Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hi everybody. I was trying read all articles here but still don´t know. I have durametric, for the price I think it is perfect, but there are many things I am not able to manage with it. For example to set automatic locking after starting the engine on 996. If I understand well the present version of PIWIS is almost impossible to get if you are not official Porsche dealer (and if you have somehow unofficially, there are still troubles you can´t solve without access to factory - like PCM3 update). And moreover exists the PIWIS KTS520.. What is it? An older official version of PIWIS? Or some self-made system? Is it more useful than Durametric? Sorry for kind of stupid questions for you, who are here like home fore many years here, but I am a rookie. Thanks for help

• Admin

Bosch KTS-520 is an interface to PIWIS (both versions 2 and 3 use) to talk to Porsches. PIWIS does a great deal more than Durametric as it is the official tool Porsche uses. And yes, on some late model cars you need special activation codes to turn on options - and these codes can only be obtained through a Porsche dealer/OPC.

post-1-0-83948100-1340198351_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • Admin

Looks like a real KTS-520 but the computer but the software is Bosch ESI - which is an OBDII tool for many German models not specifically Porsche (not PST2 or PIWIS software).

• Upvote 1

AutoEnginuity (http://www.autoenginuity.com/index.html) makes a diags tool which you can buy specific modules for depending on make of car (and they have a module for Porsche). Downside is that the software updates are not free. I was comparing this against the Durametrica few years ago and decided to go with Durametric, and glad that I did -- version 6.x added a lot of useful diagnostic info (comparable to AutoEnginuity) and they still have free updates. Other scan tools that support Porsche are over $1000 and get expensive very quickly -- these are great if you're a pro and have a shop.

Regards,

paul...

Edited by paulv
  • Upvote 1

Thanks guys, I have a laptop based PST2 and the Durametric and hoping I can continue to get by without a PIWIS.

On a related subject, I have been having a very difficult time getting the needed DME/Alarm IPAS codes from any of our local dealers even for cars I have bought from them.

• 1 year later...

Here are some photos of a real KTS520, including photos of the board.

After seeing many of these, typically, real German-made units will look tired in apperance, due to years of use, have various velco pieces attached to them, missing a rubber foot, etc. The general rule of thumb - if it looks brand new, it is likely a Chinese clone.

post-54881-0-52692900-1394487962_thumb.j

post-54881-0-87603200-1394487968_thumb.j

post-54881-0-91623900-1394487973_thumb.j

post-54881-0-20314700-1394487979_thumb.j

post-54881-0-27692500-1394488029_thumb.j

post-54881-0-69782800-1394488044_thumb.j

• 5 months later...

hey Serge944, I am having some trouble getting my KTS 520 working. I believe I have a real Bosch one. The chips looks the same. Mine was made Feb 2004 if I read the manufacture code on the inside of the cover correctly. My board looks exactly like yours. The China copies aren't that close are they?

I bought it on eBay from someone who said they used it at a shop but had the main board replaced by Bosch a while ago and not used since. There's no serial number on the back though...

When I plug it in with USB I get a message that it is malfunctioning and not working properly. I bought a Serial to USB converter and plug and it doesn't even register on the computer when I plug it in like that.

Any thoughts? Or places I can go to have it checked/fixed?

post-94895-0-07316700-1409018349_thumb.j

post-94895-0-91232300-1409018351_thumb.j

post-94895-0-73142100-1409018354_thumb.j

post-94895-0-73693000-1409018357_thumb.j

post-94895-0-01288500-1409018363_thumb.j

post-94895-0-94523900-1409018367_thumb.j

Edited by mhariush

Hi Loren, I though I had replied but turns out I didnt...sorry. I have V34, cracked. I havent done the firmware updates on the KTS yet becasue I can't access the KTS. Windows doesn't find it. When I connect with USB I get the message that the device malfunctioned or isn't recognized.

The KTS must be powered up when you first plug it in, as it does not take its supply from the USB port.  It needs to be powered by a separate supply, or the OBD2 cable connected to the car.  The green LED will flash when powered..  When connected, a message bubble should appear fron the taskbar saying "New Hardware found - KTS520".  The KTS520 will show up in Windows Device Manager as simply a Human Interface Device without any other details.

If this doesn't happen on your clone, then you could plug it in to ANY Windows XP computer/laptop and it should connect.  If not, try a new USB cable (standard printer cable).  If that doesn't work, then the KTS520 is faulty.  Weak USB sockets are a known issue with these devices.

Sounds like I have an issue with mine then. It malfunctions when connected via USB. I will try another USB cable, but this is the one I use for my printer so it should be good. I only have one Windows XP machine, but I tried two different installations of Windows, same result. Also get the same result in Windows 8.

I looked inside it and it appears that the USB socket has been attempted repaired.

That's too bad, I wasted a lot of money then I guess...Any thoughts on what to do with it? Can it be repaired?

• Moderators

Sounds like I have an issue with mine then. It malfunctions when connected via USB. I will try another USB cable, but this is the one I use for my printer so it should be good. I only have one Windows XP machine, but I tried two different installations of Windows, same result. Also get the same result in Windows 8.

I looked inside it and it appears that the USB socket has been attempted repaired.

That's too bad, I wasted a lot of money then I guess...Any thoughts on what to do with it? Can it be repaired?

As the KTS is a pretty price unit (some of the Chinese clones are selling for $2,300), I'm sure there is some mechanism to get them fixed, probably though Bosch.  Only caveat would be your unit's provenance, there are more than a few of these units running around with a questionable history......

I bought it used, from a mechanic, supposedly, on eBay. He said it worked when he last used it and had the motherboard replaced/repaired. But it never worked as long as I have had it... I just thought I was doing something wrong...

If anyone has any thoughts on where to get one serviced, please let me know.

Thanks

• Admin

I bought it used, from a mechanic, supposedly, on eBay. He said it worked when he last used it and had the motherboard replaced/repaired. But it never worked as long as I have had it... I just thought I was doing something wrong...

If anyone has any thoughts on where to get one serviced, please let me know.

Thanks

Bosch (USA) Diagnostic Equipment Repair

Bosch Repair Center

Vetronix Corp

153 Castilian Drive

Goleta, CA 93117

Tel: 1-800-321-4889, Ext 7

Fax: 1-805-966-9540

email.gif Repair.Diagnostics@us.bosch.com

email.gif View Bosch Service Centers Locations (521KB)

• Moderators

I'll try and call again later, but according to the guy I talked to the, who wasn't originally familiar with the unit, said they don't service it. That it was made on contract by Porsche and I had to talk to them.

That is what I was concerned about.  Porsche is pretty tough about their diagnostic systems.

The KTS520 is not Porsche-specific. It just happens to be the interface which will work with clone PIWIS testers. The original PIWIS1 tester was based on the Bosch KTS650, which had an integrated interface card with the same properties. Vertronix sold the KTS520 branded in their own case.

So I would expect Vertronics to be able to repair it. I recall that in Europe there is/was a scheme which offered an exchange circuit board at very reasonable cost. You might ask them if this service is available in the US.

Edited by Richard Hamilton
  • Upvote 1