Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Small whine when I slow down and brake

When driving i do not hear the sound but when I am slowing down and about to brake I hear a small whine that sounds like a power steering pump in others cars but it is in the front. I have no idea what it is. I has been raining like crazy here but I do not know if that has anything to do with it.

• 5 weeks later...

Did this prolbem continue? get worse?

Have you taken it to anyone?

I am working with a 2000 Boxster that has a tremendous howl/squeal when the engine is slowly decclerated from above 3000 rpm.

The sound seems to be emitted from the crankshaft - engine front. It occurs without the serpentine belt on the engine.

It continues to emit the sound even after the engine has reached and settled at idle.

It continues briefly - after key off and the crankshaft stops turning.

Charlie

Erie, PA

Mine's squealing - only does it when the engine's at temperature but is really slight - can only hear it at low speed with the hood up. Someone suggested taking off the engine cover and spraying each of the pulleys in turn until the squealing stops. My problem will probably be one of the belt tensioner pulleys or the water pump - doesn't sound like your problem but it is difficult figuring out where these noises come from.

Edited by Nimbus117