Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Gauge Cluster Repair

I have a gauge cluster from a 2001 Carrera that I would like to swap into my Boxster. I have reviewed the instructions and it appears to be within my capabilities. However, in looking at the cluster, it appears that one of the LCD's is damaged.post-9357-0-55127500-1356721008_thumb.jppost-9357-0-63836300-1356721029_thumb.jp
Can I swap the LCD from my Boxster cluster or is there a company that can repair this?

Thanks for the suggestion. I sent Palo Alto Speedometer an e-mail and they responded that they could not obtain the parts for repairing the cluster. They offered to reprogram the mileage for $175 plus shipping.

I also received a response on the 986 forum. They seem to think that I could transplant the working LCD from my Boxster cluster. It looks like delicate work, so I would be risking damage to my cluster in the process. I'll search for someone selling a Boxster cluster to serve as an organ donor.

Based on some advice on the 986 forum and some research, it appears that swapping the clock/oil gauge lcd from my Boxster cluster is a possibility. Based on some posts there and some other information I found on the Internet, I have started the dissection process.

So far, I have managed to remove the plastic lens without damaging anything:View+with+plastic+cover+off1356884745.jpgHowever, removal of the damaged clock/oil gauge lcd module is now blocked by the white plastic part that holds the gauges. Based on a review of Chris Zang's pictures from his "for sale" post on the 986 forum, it looks like I need to remove enough parts to get the cluster to this condition before I can remove the lcd: Cluster+with+gauges+removed1356885428.jpgBefore risking damage, does anyone have tips for removing the white plastic part? It appears to be held on by this clip:Bottom+clip1356884945.jpgI also see two screws. One is near the bottom of the speedometer:

1441356886173.jpgThe other is near the bottom of the fuel gauge:View+of+fastener+near+fuel+gauge1356885879.jpgI would appreciate any tips on dissecting this without damaging anything. With the exception of the lcd, the cluster is in perfect condition and would make a nice upgrade to my car.

It has been a while since I have had one apart, about 5 years I tore one down to the MCU. When I was doing it I did not care if I broke something as I would never put it back together again. Basically I had to sacrifice one of them to discover the MCU pin layout. You can remove the gauge faces by first removing the needles. just carefully pry up with a fork. You can put a piece of paper under the face so the fork does not mare the surface. I believe the LCD's are soldered onto the board. If you have a hot air rework station they are easy to remove just heat it up and pull it off. I may still have some of the parts from what I took off it if you need something I can search for them.

Once you have it ready for your Boxster you will need to change the mileage to match your vehicle. And you may have to update the radio code depending on the year. Before you go too far you should make sure that the clusters are the same generation and compatible with your Boxster. There are a lot of different versions of the cluster, that typically match the DME type and CAN bus topology used in the vehicle. For example if your Boxster uses Motronic 7.2 (ME72) then the cluster you are installing needs to have come from a 996 with ME72. Sounds like you got that part all worked out.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Duram. I'm definitely proceeding with caution and I haven't touched my Boxster cluster. This thread on the 986 Forum will give you an update on where I stand: http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/41883-gauge-cluster-repair.html

Right now, I'm trying to see if heating the clock/oil level lcd with a hair dryer will remove the flaw. It seems to be working a little. I'll give it a few more cycles to see how if it works.

Here's how it looks after 2 5-minute cycles with a blow dryer:

post-9357-0-62159100-1356901013_thumb.jp

It may be slightly smaller than when I started, but you can look at the previous posts and judge for yourself.

I'm trying to be optimistic. However, if you happen to have a good clock/oil gauge lcd that may be helpful.

• 3 weeks later...