Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Is Lemforder front engine mount insert acceptable quality?

I'm starting to shop for winter projects.  A front motor mount is suggested at around my mileage (54K).  You can get the Porsche mount with bracket for $125 or the Lemforder (alt. spelling Lemfoerder) motor mount insert for about $35.  This latter one requires you to remove and replace the insert, reusing the original bracket.

Is this a quality piece?  How hard is it to press out and press in the new insert?  Is it a hammer-and-socket job, or something I farm out to a shop?

• Moderators

I'm starting to shop for winter projects.  A front motor mount is suggested at around my mileage (54K).  You can get the Porsche mount with bracket for $125 or the Lemforder (alt. spelling Lemfoerder) motor mount insert for about $35.  This latter one requires you to remove and replace the insert, reusing the original bracket.

Is this a quality piece?  How hard is it to press out and press in the new insert?  Is it a hammer-and-socket job, or something I farm out to a shop?

I don't know anything about that brand, but the easiest way to change out the insert is with a bearing press.  You could probably do it with a hammer and socket, but I would go with a press.

Update: The Lemfoerder company is an OEM parts supplier to several German car brands,

Lemförder is a good brand.  Authentic German-quality products, etc as already stated.  They make OEM parts for the BMW....I used their products in my wife's E46.

Amazon actually has some of the best prices on Porsche products.  It's hit or miss as far as what they have available but I have seen some of the best prices around on Porsche parts from them (pre-cat, post-cat o2 sensors, and other parts).... much cheaper than AutohausAZ, Pelican, and Porsche, of course.

Edited by Silver_TT

I ordered one from Amazon before SilverTT even posted - $37 shipped.  It came today.  Note the box lists Porsche part number 987 375 057 02.   I believe because of the part number and the egg-shaped center part that this is the "improved" 987 motor mount which is supposed to be a superior design to the original 986 part with an oval-shaped center part. 

15390158176_c6917753bd_b.jpg

Box is labeled "ZF" and "Made in Korea, Rep. of".   Outside cylinder is approximately 75 mm diameter and 60 mm long.

Pic5.jpg

Dempsey has this photo which shows the correct orientation of the part in the carrier.  The Lemforder part even has the same yellow paint mark shown on one side.

Edited by Dennis Nicholls

Ya, less and less actually being made in Germany......  Even parts that are "made in Germany" sometimes have sub-components that weren't (eg. ball bearings from Brazil, etc).  No direct experience, but I would still expect this to be a good quality part vis-a-vis the Porsche OEM.  Hope it does the trick for you.

I just got one of these recently, but haven't had a chance to install it.  Just out of curiousity, does yours have a gap in the rubber between the metal thing in the middle and the metal ring on the outside?  I glanced at mine when I received it and I thought it looked a little strange, but maybe this is how it is supposed to look.  When I get around to doing it, it will be my first engine mount replacement.

The air gap is intentional to permit the center part to move about a bit as it soaks up vibration from the engine.  That's sort of the whole point  of a motor mount.  If performance is a must then Pelican sells "performance" wedges you can stuff in the voids, but these will greatly increase the NVH felt on the street.

• 4 weeks later...

I got out my box.... "Lemforder 34705 01 009.  Cross No. 987 375 057 02"  on the box itself. There's a separate strip-label put on that also says 987 375 023 05 on it - I don't know why.

I'm still putting off my winter projects as the weather has been nice (i.e. top down) around here lately. 

Edited by Dennis Nicholls

I installed this mount the other day on my 2000 base Boxster with manual.  I had that nasty vibration at 3K RPM prior along with a loud clunk while shifting.  After installing this it made a big difference in the car.  The vibration is slightly there but I understand that all engines have a harmonic a certain RPM.  So the mount has deadened the vibration severely.  And there is no more clunk.

Installation was a little tough me not having a press. I used a vice to get the job done.  I now understand Napa will press a part for couple bucks.  If I knew that earlier I would have taken that route.   

Regards,

Scott 

• 4 weeks later...