Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

It's gone... the dream is over.

Yeah, I had to sell my Carrera. But I feel fortunate to have had the opportunity to own one. When I was 15 years old, I had a Car and Driver Magazine, which had an article about the new 930 Turbo. I probably held on to that Magazine for a couple of years, owning a 911 became my life long dream. I remember when my son was a little guy, and we were paying almost all the money we had to formula. diapers and daycare, I saw a white 911 pass while driving my beat up Ford Aerostar second hand mini van. I thought to myself, "One day, it is gonna happen".

Well, I had a second kid, my Daughter and everything was going well. I ended up with a good job in IT, my wife has a good job, we are homeowners and we have the best kids anybody could ask for. My son is now 19 and off in the Army, freshly married and getting ready to head to Afghanistan. My Daughter is 16, and a gifted Academic, she had actually skipped grades in shcool, and started full time College at 15 years old... almost Doogie Houser like.

The opportunity came, the stars lined up and the win blew the right way, and I was able to buy a sweet black 2002 911, and it was everything I dreamed it would be.. oh what a car! Everybody knew this was THE car for dad, the kids were extra careful in the garage and everybody respected the fact that it was my life long dream car.

So my daughter got her drivers license, and she is such a good kid, I took the stretch and bought her a very good used Toyota Corolla. My son, who is living with his new wife at Ft. Bragg in NC is having some tough times, so I have been sending him some extra money and whatnot. As it turns out now, his wife is pregnant and due right as he is scheduled to leave for Afghanistan for a year. I offered to let his wife come live with us while he is gone, I think she will. But the big problem comes in the fact that they only own one car, a Chevy Colorado standard cab pickup which he put no money down and they are horribly upside in. I am sure you see where this is going, they have no place for a car seat, basically no money, so they need a car, and a good one. So, I sold the Porsche... Yes, the 911 is gone.

I was able to buy a second hand Mini Cooper for myself, and a very good Toyota Rav4 for my son's new family with the proceeds of the sale. I miss the car, but I guess the part that makes me the saddest is the fact that our soldiers, not just my son, but most all of our enlisted men, are living below the poverty line. My son qualifies for Food Stamps and WIC.

As great as it was to own my dream car for a year, I gotta say, you really don't have to look too far to find the real treasures in your life.

So... Lets go Motoring?

IMG_0171.jpg

Yeah, I had to sell my Carrera. But I feel fortunate to have had the opportunity to own one. When I was 15 years old, I had a Car and Driver Magazine, which had an article about the new 930 Turbo. I probably held on to that Magazine for a couple of years, owning a 911 became my life long dream. I remember when my son was a little guy, and we were paying almost all the money we had to formula. diapers and daycare, I saw a white 911 pass while driving my beat up Ford Aerostar second hand mini van. I thought to myself, "One day, it is gonna happen".

Well, I had a second kid, my Daughter and everything was going well. I ended up with a good job in IT, my wife has a good job, we are homeowners and we have the best kids anybody could ask for. My son is now 19 and off in the Army, freshly married and getting ready to head to Afghanistan. My Daughter is 16, and a gifted Academic, she had actually skipped grades in shcool, and started full time College at 15 years old... almost Doogie Houser like.

The opportunity came, the stars lined up and the win blew the right way, and I was able to buy a sweet black 2002 911, and it was everything I dreamed it would be.. oh what a car! Everybody knew this was THE car for dad, the kids were extra careful in the garage and everybody respected the fact that it was my life long dream car.

So my daughter got her drivers license, and she is such a good kid, I took the stretch and bought her a very good used Toyota Corolla. My son, who is living with his new wife at Ft. Bragg in NC is having some tough times, so I have been sending him some extra money and whatnot. As it turns out now, his wife is pregnant and due right as he is scheduled to leave for Afghanistan for a year. I offered to let his wife come live with us while he is gone, I think she will. But the big problem comes in the fact that they only own one car, a Chevy Colorado standard cab pickup which he put no money down and they are horribly upside in. I am sure you see where this is going, they have no place for a car seat, basically no money, so they need a car, and a good one. So, I sold the Porsche... Yes, the 911 is gone.

I was able to buy a second hand Mini Cooper for myself, and a very good Toyota Rav4 for my son's new family with the proceeds of the sale. I miss the car, but I guess the part that makes me the saddest is the fact that our soldiers, not just my son, but most all of our enlisted men, are living below the poverty line. My son qualifies for Food Stamps and WIC.

As great as it was to own my dream car for a year, I gotta say, you really don't have to look too far to find the real treasures in your life.

So... Lets go Motoring?

IMG_0171.jpg

Thank you for your family sacrifices.... Many folks, myself included take for granted

what we have the ability to enjoy in life thanks to contributions like you and your son.

Hope for the best for your son and expanding family.

Make sure he takes advantage of the GI Bill so that he has a way post Army to not continue

to be WIC eligible.

Mike

Thank you for sharing your story. You are a great father and God bless your son for serving.

Like others said you will have another 911 soon. Seems kind of petty compared to the other situations in your life. But these darn cars do get under your skin.

Your dream isn't over...Just postponed...

If you are ever out in So Cal you are welcome to come and take a drive in mine!

:cheers:

Edited by phillipj

One of the best things anyone could ever do is to give up something they love to help someone else. May God bless you and your family. Also on the same note as Phillipj, If ever your're in Md, come drive mine as well

Edited by bcr4d

Thanks for all the kind words. The truth is, I really never should have bought that car, although I was able to pay for it, I would have been in REAL trouble if it ever broke. I had to put a clutch in and did all the work myself in my friends garage and it still set me back $1K.

In all honesty.. the Mini is a GREAT car, not fast by any definition. Actually quite slow, but something about it puts a smile on your face when driving it. I'll probably hold off on the 911 until the days comes that I hit a big financial windfall, like lottery or something. And then, probably buy the dream car from my childhood, a nice air cooled turbo.

Thank you all, although I have not been a big contributor here, the wealth of information has been very helpful on many occasions.

Best of luck to you all!

Jerry

Thanks for all the kind words. The truth is, I really never should have bought that car, although I was able to pay for it, I would have been in REAL trouble if it ever broke. I had to put a clutch in and did all the work myself in my friends garage and it still set me back $1K.

In all honesty.. the Mini is a GREAT car, not fast by any definition. Actually quite slow, but something about it puts a smile on your face when driving it. I'll probably hold off on the 911 until the days comes that I hit a big financial windfall, like lottery or something. And then, probably buy the dream car from my childhood, a nice air cooled turbo.

Thank you all, although I have not been a big contributor here, the wealth of information has been very helpful on many occasions.

Best of luck to you all!

Jerry

Jerry,

I would suggest to you buying the Pcasr was the right thing to do at the time for all the reasons you reference in your first "dream post". You my friend have the next set of priorities spot on and helping your family is apprpriately at the top of the list. Thanks for your sons service and I'm sure your best Pcar days are ahead of you!! Meanwhile enjoy the mini........... Demosan :cheers:

So... Lets go Motoring?

IMG_0171.jpg

All I can say is your are a great father and please send my salute to your son; one of our soldiers.

As I read your story I was affraid that your dream car end up with a blown engine but it is good that it end up in the good hands of another Posche lovers.

Well, some dreams come and go some comes and stay. The most important thing is we enjoy our dream when it came and not suffer when it gone.

I wish your dream will come true again shortly.

Nghia

I've got watery eyes with your story, may God bless you for not being selfish. May God bless our armed forces personnel. You did not loose a 911, on the contrary you've gain positive karma. Without going into details, I should have done the same thing, my respect and admiration. In my book you are still part of the Porsche family.

Edited by hi8ha

that is incredibly noble and inspiring of you. i wish your son a safe return, congrats to your self on your growing family, and a happy holiday season. you certainly show that being a truely passionate motorhead need not come at the sacrifice of money or family, its an appreciation, if only from a distance, for the things we love. all the best!

Best wishes to you and your family, you have much to be thankful for. And don't be a stranger! MINIs are awesome stuff. I don't know if you've ever driven on a track with your 911 but you might consider doing it in the MINI... a few bucks on performance tires and a set of brake pads will net you an ear-to-ear grin just like the one your 911 pasted on.

If you're ever in my neck of the woods and feel like driving a 997, give a yell. :)

Mark

Incredibly generous and considerate thing to do for your family, you have my utmost respect for what you've done.

i know this is not a political forum and this topic should probably not be discussed here, but do you people really think that your soldiers are going to Afghanistan to protect the USA??