Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

A solution to the rear spoiler problem

Beecher

The spoiler on my 2003 coupe had developed a mind of its own. It would go up and down at random times. No apparent leaks, but the system wouldn't hold pressure. I really didn't want to spend the big bucks to replace Porsche's electro-hydraulic curiosity. I found this well thought out kit on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/120810030712?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649. For $150 you get two threaded rods with other hardware that replaces the hydraulics in the rams that raise and lower the spoiler. Also included are well written instructions with photographs on how to do the job. The author even included his phone number, so you get help if you encounter a problem. If you are happy to have an immobile spoiler (you get to set the heigth) this is the way to go. :thumbup:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

It's been a while since I installed the kit, but here goes. Open the engine cover and remove the row of nuts holding the cover on the left side. Remove the hydraulic fittings from the two rams that support the spoiler. Remove the bolts holding the hydraulic resevoir. Pull out the resevoir from behind the engine lid cover. Follow the instructions in the kit and remove the insides of the two hydraulic rams. Pull the spoiler up and off the car. Clean up the shells and install the long treaded rods provided and adjust the spoiler to taste. Follow the instructions to alter the wiring to stop the "check spoiler" light from lighting on the dash. You have removed about 15 pounds of useless junk and made your car much less failure prone.

• 1 month later...

I've installed this kit and am quite satisfied. To be really picking, there are some things that might be improved about the instructions, but they are certainly adequate. I think the installation may be causing a little noise over rough pavement, but nothing to be really concerned about. The guy must be making a huge mark-up on this, but who cares--it's an effective, inexpensive resolution to an expensive problem that also saves some weight.

• 6 months later...

"Follow the instructions to alter the wiring to stop the "check spoiler" light from lighting on the dash"

What is involved to do that? At the moment my rear wing hydraulics do not work and I'd like to get rid of the warning...

Thanks

Ronny

• 2 months later...

I just rebuilt mine. Not easy but do-able. The key is cutting the brass 'seal tube' in the correct spot to reassemble properly. Seals are $2.00.

Can you elaborate? Where did you found the seals? Part#? Cutting the brass tube? Thanks!

Edited by jpflip

Remove ram from car. remove brass tube from ram (carefully) with wheel puller or very long 8mmx1.0 threaded rod in 'bottom' banjo fitting, Cut brass tube with simple pipe cutter at 1.25 inches from end of large collar side of tube. Clean up id of tube, remove parts, replace two orings on 'gland' (fancy word for piston with seals). Orings from theoringstore.com, 2.4x7.6 mm. part # V2.40X007.6. Expensive part-have sleeve made to cover 'cut' in brass tube and silver solder back together with new seals in place. Assemble ram with long threaded rod and wheel puller. Assemble ram, bleed system. Spoiler fixed!

Parts/shipping/ sleeve/ welding(sublet) $95.00- I'm working on a plan to repair the ram so I can replace the seals without welding. This would make the repair cost less then $50.00 per tube.

• 4 months later...

Has anyone actually used the FL guy? I do find it a bit ridiculous that Porsche couldn't figure out how to make this assembly last more than four years, but that seems to be the best they can manage - and even the 997s apparently have the same issue. I have to wonder.

• 2 weeks later...

I have used the rebuild option mentioned above from Cabriolet Hydraulics in Fl. Works great and has been about 4 months or so with no issues. Company is great and best customer service I have experienced. Highly recommended and comes with a good warranty as well. Just my $.02

I have used the rebuild option mentioned above from Cabriolet Hydraulics in Fl. Works great and has been about 4 months or so with no issues. Company is great and best customer service I have experienced. Highly recommended and comes with a good warranty as well. Just my $.02

Thanks for the feedback. You are the second person who left a comment about them and both are positive!!! Glad to know!

• 8 years later...
On 3/3/2013 at 8:43 PM, jpflip said:

Just a note for people with spoiler hydraulic problems. Just found on the net a guy in Florida that fix the hydraulic unit. If anyone ever used them please post your result....http://cabriolethydraulics.com/porsche-carrera-hydraulics.phphttp://cabriolethydraulics.com/porsche-carrera-hydraulics.php

I sent my rear spoilen hydrolic system  ( both rams, hydrolic pump and lines)  to Cabriolet Hydrolics 10 days ago and today I received the parts back.  I'll install tomorrow and edit this and post results.  I installed the rebuilt set last week.  They charged the shop $740 total to rebuild.  Works great and all original factory parts and look.  

Hey I figure I can have them rebuilt 3 times for cost of the electric rams and this way it looks as it did out the factory

Edited by Porschelibrarian

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...