Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

996 Chrome Wheels Flaking

I am a new poster to your board. My 2000 911 Millineum edition has chrome five spoke wheels that are peeling. After one contact, Porsche Cars has declined to repair them. I am seeking advice on A. contacting Porsche, B. Determining if I'm the only one with the problem.

I am the only owner. It has 22,000 miles, is on the second set of dealer installed tires, has only been washed by myself and the dealer, with no wheel cleaner other than soap, has only been in Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina, i.e. no road chemicals. It has one curb ding, but that's not where the chrome is peeling. No track use or excessive brake heating. It has been garaged most of the time, but did sit outside some.

It has a large flake on one front lip, a couple of small flakes on spokes on rear tires, and one on the inner rim.

I could understand a manufacturer not wanting to stand behind some parts and finishes after seven years. Seems to me that wheels, absent any abuse, however, should be more durable. I have owned several Porsches in the past and had no particular issues.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Jim

I am a new poster to your board. My 2000 911 Millineum edition has chrome five spoke wheels that are peeling. After one contact, Porsche Cars has declined to repair them. I am seeking advice on A. contacting Porsche, B. Determining if I'm the only one with the problem.

I am the only owner. It has 22,000 miles, is on the second set of dealer installed tires, has only been washed by myself and the dealer, with no wheel cleaner other than soap, has only been in Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina, i.e. no road chemicals. It has one curb ding, but that's not where the chrome is peeling. No track use or excessive brake heating. It has been garaged most of the time, but did sit outside some.

It has a large flake on one front lip, a couple of small flakes on spokes on rear tires, and one on the inner rim.

I could understand a manufacturer not wanting to stand behind some parts and finishes after seven years. Seems to me that wheels, absent any abuse, however, should be more durable. I have owned several Porsches in the past and had no particular issues.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Jim

Jim:

If your wheels are actually chromed for some reason (as opposed to the polished ones that Loren describes), then you will find that the areas where the flakes have come off will be a sort of copper/orange color.

That happened to me about a year ago, although I was not the original owner of the chromed wheels. I got estimates on repairing (rechroming) them and they ran about $200 each. Haven't had them done yet.

Regards, Maurice.

Thanks Maurice and Loren. The areas where the flaking has occured are an oxidized copper color and the flakes or chips are like tin foil supporting the plating answer. The dealer's response, from Porsche, was they would give me the name of the company in Germany who could replate them.

Thanks again for the answers.

Jim

• 5 months later...
I am looking to buy a Millenium Edition and have seen a few. All have had flaking of the wheels with the red undercoating showing. It seems to be a real problem. Anyone interested in selling one, please let me know.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I have some new info regarding these wheels. Mine have started flaking and I'm looking into some new wheels. I contacted Dave at Wheel Enhancement about buying some wheels and possibly having my originals refinished. Dave says that the factory finish can't be duplicated. He says it's a Mylar laminate over a resin base (the reddish undercoating). I've never heard of this process for a wheel and wonder if anyone else has any experience with refinishing these wheels.

I am looking to buy a Millenium Edition and have seen a few. All have had flaking of the wheels with the red undercoating showing. It seems to be a real problem. Anyone interested in selling one, please let me know.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I have some new info regarding these wheels. Mine have started flaking and I'm looking into some new wheels. I contacted Dave at Wheel Enhancement about buying some wheels and possibly having my originals refinished. Dave says that the factory finish can't be duplicated. He says it's a Mylar laminate over a resin base (the reddish undercoating). I've never heard of this process for a wheel and wonder if anyone else has any experience with refinishing these wheels.

Blake:

L.A. Wheel & Tire (800) 584-2832 will re-chrome these wheels on an exchange basis and guarrantee the finish against flaking for a few years (can't remember if it's two or four years). Look them up on eBay and you will find the details, under the section of their auction that answers the question "What if my wheels are already chromed?"

Regards, Maurice.

I haven't had a problem with flaking, but have had occasional brushes with curbs. I took my wheels to WheelTech in Santa Clara. They told me they couldn't duplicate the original Porsche process, but they could duplicate the original appearance, and they did. It's been four years now and the wheels still look great.

Allen

I think this is God's way of saying a Porsche should not have chromed wheels! :) Sorry, just my opinion. Fame on. I'm ready.

You may be right, but on the other hand, I've heard a lot of compliments about my wheels over the years. Guess it's just personal preference, God's involvement is probably very small. :P

Allen

I think this is God's way of saying a Porsche should not have chromed wheels! :) Sorry, just my opinion. Fame on. I'm ready.

You may be right, but on the other hand, I've heard a lot of compliments about my wheels over the years. Guess it's just personal preference, God's involvement is probably very small. :P

Allen

To be correct, these wheels are NOT chromed. Yes, they look like it and maybe that's all that matters to most people. But, Porsche does not chrome wheels from the factory. Chroming a wheel compromises the structeral integrity.

Allen, do you know what process WheelTech used in duplicating the "look" of the wheel?

Allen, do you know what process WheelTech used in duplicating the "look" of the wheel?

Although the WheelTech guys were happy to talk about it at the time, it's been long enough ago that I don't remember. I don't recall anything at all about the prep process. Judging by what's visible inside, I think the finish itself looks like a few layers of differing metallic lacquers with one or more layers of urethane clearcoat.

I was concerned that the finish wouldn't be scratch resistant, but that's never been a problem. It seems similar to the original in that respect.

Allen

• 1 year later...

Sorry to revive an old topic, but it's time for new tires and my wheels 18" ?high gloss? have succumb to the flaking / red coating issue. I'm looking for used OEM replacements, but they all seem to have the same issues. Not really interested in adding the extra weight of chrome. Has anybody found a good resolution to this issue? Thanks.

• 7 years later...

Xena,

My Millennium Edition is #602. I picked it up in March 2016.

The guy I purchased it from had flaking on his two rear wheels. He was a spare no expense type guy and had the dealer in Plano replace the wheels with remanufactured wheels at a cost of $2000 for the wheels alone. He did get a $200 parts discount and a $10.00 labor discount.

I have never been a fan of factory OEM chrome wheels on any car, but these have grown on me. I've made it a point to only use mild soap and water on my wheels.

You can always get a set of after-market wheels or used Porsche wheels from one of the many Porsche dismantlers.

My biggest fear is the wear on my driver's seat.

Best of luck

MNC-I

Emperorphobos,

There are several ways to identify a Millennium Edition:

1) It is a one year only 2000 model

2) It has special paint that looks green, purple and black depending on the angle of the sun reflecting off the car

3) It has a dash plaque that tells you what number car it is (Porsche only made 911 of them)

4) It should have just about every option available for 2000 (the only option code on my hood sticker is the Millennium Edition code)

5) They all have a natural full leather interior

6) Instead of Carrera on the engine cover, there is a chrome 911

7) All of them are C4s

MNC-I

The Porsche dealer I bought from say the rims can be refinished in silver or black, at around $1000.    Also, technically, Porsche does not describe these rims as chrome, that's just what the finish looks like.  (believe someone earlier included that thought in the string)

Lastly, I actually agree - the chrome wheels were unexpected for me but came with the Millennium package.  I won't be tracking this car, so for me the interior was the most important, and I love this one of a kind color (more caramel than the two tan interior that have been offered on the 911.

per the info above, I think re-chroming (which I think would need to be done in California) could impact the overall rim spec.

Any thoughts on impact to long term value for rims that are not the stock (visually) a the chrome appearance 18 inch turbo look rims that were the original equipment?  might help me decide what to do.

thanks!!

11.jpg

Xena, for the time being, the price of a 996 falls in general, so it's pretty obvious that wont change anything if you fix your wheels. I had issues with mine (chrome) and I redid them somewhere in NJ (In NY is not allowed), have a look in CT too.

Edited by emperorphobos

super, thanks!  While 996s are still going down, it won't be that way forever.  Did you do an aftermarket IMS on yours?  how about the RMS?

I'm toying with installing an IMS monitoring system - have you?

Hey,.

Just because this is my first Porsche, and this was a dream since I saw my first one in Berlin Germany when I was 11 and I grew up a motor head kid in NY.

This thing is amazing.   The driving experience is so engaging and in the moment.  No need to have the radio on, the motor provides the music.  Happy to put the windows down and hear the sound reflect off parked cars as you go by. Forget being on the phone.  (Goodness, best part!!).  Able to not be on conference calls in a car that might as well be your living room from the perspective of engagement.   The wish that I could tell my uncle I finally have one, since he was a Swiss stage actor who had a new one every two years (not leased).  Sadly passed before I did.  He would have been SO happy.

Just need to tell a community that "gets it" how this car is EVERYTHING I dreamed it would be.

Man, I feel lucky.

Xena