Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Oil level countdown - 45 minutes?

It's a '99 996. I had just washed the car and pulled it into the garage. I washed the widows in and out then decide to run the oil level check. I turn the key to "on" while standing outside the car. The level is indicator is doing it normal rolling 2 segment routine, but it was taking longer than expected. When I look at the countdown timer it's something like 45:25 - with the seconds are counting down. :eek: Key off, wait a few, key on - still counting down. I figure I'll do it the old fashioned way so I go to pop the engine lid and I hear no click! At this point I'm preoccupied with what I'll need to do if my cable is busted so I come in and start looking for that answer online. I'm thinking that maybe the countdown is some sort of theft lockout or something...I bring my laptop out to read the codes with my Durametric - to see if I have anything funny going on with the alarm system and also look for the backup lid release cable. I decide to try the release lever once more. Still the same. When I turn the key, the timer is now down to around 7 minutes. I decide to let it run it's course. After it does, the level checks fine. So with my kid pulling the latch, I can get my fingers under it and lift it open. Looking at the cable where it enters and actuates the latch - it seems to be doing what it's supposed to. I'm thinking that the screw in rubber bumpers have collapsed to the extent where they don't provide enough upward tension on the latch though - not sure and now it's dark and cold. Before closing it again I check to make sure that the extra release cable is where it's supposed to be under the tail light. :thumbup:

My main question though is any idea why the car was counting down from 45+ minutes?

• Moderators

It's a '99 996. I had just washed the car and pulled it into the garage. I washed the widows in and out then decide to run the oil level check. I turn the key to "on" while standing outside the car. The level is indicator is doing it normal rolling 2 segment routine, but it was taking longer than expected. When I look at the countdown timer it's something like 45:25 - with the seconds are counting down. :eek: Key off, wait a few, key on - still counting down. I figure I'll do it the old fashioned way so I go to pop the engine lid and I hear no click! At this point I'm preoccupied with what I'll need to do if my cable is busted so I come in and start looking for that answer online. I'm thinking that maybe the countdown is some sort of theft lockout or something...I bring my laptop out to read the codes with my Durametric - to see if I have anything funny going on with the alarm system and also look for the backup lid release cable. I decide to try the release lever once more. Still the same. When I turn the key, the timer is now down to around 7 minutes. I decide to let it run it's course. After it does, the level checks fine. So with my kid pulling the latch, I can get my fingers under it and lift it open. Looking at the cable where it enters and actuates the latch - it seems to be doing what it's supposed to. I'm thinking that the screw in rubber bumpers have collapsed to the extent where they don't provide enough upward tension on the latch though - not sure and now it's dark and cold. Before closing it again I check to make sure that the extra release cable is where it's supposed to be under the tail light. :thumbup:

My main question though is any idea why the car was counting down from 45+ minutes?

Common behavior if the oil is cool and the engine has not run for very long.

I get that all the time when I am out running errands.

All it means is that if you want an accurate reading, wait a long time.

If you are using the dash as your primary oil indicator perhaps you should wait? Sorry, that is a flamer comment but I could not resist the urge to type it!

Seriously though- non-issue unless that happens every time you start your car.

Loren,

You always seemly know how to cut to the chase... I just had the 54 minutes wait this morning, now I know why... the engine wasn't up to operating

temp... Now I don't have to worry about why the oil level gauge wasn't reading, one less issue to deal with. Thanks,

It's actually very simple. To get an accurate reading, the computer needs to make sure most of the oil has returned to the oil pan before it takes the measurement. The speed of oil return is a function of the oil temp and when was the last time the engine ran. Colder oil takes longer to return to the pan hence the wait timer.