Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Cupholders from ultimatecupholders dot com STAY AWAY

I ordered two cupholders from ultimatcupholders . com . They LOOK really nicely made and I was hoping that they would be functional as well. My advice- STAY AWAY from these. They are garbage. The moldings on the 996 are not snug enough to hold these in and I experimented with 12oz soda cans with no luck. I'm glad I didn't go straight to the coffee cups. I had this style cupholder on my 03 z06 vette from another company and they were great on that car- on this car, throw them away.

Wross do you have a pic of where you installed them? Weird request to expect you to just have them but worth asking..

On both sides:

DSC00776.jpg

wross:

Nice touch with the matching red armrests!

Regards, Maurice.

WRAITH: I have to add my voice to those who disagree with you. I don't know what you were expecting...maybe a billett tooled-to-fit piece that tied in with the interior somehow....but the Ultimate Cup Holder has a LONG line of satisfied customers from the Porsche, Corvette, Ferrari and other sports car afficianados. It's made to slip in there as a add-on piece that's pretty well GENERIC to fit into any vehicle.

I have to say that you are one of the first people I've heard from who has bashed the product. I guess I just don't understand what your expectations were....but I've had them in my 996, my 930, and my TT...and they've always worked as advertised.

Chuck

Oh and WROSS...nice pics of the interior....arent you the one who's constantly posting "no mods...all stock"?? :) :)

Edited by Chuck Jones

Yes as iornman said...you have to bend the upper curved part...sometimes increase, sometimes decrease the curve of the bend to get it to slide under the plastic or metal union between the carpeting and the center console. Then you push it down into the carpeting on the floor to hold it in place. I've had the large traveller's coffee cups in there (slit in the side to allows for the handle), soft drink containers, various sized water bottles etc. You can bend open or close the diameter of the holder to fit just about any container. They all fit and short of a major front end impact, they stay put. I always put mine on the passenger's side. I only wish I had invented this product.

Like just about every other poster here, I love the Ultimate Cup holders in my 996. I had already installed the Bird arm rest with its swing out holder .... but that tends to get in the way of my wife's arm when we travel in my car .... and, of course, it holds only one cup.

I made one mod to the UCH: I cut the head off of a small (3 penny) finishing nail and used expoxy to attach it to the bottom, rear edge of the holder. (scuff the aluminum surface first). In that position, the nail extends approximately 1/2 inch past the bottom edge and into the carpet. The result is that the UCH is much more securely anchored, with the nail digging into the floor mat. It is much less likely to be moved out of position by an inadvertent kick.

Thanks for the input everyone. Maybe it's just my trim thats the problem. I have tried mounting them like the pics of the beautiful interior above but I have no luck. They move around- I have tried bending them as much as I could and decreasing the bends. I don't know, maybe my trim is bad.

Your statement "they move around"....makes me wonder.....are you of the impression that they'll be rigid? If so, your expectations are incorrect. They do not remain in there absolutely ridig....they do move around a bit and can be taken in and out in about 5 seconds.....I guess that's why Kim put in that nail head to help anchor the bottom and keep it a bit more rigid by having the point poke into the carpet. You can inadvertantly kick them or push them over if they're too far back and you move the seat forward with the electric seat control.

The guys/gals who are "purists" and claim that no Porsche should have a cup holder actually like them becasue you can remove them in a flash if someone comes up and you don't want them to know you have a ....OMG...a......a.......(cupholder)!!

Your statement "they move around"....makes me wonder.....are you of the impression that they'll be rigid? If so, your expectations are incorrect. They do not remain in there absolutely ridig....they do move around a bit and can be taken in and out in about 5 seconds.....I guess that's why Kim put in that nail head to help anchor the bottom and keep it a bit more rigid by having the point poke into the carpet. You can inadvertantly kick them or push them over if they're too far back and you move the seat forward with the electric seat control.

The guys/gals who are "purists" and claim that no Porsche should have a cup holder actually like them becasue you can remove them in a flash if someone comes up and you don't want them to know you have a ....OMG...a......a.......(cupholder)!!

Chuck,

Mine just tip over if i put a can/cup in them. I had this same style in my z06 with no issues. Maybe it's my trim pieces. I will take them apart and investigate.

If they just tip over then they either aren't right for that particular car....or who knows. You sound like you've fiddled around with cars before, so it's not like you don't know how to install one....and I certainly don't want to insult your intelligence. They're rather easy to install so if they're tipping over, they may be too short to reach under the center console far enough to secure them....

If they just tip over then they either aren't right for that particular car....or who knows. You sound like you've fiddled around with cars before, so it's not like you don't know how to install one....and I certainly don't want to insult your intelligence. They're rather easy to install so if they're tipping over, they may be too short to reach under the center console far enough to secure them....

I checked all my trim pieces- they're fine and tight. Yeah, I've done a little here and there with cars ;)

http://www.pbase.com/itsmeek

I double checked and was told that these are the correct cupholders for my application. I put a heavy coffee cup in one of them the other day and it seemed fine until I made a turn and the coffee cup almost fell out. I suppose I can put double sided tape or velcro on the cupholder to hold it in. Thanks again!

I checked all my trim pieces- they're fine and tight. Yeah, I've done a little here and there with cars ;)

http://www.pbase.com/itsmeek

I double checked and was told that these are the correct cupholders for my application. I put a heavy coffee cup in one of them the other day and it seemed fine until I made a turn and the coffee cup almost fell out. I suppose I can put double sided tape or velcro on the cupholder to hold it in. Thanks again!

Strange. I actually reused ones I had from my 528i, by just flattening and rebending the SS top. Works great.

I disagree on the company and the product as I've had a good experience with them, but I understand what you're saying. I have the older version of that cupholder with 4 pins in the back that go into the carpet rather than the shim that goes up under the trim. The cupholder itself stays in fine if I insert it at the right height to have the floor carpet keep the bottom snug while the pins hold it against the console carpet. I would never put any container with an open top in there, though (soda can, cofe-shop cup, etc.) as they do wobble around. Even if I squeezed the cupholder to be smaller the wobble is just a function of cups standing on the floor and being topheavy. I only put travel mugs and cold rink lids (with straws plugging the holes) in the cupholder.

I still like the thing. It's the best I was able to find and has been fine for a couple years now.

I recall that I emailed the store with a qwuestion before buying the cupholder ans it turned out to be just a guy running this operation out of his home designing the cupholder and sourcing out the mass production. He was cool. He also might be able to suggest another way to install it or possibly send you one of the older models like mine.