Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

ipod and aux capability for becker cdr-220

Yes, there are cheap aux cables available on ebay, Crutchfield (Blaupunkt cable), and even direct from Becker. There are also ipod adapters available from Crutchfield (Blau cable $5), Becker (over $100), and Scoshe ($180). I think the only one that offers both aux and ipod is the Scoshe and it's $180 and you would have to adapt it to the Porsche pinouts.

Blaupunkt ipod $5:

http://www.crutchfie...blaupunkt+cable

Becker:

http://www.beckeraut...trafficPro.html

Scosche Audi:

http://www.scosche.c...io/product/1822

The reason I started this thread is that I wanted to add both AUX and ipod capability. I wanted to be able to plug in my ipod or plug in a smart phone. I also wanted the ipod connection to charge my ipod. A couple of years ago I bought such an adapter off of ebay for my Accord, it was plug and play and cost about $75. I went on ebay and found that same adapter but they didn't offer it for Porsche. They did, however, offer it for Audi and VW. It was listed for $29 so I figured I would take a chance and try to get it to work with the Becker CDR-220.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item2eb213a948

I'm not trying to promote their adapter, just trying to help out those that are looking to add ipod with charge capability and AUX.

I cross referenced the VW/Audi pinouts to the Porsche CDR-220 pinous and got it to work. The key thing is that VW/Audi have all of their CD changer pins on the blue mini iso connector. Porsche moved these over to the green mini iso. See images borrowed from TDIClub.

Blue mini iso as it is wired by Axxess for use on VW:

Pin#13 - Data To Changer - Axxess wire Yellow

Pin #15 - Data Clock To Changer - Axxess wire Blue

Pin #14 - Data From Changer - Axxess wire Brown

Pin #16 - Power to Changer (+12) Axxess wire Grey

Pin #20 - Right Audio - Axxess wire White

Piin #17 - Power Control -Axxess wire Green

Pin #18 - Audio Ground Axxess wire Black

Pin #19 - Left Audio - Axxess wire Red

Removed the Yellow, Blue, Brown, Grey, and Green wires/pins from the Blue mini iso.

I obtained a green mini iso and plugged the pins in as follows:

Pin #10 - Yellow wire from Axxess adapter (cdr-220 data)

Pin # 7 - Green wire from Axxess adapter (cdr-220 bus-on)

Pin #12 - Brown wire from Axxess adapter (cdr-220 changer reset)

Pin #9 - Left blank (but I'm pretty sure this is ground and the ground wire could have gone here. I chose to attach it to the radio body instead)

Pin #11 - Blue wire from Axxess adapter (cdr-220 clock)

Pin #8 - Grey wire from Axxess adapter (battery or power 12v)

FYI, the 3rd image below is of the pinouts for the VW radio...NOT THE PORSCHE. http://www.modifiedlife.com/2002-volkswagen-jetta-car-radio-wiring-schematic-for-monsoon-audio/

I used this image to cross reference to the CDR-220 pinout provided by the pelicanparts forum under 986 diy radio. http://www.pelicanpa...dio_Install.htm

I sent an email to tech support at Axxess to let them know of the pinouts I used and suggested they make a version for the Porsche as I know there's interest on this forum. Hopefully they'll work something up.

post-72724-0-41936900-1317914091_thumb.j

post-72724-0-12671100-1317914106_thumb.j

post-72724-0-39369000-1317915057.jpg

Edited by feds27
  • Upvote 2

I used a plug & play solution from Becker Sound. The cable was $110 if I remember correctly, and it plays and charges my iPod Touch and iPhone right out of the box. It plugs into the CD changer outlet on the back of the CDR220.

I used a plug & play solution from Becker Sound. The cable was $110 if I remember correctly, and it plays and charges my iPod Touch and iPhone right out of the box. It plugs into the CD changer outlet on the back of the CDR220.

Does it also include an AUX input for using it with a non-Apple mp3 player or smartphone? What I was trying to point out is that I have both AUX and ipod capability with ipod charging. I'm not sure the Becker solution will work for people who are running Pandora on their Droid.

No, the Becker cable that I'm talking about doesn't have a generic Aux-In cable. It is Apple-specific. I wanted a single cable that played and charged the iPod/iPhone. They probably have cables that handle other devices. Their website is kind of lame, so the best bet is to call and tell them exactly what you want.

feds27, if you're in Hoboken, NJ just drive up to Saddle Brook where Becker is, it'll be worth it. As the other member said, their site is not so compelling but if you go there, the guys are great. They fitted my aux and iPod for my CDR, including help shave one of the spare buttons on the dash, so I had a jack and not a cable hanging.

Feds27, thanks for taking the time to write this up. Alfieboy, can you post some pics of the custom jack?

I added the simple plug and jack with no power/charging capability to my CDR220. The only issue I have is that the sound quality is poor and it seems to pick up alternator whine heavily (no power cord involved). I can't complain since now I can listen to my music, but wondering if there is a simple filter or fix for it.

Edited by xmac

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was worried about the exposed terminals on the radio head unit if I left off the yellow and green connectors (pulled out the CD changer in my car), so I decided to order dummy connectors to mate to the blue ipod and keep the pins somewhat isolated.

IMG_4891.jpg

A friend of mine in the UK bought the connectors for me since I had trouble sourcing them online in the US. I took pictures of the part number and packaging in case anyone else needs them. I found that the German website Conrad.com carries them with part numbers below.

Blue part# 378650

Green part# 378652

Yellow part# 378648

IMG_4886.jpg

IMG_4882.jpg

IMG_4885.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Does the plug-and-play becker solution offer ipod control via the HU (CDR220) ? or does one have to cotrol it on the ipod/iphone? thanks!
No, you continue to use the iPod to control things (except volume). The cable provides "aux-in" to the head only, not digital signals. Systems that make the iPod emulate a CD changer are substantially more expensive.

Two questions:

1. The FM antenna adapter that I have seen advertised also provides song number and title info to the Becker Display. Does the above described Aux input provide the same display info?

2. Plugged into my Trunk changer which does not seem to work BTW- "I get the No Disc found" message are three plugs two are RCA phono plugs and one is a Din style round plug. - Could I disconnect all three from the Changer and use the two RCA male phone plugs as audio input from an IPOD mounted in the trunk using a RS Adapter 1/8" (3.5MM Stereo Male to Dual RCA Phone) (Female) - part # 274-883 for about $9.00? - I know it would not provide power and I no it is in the trunk but one could always run the RCA cables back into the cabin and save from having to pull out the Becker and coming up with the plug.

2. Well I will answer part of my # 2 question. I used the $9.00 adapter and plugged one end of the adapter into my IPod headphone jack and then plugged the left and right RCA phono jacks into the RCA phono jacks I pulled out of the changer. I assume to make it work you need to change from CD to aux on the Becker which I had already done. I forgot to look and see if Luciano was being displayed on the Becker Screen.

Attached is a pic of the adapter plugged in to the RCA Audio Jacks. The Ipod device plugs into the exposed plug.

The second pic is of the package the adapter came in that I got at RS

post-80079-0-38754300-1335973452_thumb.j

post-80079-0-02510000-1335973478_thumb.j

Edited by barlowdo

• 4 years later...