Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Rear Foglight Problem?

Hey guys,

Another interesting question I have here. So I was driving down the road last night, when someone said to me "dude, it looks like one of your taillights is out." So i checked it out today, and here's what I'm seeing. Typically if I'm driving at night, I have all the lights on, Front Fogs, Rear Fogs, etc. People get irritated because they're so bright, but bah... whatever ;)

In any case, I opened up the trunk to check out the bulbs. What I noticed is that on the left side (driver's side of the car) There's a Fog Bulb. On the right side, there wasn't one. When The Light switch is pulled all the way out (2 clicks) the Rear Fog lights are activated.

So first thing was first... I tried taking the bulb from the left side, and sicking it in the right side to make sure it worked.... however.... it didn't... and I know for sure that bulb is good, since it works in the left side. The next thing I did was I went and inspected my old tail lights (the ones with amber plastic), and lo and behold.... the Driver's side one had a fog bulb, the Passenger side didnt! :huh: Is that just a coincidence?

Either way, I would expect that there should be 2 bulbs, and both bulbs should work. What's going on here?

In the US there is only one rear fog light - on the left rear.

Some states prohibit using fog lights when there is no fog.

Hmmm... never heard of a law like that in Illinois. Is there some hack for this? Or something that can be purchaed to fix this?

Hmmm... never heard of a law like that in Illinois. Is there some hack for this? Or something that can be purchaed to fix this?

I wouldn't say there is need to "fix this" but if you feel the need becuase you like things "balanced" in life, go for it! ;) . From my experience MOST Amercan cars do not have rear fog lights but many European models do and some do not.

Vw, BMW, Mini Cooper, ect just to name a few. Google the topic and you will find people from coast to coast feeling the need to find a "hack" to give them two fog lights in the rear. There has to be a reason one is only there and that one is only need.

My Saab 9000 CSE had the same thing and the only thing concerning about it was the regular comment from those who see it and tell us one of our tail ligts are out! Pesonally I never needed it but the wife seemed to always turn it out.

• Admin

Pennsylvania is one state that does not allow the use of (any) fog lights unless there is fog.

There is nothing to fix - your Porsche rear fogs are operating as spec'ed by Porsche.

After living in Europe where I had a rear fog light on my 911 and BMW, I always use it in the rain. That way folks behind you can see you. They should be on all cars in my opinion. You only need one to be seen.

Are they really that much brighter then the driving lights in the back? I seem to recall in my Saab it being rather redundant!

After living in Europe where I had a rear fog light on my 911 and BMW, I always use it in the rain. That way folks behind you can see you. They should be on all cars in my opinion. You only need one to be seen.

Are they really that much brighter then the driving lights in the back? I seem to recall in my Saab it being rather redundant!

Well the placement of the rear bulb illuminates another portion of the rear taillight, it's clearly obvious at night, that's why I was so confused :) And just for the record... I was pulled over a couple days ago (no ticket issued or anything) because the cop thought I had a taillight out. I told him I would check it out, and that's when I realized the car even HAD a rear foglight, and why I thought it was odd that it was only on the left side. Now I know! :) and knowing... is half the battle ;)

Although I would still be curious in getting the right side to work as well... purely for the sake of "symetrics"

I'd recommend leaving it the way it is, and strongly recommend using the rear fog light only when the conditions call for it. It's very bright and is completely unnecessary unless you're putting up a spray of rain water, seriously thick fog is floating around, or maybe heavy snowfall and it's hard to see. Using it in "normal" conditions is just a bad idea. There's a lot of evidence to support this. So much that in Germany, it's a very expensive ticket if you're running with your rear fog light on and there's no fog. When I was in the army in Germany, one of my American friends got pulled over three times for using his rear fog light when the conditions didn't allow. At least one of those times, he lost his license. However, we Germans are much more serious about driving and the rules applied.

Some places in the US they're equally vicious, but it's usually the infraction of the week. One week it's expired inspection stickers. The next it's tail lights out. The next week it's proper usage of lights (turn signals, fog lights, headlamps at dusk, etc.).

-Michael

Hey guys,

Another interesting question I have here. So I was driving down the road last night, when someone said to me "dude, it looks like one of your taillights is out." So i checked it out today, and here's what I'm seeing. Typically if I'm driving at night, I have all the lights on, Front Fogs, Rear Fogs, etc. People get irritated because they're so bright, but bah... whatever ;)

In any case, I opened up the trunk to check out the bulbs. What I noticed is that on the left side (driver's side of the car) There's a Fog Bulb. On the right side, there wasn't one. When The Light switch is pulled all the way out (2 clicks) the Rear Fog lights are activated.

So first thing was first... I tried taking the bulb from the left side, and sicking it in the right side to make sure it worked.... however.... it didn't... and I know for sure that bulb is good, since it works in the left side. The next thing I did was I went and inspected my old tail lights (the ones with amber plastic), and lo and behold.... the Driver's side one had a fog bulb, the Passenger side didnt! :huh: Is that just a coincidence?

Either way, I would expect that there should be 2 bulbs, and both bulbs should work. What's going on here?

You can run a cable from the side that works and splice this into the connector, one side will feed the other without issue.

However i fail to understand the need to have all lights on, fogs front and rear - what is the purpose?

The rear lights are much brighter than tail or brake lights and when in stationary traffic they dazzle the drivers behind, i can understand why some people get irritated - this is just inconsiderate driving, the effect is pretty much the same as someone driving behind you with main beam activated - you are dazzled in the mirrors.

Im amazed at your arrogance driving like this when you are aware you are creating issues.

Here in the UK we have a law whereby fog lights front or rear must only be used in poor visibility such as Fog or Falling snow, some people here do drive with all lights blazing but will get pulled by the Police who ask them if they are aware the fog lights are on, if you reply yes, you are nicked for breaking a law, if you say No then you are nicked for driving without due care.

However i fail to understand the need to have all lights on, fogs front and rear - what is the purpose?

Im amazed at your arrogance driving like this when you are aware you are creating issues.

Here in the UK we have a law whereby fog lights front or rear must only be used in poor visibility such as Fog or Falling snow, some people here do drive with all lights blazing but will get pulled by the Police who ask them if they are aware the fog lights are on, if you reply yes, you are nicked for breaking a law, if you say No then you are nicked for driving without due care.

First, I wasn't referring to "people being irritated by my rear fog lights" I was stating that the brightness of the headlights / fog light combination are enough to be irritating, and that people have told me before that they are bright (front end only). Really it's the HIDs on my model that people get irritated with. They think I have my high-beams on, when in fact, it's the low beams. Most people in the US still have the yellowish lights, and aren't used to HIDs yet. If anything it's more irritating when you're driving down the road minding your own business, and some 67 Chevy Pick Up Truck coming the opposite direction thinks you have your High-Beams on, and starts flashing you. <_<

Second, The Rear Fog Light (at least on my car) doesn't "dazzle" anyone.... it's not bright enough, or even close to the light that is produced from a headlamp or high beam. The only difference the rear fog light creates is that it illuminates another "RED" section of the taillamp that wasn't previously illuminated, and it's not that bright.

Third, I wasn't even "trying" to drive around with them on. I was stating that I usually drive around with my front Headlight and Fogs, because the fogs help see the sides of the road much clearer. Most people (at least where I'm from in the US) drive around with both low beams and fogs activated. The Rear Fogs I didn't even know I had activated (or that the car even had them) until someone said they thought a taillight was out.

Bottom line is, the tail lights weren't creating any issue for anyone. I simply noticed them for the first time the other day, and thought... "gee, that seems like an odd thing to have only one." I was just curious if anyone in the US ever bothered to make it symetrical. Again, there's no law in my town against Rear-Fog Lights. Not to mention, with all the CRAZY bad storms we get around here, fog from the Mid-West, lack of lit roads.... they'd be more safe, than non-safe.

my 2-cents. I'll get off my soap box now! :) :soapbox:

Edited by usaf-lt-g

Not quite the same response as your first post

"Typically if I'm driving at night, I have all the lights on, Front Fogs, Rear Fogs, etc. People get irritated because they're so bright, but bah... whatever"

Rear Fogs do dazzle, try being sat behind someone that has them on, the glare after a few minutes is more than irritating, If they were not bright they wouldnt be much use as a fog light now would they?

Edited by Glyn

If rear light "balance" is the thing you're trying to achieve, I have another obvious solution. Since rear fog light doesn't seem to be a major interest, why not just remove the rear fog bulb from the left side. This way, no need to rewire anything and things are very symmetrical. Since you lived okay without knowing that the rear fog light existed before, it shouldn't make a major impact to remove the bulb.

If rear light "balance" is the thing you're trying to achieve, I have another obvious solution. Since rear fog light doesn't seem to be a major interest, why not just remove the rear fog bulb from the left side. This way, no need to rewire anything and things are very symmetrical. Since you lived okay without knowing that the rear fog light existed before, it shouldn't make a major impact to remove the bulb.

I think I read somewhere that the reason here in the U.S. they left it so that only one side is on is to steer away from the mis-impression of "braking" for other drivers when you run ur rear fogs (that is if both were on)

Personally, I always thought the rear fog lights were dumb idea in the US, as they're bright enough to ruin people's night vision, and people will just think you're riding your brake pedal. I just mentally wrote it off as a european thing and don't use them. FYI, my rear fog lights light up both side equally (2004 Boxster S).

Another dumb question here- what use is the left-side/right-side parking lights? Why would anyone ever just want to use half their parking lights?

• Moderators

You find left/right side parking lights mostly on German cars, it have to do with the law. If you park the car on a not illuminated country road without verge by night or fog, you have to use them ( if the car is equipped with ) , if you don't, the insurance company in case of accident can ask for partial responsibility.

• 9 years later...

I suspect if I pulled up behind someone on a clear night who had the rear fog shining in my eyes I'd be flicking my brights at him and seeing how he liked it. Both invite confrontation.

Rear fogs are for safety in fog and not for irritating others. I suggest DRLs pointed at the edges of the lane as not irritating anyone yet effective in the front.

• 2 weeks later...

There is nothing to “fix” and there is no “problem.”

You can note in your owners manual where the functions of the light switch are described, the first click out is called fog lights and the second is called rear fog light (no S).

It should be obvious to anyone with even a modicum of intelligence that two rear fog lights is the same thing as brake lights. In fact, the bulbs are exactly the same.  German regulations are created with engineering common sense ... not something seeking cool doodahs. Only ever use this light in heavy rain, snow, or fog.  It’s not a play thing.

Of course, if you’re uncool like BMW, you’ll remove this feature on USA models.  Cheaper I suppose or maybe they think unfamiliar Americans can’t handle it.  They may be right.