Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Door Window "drop-down" adjustment?

Hi, All;

On my 2001 C2 coupe, the right door glass only drops a very small amount when the handle is lifted in preparation for opening. It's hot hanging up, but just sounds odd when closing.

Is there a limit switch adjustment in there, or is it more of just a physical hardware adjustment to effect a proper drop-down?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Carl

This is common for early 996. There are many thread devoted to this problem up here. That being said, Things wear out. I've done the left one on my 2000 C2 coupe, and recently my right window is acting up.

The common issue is usually the window regulator. There a 3 micro switches I believe for each door?

First try the relearning procedure on the window. It may have just forgot it's open and close parameters. If that isn't the issue, then isolate if it's acting only from the inside door handle or the outside door handle.

If it fails on that, then it's likely the regulator is worn. Either way, it will require removing the door placard etc to resolve the problem. It's not an expensive repair, and offers the opportunity to replace everything related so you'll never have a future issue. Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Keep in mind the picture was taken of the passenger side regulator. Connection you see is more towards the front of the car. The idea is to tighten the cable as much as possible to eliminate any wiggle it may have while operating. Just get in there and operate the window switch, you'll see the cable jumping in place. I figured that this "slack" was causing the window not to drop fully as some movement was lost in that slack. 

FIY, use Pelican parts free online guide to get in there if you never took a door panel off before  - you don't want to damage anything trying to get in there.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Keep in mind that my "fix" is for a brand new regulator off eBay too. Window was not dropping enough.

Did you "train" the window after the regulator replacement?

Of course I did

For me, taking any slack out of brand new regulator, was what fixed the problem. I still belivem, OEM regulator would do better, I purchased an aftermarket one, which looks simillar but lacks in precision I believe.

EPS has a repair sleeve to fix the regulator cable problem that plagues these cars regularly. Also there is a good instruction on thier site showing the problem and the repair. The sleeve is $59 OR you can use a bicycle cable adjuster to fix it on the cheap.

Edited by Porschetech3

EPS has a repair sleeve to fix the regulator cable problem that plagues these cars regularly. Also there is a good instruction on thier site showing the problem and the repair. The sleeve is $59 OR you can use a bicycle cable adjuster to fix it on the cheap.

Wow, I'm not crazy then!! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I replaced the regulator with ebay replacement part. Window still won't drop. I can hear the motor run when I open the door, but window won't drop. I can still push window down 1/2 inch or so, and it will go up and seal when door is closed. I am confused about what to do at this point. I had read previously that if you could push the window down the regulator needed to be replaced. I just replaced it 2 days ago. Any ideas greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Was the EBay regulator new or used?  I have heard of many problems with substandard window regulators.  I decided that since my OE window regulator worked for 15 years before needing replacement, I would replace it with an OE regulator.  Haven't had a problem since then.  Did you do the entire "re-learning" process?  Window full down, and continue to hold the button for 10-15 seconds, then window full up and continue to hold the button for 10-15 seconds?  If after that the window doesn't drop, sorry to say it's a bad regulator.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a Dorman replacement regulator for my 03 996 Cab from Amazon. It did not fix my problem. I removed it in order to return it, and replaced it with the old defective regulator. All of a sudden the window drops down with the old regulator. Go figure.....

• 4 weeks later...