to know how things work and why, rather than just accepting that they do. it is nice to know to find out exactly how the oil serviceice reminder works on the cayenne, and what makes it appear sooner or later. thanks and I'll let you know when to change oil again I will be trying the castrol edge brand next. Tires coming next, followed by trannie fluid, and diff fluid changes too.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally.....i change my oil every 5k.....60 dollars in oil is worth it to ensure the oil is in good shape.....the lubrication properties aren't a concern as much with newer synthetics....but with blow by and case venting, you have to start to watch carbon and HC buildup....new contaminated oil is just as bad as old oil in my opinion.

As for which oil....i've always used M1 0w-40....in the CTT and my track cars.....M1 has good detergent properties, which matches well with my NON EXTENDED oil changes. If you ever have a chance to tear down a motor that has been running M1 0w-40 (be careful, not all M1 weights are full synthetic) you will notice the inside will be spotless and can be wiped clean with a simple cloth).

fluids are one of those things that i believe can't be changed too often.....it's cheap insurance.....i burn about a quart every 5k with the CTT with 0w-40.....i have been thinking about stepping up to a 50 weight only because the V8 does run hotter than typical engines (especially in stop and go).

Finally.....you will not feel the difference in power by changing your oil.....sorry Mike.....if you're performance starts to "drop" because of oil issues.....it will drop and not return....bearing damage will occur much quicker than any other oiling issue

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ciaka,

Just to help you and to clarify, i spoke with 2 Porsche Genius's last week, the Gen 1 CTTS Service Due Indicator is time and mileage based, either 1 year from reset or 20K miles, which ever comes first. The Gen 2 CTT has an oil quality sensor, and is also mileage based at 10K miles, to raise the Service Due Indicator in the center display. hope this helps. The dealer would never tell me this, i have the blessed privilege of communicating with these 2 Porsche Gods who left the dealer environment and have about 40 years of Porsche Experience between them. And they are genuine and sincere, no attitude.

Clarksongli,

Based on my experience with 6 Turbochargers in the house and 1600+ HP in the garage shared between 3 Porsche's, my oil observations hold tons of value for me, as i monitor consumption as well as performance, i have to, its what keeps me sane. Bearing damage is not a concern, not with Castrol, 30 years and still running strong. I just had the oil changed on the Gen 1 CTTS at 12,750 miles, because i had a 2500 mile road trip scheduled and did not want to exceed 15K miles on the oil. in the same note, i was starting to feel a decrease in performance, about 10% drop in launch torque. So i had it changed, still using the Castrol Synthetic 5W40 and drove the next day to Florida for a 2500 mile road trip. Sweet run, i miss the triple digit speed limits in Europe. Feeling the difference in power after an oil change is real, i think you should run this concept by Loren, let him tell you what his thoughts are. when i feel an increase in power and acceleration after a fresh oil change, its real. Even my wife will tell you, she drives the Gen1 CTTS daily, when she says it runs better and harder after fresh oil, i believe her, i also experience it. These Porsche's don't lie.

Your oil usage of 1 qt every 5K miles, that was my oil consumption on both of the AMG's, and the cars told me to Add a Quart. i look inside the oil fill caps on these Porsche engines, all is see is clean metal and a golden color from the oil. I am noticing the need to clean the fuel injectors more often with Lucas to optimize performance, possibly due to HC buildup from the Turbo's and the oil vapor. As far as oil consumption is concerned, i use a qt of oil every 500 to 600 miles in the Gen 2 CTT, my daily driver, gets about 24K miles per year on the road. my motor oil is being replenished weekly with a fresh qt of oil, which equates to about 10% based on a 10 quart refill after i change it, possibly contributing to the extended oil change intervals. Drive the Porsche's like they are stolen everyday, and i have about 42K miles on the front pads and rotors on the Gen2 and still going.

I'm not sure if the 50W oil will make a difference, the outside temp would need to be 90F avg for me to run that. i know 5W50 is 1 of the 3 options that Porsche offers, 5W40 is good for me for now, 0W is too thin, especially cold start low oil pressure. Mercedes changed their oil specs from Mobil 1 0W40 to 5W40 in July 2006 due to this low oil pressure engine noise that i had experienced first hand in an E500 wagon and the 2 AMG motors.

Its nice to learn as we go, and to have many Enthusiasts like all of the good people who spend time at RennTech.org, talking and learning about their machines to get the most out of them, and taking the time to share their ideas and findings. I am always happy to share my experiences and knowledge with all who are interested for the good of all Porsche's.

Everyone have a great labor day weekend. Run hard. Thanks for being there.

Mike.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks psychobenzrunner. Again.

Funny, was researching more on oil quality, manufacturing process, dealer service shops, and everything that ties these together. You know what common thread I see? Quality of oil has dramatically increased, so have choices. However auto industry did studies which showed that if auto owner stays with old (3000 mile) service interval, over the life of the car, the companies making them see an additional profit if $1800 per car. Multiply that over millions of cars and what our have is a thriving revenue without any other justification than trying to keep people uneducated about this.

Info i came across talks about how lube shops specifically employ tactics to make customers think something 'may' go wrong if you do not change at 3K miles. People are stuck in the old ways.

• 2 months later...

Couple of questions to everybody.

I have a CTT 04 and I have been using Mobil 1 European formula 0w-40 since forever, the car has now 107,000 miles and I top up the oil everytime I get the low oil warning light, (aprox every 1,500 miles) and I change the oil when the computer tells me to do so (around 13,000-15,000 miles) I know people think I should do it more often but the dealer said it is fine doing it when the car shows it is due.

I keep a log of how often I get the low oil warning light, the other day I was curious why after 2,350 miles I did not get any warning light, I thought because the dealer fixed the driver's side turbo oil leak (very common) and now is not losing oil that fast, but when I checked the oil level was barely hitting the dipstick (below the MIN mark) so I top up the oil.

So first thing I though is the oil level sensor might go bad, but after reading this forum I found out the sensor is not only for oil level but for oil temperature as well and the gauge is working perfectly, maybe the sensor is fine and it was about to show the warning in the coming days, but I am pretty sure the level never went that low before (it used to appear when the level was at barely MIN mark not below it)

So here comes the questions:

1 How can I troubleshoot it is the oil level sensor? the service is due in 1,200 miles and I can install the new sensor when the oil is drained.

2 Should I use Mobil 1 high mileage instead of the european formula (there is no 0w-40 but there is 10W-40)

I live in California and once a year I go to the mountains to ski, so the car does not see cold weather 99% of the year.

Thanks.

Edited by feralc

• Moderators

Use the dipstick on the engine in order to measure the oil level, this is the only right way to go. The sensor is just a warning, because your Cayenne does not have a full oil check system feature such as the flat six engines as 986/87 - 996/97 - etc. use. Top up to full mark if the level came just below half full (between low and full mark) Mobil 1 "High Mileage" we do not know over here, so i can not provide guidance about it.

• Upvote 1

Thanks, I wante to test if after fixing the driver's side turbo oil leak the oil will last longer, this is the first time the oil level warning is not shown in the instrument panel; i guess I will just check the oil from time to time and top up everytime is needed it, I read Loren wrote somewhere that1 quart every 1,000 miles is "normal".

Because 107,000 miles is high mileage in my book, I thought the Mobil 1 HM synthetic oil will be a good fit, thanks.

• 1 month later...

The ctt can use a lot of oil. When my wife drives it, I will have to top up quite a bit, also the left hand pressure hose recycles oil mist, so if the seal is bad it will leak a heap of oil and cause ou to have to top it up a lot.

I fixed the seal recently and there was about a litre of oil in the lower hose!

Like loren none of my previous 8 p cars have ever used oil between changes. Even our current 996 turbo doesn't use a drop between services, and I know the wife drives that hard! You can't miss that whistle.

just the cayenne turbo. It makes sense when you see how it deals with oil vapor through the left hand turbo.

Don't be concerned, just change you oil regularly. My ctt is at 230000 km and still goes well.

I can't be bothered changing it cause it runs so well.

cheers

DS

• Upvote 1