Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Can I replace the headliner in my 99 996 Cab withou removing the top?

We just had the convertible top on our 1999 996 Cab replaced. (Top was from AutoTop - BTW, fine construction, with glass rear window -- highly recommend it.)

However, the installers (one of the supposedly "top" top installers in the area - Young's, for those of you in the Norfolk area) determined that the new top's zipper for the headliner was installed backwards -- so they simply removed the headliner and went ahead with the top installation. I'm feeling like they took me for a dummy and figured I'd shaddup and go away.

Well, after a simple call to AutoTop, it turns out that the "top" top installer was dead wrong -- they simply did not realize HOW to work the zipper. Unfortunately, the technician never came out to explain to me in person; instead, there was always the protective interface of the front desk girl, or the excessively exuberant store owner. I should have recognized this common trick.

Which all leads me to this question: IS IT POSSIBLE FOR ME TO INSTALL THAT HEADLINER MYSELF, OR WILL THIS INVOLVE HAVING TO REMOVE THE NEW TOP AGAIN, WITH ALL THE PURPORTED DIFFICULTIES REQUIRING AN EXPERT INSTALLER?

I'd prefer to fix it myself, rather than go thru the confrontation that is sure to follow. I'm a psychologist of sorts, and I can already predict the reaction the installer will have when I dare to challenge him. The factor of "losing face" will override any desire to admit a mistake any day of the year.

Any help, directions, past experiences, would be appreciated.

Thanks.

my 2 cents: return to the installer and have them talk directly to AutoTop. I know you're anticipating/predicting the installer's reaction but much easier to ASK first vs. tackling a DIY to fix their mistake. The possibility still exists that they could own up to their mistake and fix it. Best of luck.

Edited by kromdom

my 2 cents: return to the installer and have them talk directly to AutoTop. I know you're anticipating/predicting the installer's reaction but much easier to ASK first vs. tackling a DIY to fix their mistake. The possibility still exists that they could own up to their mistake and fix it. Best of luck.

Thanks, but Young's installer still refused to come to the phone. He also refused to come to the phone when the top manufacturer (AutoTop) tried to call him numerous times.

However, I got the answer to my question.

Despite the local Norfolk "top" top installer's statement that the headliner cannot be installed without removing the top, AutoTop (who installs 2 tops a week in the 1999-2002 996's in CA) stated that the headliner CAN be installed.

Furthermore, they are sending me a zipper-puller, which, of course, the scoundrels at Young's (yes, Youngs, for those of you in the Norfolk area who might be considering them!) either ignored, were unaware of, of just plain forgot -- so that I can install the headliner myself.

AutoTop states that the trick is to get the glass window zipped in, THEN the rest of the headliner can be snapped into place.

It's great to have not only quality parts, but quality service for the parts, as I've been getting from AutoTops.

I have absolutely no affiliation with AutoTop -- matter of fact, I bought their top from eBay and never knew who they were until our local installer screwed up and blamed the manufacturer. (This is a dark blue Hartz cloth top, with glass window and heater element - $499; very high quality, good looking, and nice fitting.)

Next step is to actually try to install the headliner this weekend. Will post my progress for those of you with 996 Cabs who get into my predicament in the future.

• Upvote 1

• 6 years later...
On 9/2/2012 at 12:54 PM, stasha said:

Wife and I ended up installing the headliner yesterday with minimal problems. No need to remove the top to do it (contrary to what our local top installer said). After doing this one, we probably could do it again in 30 minutes.

Stasha, I need to drop my headliner in my cabrio so I can repair a tiny hole in my soft top.  Can you give me some direction on the best way to access the middle of the top underside?  I don't need to remove the whole thing.

Thanks!

Hunter