Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

horrible noise when I disengage clutch

Hello all.

I did something wrong and maybe you know what.

I just did a bunch of things with the trans out including replacing the clutch and updating the release lever and associated hardware. When I fired it up it made a nasty grinding sound which went away when I released the clutch. It returns whenever I push the pedal past about 1/2 way. The spring feedback on the pedal is different from before but not unnatural. My suspicion is that the release lever is not sitting on the ball properly (or not at all), but the other end seemed to be in the right place to accept the slave cyl pushrod so I thought all was well. I did read something about using tape to hold something in position but didn't do this and the Bentley manual doesn't mention it.

Any suggestions? It is on axle stands on a 4 post lift in case that makes it possible to do something to narrow it down.

Thanks

Hello again

I have a new theory -The release lever seemed to only fit 1 way so I didn't dwell on it when assembling, but looking at the old one it appears that it slides on the throwout bearing enough that it could go in either way - and if memory serves, I put it in backwards. Any comments appreciated - and and can anyone shed some light on the tape issue?

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, although nobody seems to be interested in this, I'll put it to bed: It was the new style release lever being backwards and after another 4 or 5 hrs work all is well, FYI - the side with the rubber washer goes on the fulcrum side not the slave side.

Experience is what you get just after you needed it.

• 3 months later...

Okay, although nobody seems to be interested in this, I'll put it to bed: It was the new style release lever being backwards and after another 4 or 5 hrs work all is well, FYI - the side with the rubber washer goes on the fulcrum side not the slave side. Experience is what you get just after you needed it.

Not lack of interest but lack of hands experience with the problem I suspect. As logray suggested, and regardless of the problem, it would require removal of the tranny to investigate. As you had already come to that conclusion, wasn't much else anyone could offer unless they had experienced the same issue. None the less, good to know about the change in release lever for those who maybe tackling the same project in the near future.

I read your post with great enthusiasm as I am about to embark on a clutch job myself. I have also purchased the upgraded release lever and know with my luck that I would have put it in backwards. So, if you ever find yourself in Norway, I'll buy you a beer, as you saved me many hours of extra work :wrench: