Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Where to place jackstands?

Don

I note that you suggest to jack the car at the rear where the cross member is to raise the rear to place jackstands underneath..

Is there a similar point towards the front of the vehicle in case you wanted to raise the whole car on jackstands etc

Thanks

Costas

'04 SY C2

Is there a similar point towards the front of the vehicle in case you wanted to raise the whole car on jackstands etc

Costas,

The easiest way to get the front up on jack stands is to jack each side from the rear jack point. The car is so stiff that it will raise the front up plenty high enough to get a stand under the front jack point. Lower the rear after placing the jack stand in front and then repeat on the other side. This will get the front of the car up. Then jack the rear as Don suggested or by carefully jacking on the reinforced part of the engine case.

Karl

Thanks for the hint Karl

Tool Pants - This pic does show you what crazy (dangerous) things some people come up with to work on their cars....

Reminds me once when I was at a car wrecking yard and there was a car up on a forklift raised just above head height with this guy removing the gearbox.

The forklift looked like it was leaking hydraulic fluid everywhere and judging from its looks it probably had not been serviced for some time.

Anyway this guy is under the car and he walks away to grab some tool and just as he walks back to the raised car I see the forklift loose its hydraulic pressure and its load drops to a height of a about 2 feet - It would have caused the guy a bit of a headache if he was still under the car -Ouch

If your installing the exhaust, you will want to jack it up from the rear. I usually put the jack pad under the center of the engine crankcase to raise the rear of the car high enough so that I can place the jack stands under the main suspension support cross bar member on each side, then lower the car until the support member rests on the jack stand pads...If you car is low, your floor jack may not reach far enough under the car to jack it up from the main support cross member, hence you need to raise it up under the crank case. That is what I needed to do with my GT3...Perhaps your C4 is not lowered and you will have enough clearence to get the floor jack to reach the cross member..

• 1 month later...

Could someone please explain "exactly" where to put the trolley jack under the engine to jack up the rear of the car. A picture with arrows pointing to where would be brilliant.

I know this has been explained time and time again but I still am confused.

My car has the 030 mod so its damned low. It also has an airkit and sideskirts so

have to be careful with the jack points used for the stands.

I can "just" slide my 2Ton jack under the rear of the engine. I chocked the front tyres and tried to jack the car up but, I dunno, I don't feel I trust jacking that high to get the stands under. And where (again a picture would be great) to put the stands? I notice the higher I jack the car, the jack starts to roll sideways! It looks too high to me and also I am not sure I am using the right location for the jack. Also, the flippin alarm goes off. grrrrrr.......

Any help would be good. I am trying to jack up the rear of my car and put it on stands so that I can take the fabspeed mufflers out. I bought a set of bypass pipes on ebay and I just wanna try them for a few weeks :D

Cheers,

Berny

But where is the engine support brace?

I know it sounds dumb but I look under the rear of the car and I see um, er, an engine. I have seen some good pictures of the underneath of the engine but I still don't know where to put the jack there.

I saw in one post the mention of a seam where the two halves of the engine join. But I can't see it.

I saw another that talked about using a flat 8" lip bt I can't see that either.

I guess I need to see a picture with an arrow or something.

BTW: I know where the jacking points are on the side of the car.

Sorry fellas, just a dumb computer hacker here ;)

hey Scouser,

the two engine halves are, the engine and the gearbox.

I wonder it too, have seen underneath a couple of time but couldn't find a good place for supporting the jack!

it would be neet if anyone could post a good pic of the center point for the hydralic jack.

cheers,

Tony