Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2000 C2 Coupe, 6 speed - original owner, 106,000 smiles. 3rd RMS counting original. Replaced Transmission at about 90,000 miles (not smiling at that moment). Burning about 1Qt oil every 2000 miles or so. I drive it everyday. Some days I drive it with no where to go. I am really hoping for at least 200,000. Can anyone comment on whether oil consumption is coincident with the reported engine failures?

1Qt is not bad I know difrent car but same engine all my Subaru's use to burn about 2-3 Qts of oil evry 2000 miles (only when using Synthetic oil) its a boxer just monitor it, if it gets worse replace the air oil seperator and then see what she does.

Well started with oil leak (not RMS I found out) then a tick then turned into what sounded like a bearing knock. Shut her down and pulled trany (Tiptronic) its a bear to do but is  possible and got it done. need to be very patient and take your time o and buy lots of exstensions.

• 3 weeks later...

Well started with oil leak (not RMS I found out) then a tick then turned into what sounded like a bearing knock. Shut her down and pulled trany (Tiptronic) its a bear to do but is possible and got it done. need to be very patient and take your time o and buy lots of exstensions.

That's good to know at least in some cases there are warning signs. Glad you caught it in time before a catastrophic failure. I seldom see tiptronics having the IMS problem though. I think you are unlucky but yet lucky enough to dodge the bullet.

Ahsai - I don't mean to deviate off topic and I might be going out on a limb, but I would venture to guess you see less tips with IMS issues because there are less of them out there.

Issues related to IMS failures should be completely independent from the transmission type.

• 4 weeks later...

Her name is Ada - 80,600 miles.  She currently prowls the roads in NC daily, and runs like new thanks to Robert and his team at Lüfteknic in Richmond, VA!  I found her lonely and alone in northern VT on the fast road to the junkyard.  Since the beginning of our relationship, she's seen sun, rain, snow, endless highways and byways, and the rutted roads of the eastern seaboard.  Looking forward to the road ahead...

post-88848-0-67581700-1409427388_thumb.j

996 Carrera 4, 2001

270.000km (161.000 miles) and counting. Lot's of stuff done in recent years, IMS+RMS, clutch, brakes, water pump, shocks, top mounts, steering rack + end joints, lower ball joints, engine mounts. It's my daily driver and once again drives beautifully after all the suspension jobs.

pos2.jpg

pos3.jpg

pos1.jpg

hups1.jpg

Edited by foobari

• 2 weeks later...

Guess I didn't read that this was for 3.4L. Doh!!

2002 C4S, Just went over 33,700. Bought it at 31,500 July 20, 2014. Turned the garage queen into a daily driver. So far I have replaced the clutch, throw out bearing, RMS, IMS (with Pelican, pre-emptive replacement, old bearing was just fine, no material in the oil filter), thermostat (LN low temp), Porsche water pump, ignition switch and upgraded to a 997 shifter (all maintenance DIY). It is now a daily driver and loving it. Spirited driving everyday. So hopefully I will be posting up here with some high mileage.

Edited by Chicagospeed996

• 3 weeks later...

Just bought a 99 Cabrio with 207k on it.  It runs great!  Looks like its the original engine (M96/0166W12702).  I could not tell you if its ever had any major work done or anything though.

Pics below

Edited by lt1buick

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all,

I have a 2000 C4 with 64000 on it. I know that's not super high miles but I just wanted to add to the positives for this great little car. It is a joy and I am happy to be able to get in on a 911 at an affordable price. I had to do a reverse light switch and ignition switch. IMS (1700.00 at indie who's done a few) and RMS coming up as a preventative measure. No noises or leaks...solid.

• 2 weeks later...

2003 911 C4 Cabriolet, 77,000. New shocks, struts, brakes, rear light assembly, brake light switch, front driver's side heat seater (something to watch...it actually can burn through the padding and the leather...not on mine fortunately, but heard horror stories).

New clutch/flywheel assembly at 69,000.

The engine runs like a dream. Fires up every day. No oil leaks, or any other leaks, nothing wrong with the engine. I am in disbelief how well this car runs...amazing!

Check your fluids often, check your tire wear often, check your brakes, etc. 

All is good!

Julie

Edited by mdragon

• 3 months later...