Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hi guys,

Newbie to the forum here.

I have a 2002 996 C2 Cab new to me and been enjoying it since I got it 2 years ago. Mostly trouble free until two weeks ago when the cab top started to acting up and then quit all together. I had to do the emergency manual procedure, after checking all the obvious stuff (i.e. fuses, relays, micro-switches all tested and works). I started taking the mechanism apart, checked, cleaned and lubed everything, put it back together, run the calibration (Durametric), things start to work again wonderfully (or so I thought). The clam-shell lid started to hesitating and eventually got stuck halfway. I had to do the manual emergency operation again.

Durametric gave a timeout error, the problem seems to be the clam-shell lid. Removed the motor and turned the mechanism manually it moves smoothly. Removed the lid motor by connecting it directly to the AC battery it's humming but the gear seems to turn hesitantly. So I took the motor apart and I found out that the plastic gear got chewed on one area (see attached pictures) where the worm gear rotating. I tried to rebuild the gear teeth by using JB Weld (and all kinds of epoxies brands and types), it's always working for a while and then same thing at the same area got chewed again. I guess it's not strong enough to hold the metal turning screw.

My question now is, do I need to bite the bullet and get a new motor or do you guys have any recommendation if I can get this gear fix or custom made obviously within reasonable price (scratch that I just check with a CNC machine company it will cost roughly $300-$400). The price of a new motor is around 600 dollars at Sunset Porsche, a used one at eBay maybe around 300 - 400 dollars with the whole mechanism (which I don't need).

Any suggestion is appreciate it.

-Andre

IMG_20180421_145508.jpg

IMG_20180421_163417.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, hope you already found the replacement part; however, if you kept the gear, please take some measurements, inner and outer diameters, bearing size, number of teeth on gear etc.

These are--more often than not--standard parts that OEM manufactures source out of a catalogue. I'd be happy tp do a bit of research, and report back; might be helpful for the next person that runs into this.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Rabit & Wizard for responding. No I haven't found any replacement part yet. It is summer here (I live in Northern California) so I have the top open all the time currently. I'm still searching before giving up and bite the bullet (getting a new motor). I even got another cheap motor from Audi (Bosch made) from EBay and open the housing since they look similar, hoping that the gear is the same (but no luck there).

I'm currently out of town but when I'm back, I'll check and measure the gear (yeah I still got it) and hopefully  qtcgears  will have something similar.

On side note, I didn't realize that there are response on my initial posting until today when I open the renntech.org forum. For whatever weird reason the notification email from renntech.org were automatically filtered by gmail and went to the "Promotions" (which I hardly open) instead of directly to inbox.

-Andre

Edited by Andre Kristian
spelling

• 8 months later...
On 6/23/2018 at 11:21 PM, Andre Kristian said:

Thanks Rabit & Wizard for responding. No I haven't found any replacement part yet. It is summer here (I live in Northern California) so I have the top open all the time currently. I'm still searching before giving up and bite the bullet (getting a new motor). I even got another cheap motor from Audi (Bosch made) from EBay and open the housing since they look similar, hoping that the gear is the same (but no luck there).

I'm currently out of town but when I'm back, I'll check and measure the gear (yeah I still got it) and hopefully  qtcgears  will have something similar.

On side note, I didn't realize that there are response on my initial posting until today when I open the renntech.org forum. For whatever weird reason the notification email from renntech.org were automatically filtered by gmail and went to the "Promotions" (which I hardly open) instead of directly to inbox.

-Andre

Andre so you are also in Northern California and know your way around convertible tops?

Man I could use your help, I have a 2000 convertible 996 and I can’t get my clamshell to open via button on dash or key in door. I could come to you if you are free on the weekend?