Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Diagram or Info on routing the throttle cable?

Hello, I'm looking for a Diagram or Info on routing the throttle cable?

Recently had the engine out and upon reinstalling I'm finding the tab where the rear cable section (to engine) connects to the front cable section (to cockpit) doesn't have quite enough slack. If I reassemble correctly it keeps the throttle plate cracked open resulting in a 3000 RPM Idle! LOL

I have the Porsche factory PDFs that are floating around but have yet to see the cable routing & adjusting info. Currently I have the cable routed up over the manifolds and down the back next to the trans. Technically its laying on top of both resonance pipes and then drops down the back.

Thanks in advance if you can help.

- Bill

• Admin

The bottom cable in the diagram shows the throttle cable pieces and connections. Very little to adjust as I recall. Ignore the cable at the top of the pedal as it is for egas cars and goes to the pedal sensor.

post-1-0-81242700-1375827007_thumb.png

Also, did you proper align the connector for the two cable parts?

post-1-0-64107100-1375827330_thumb.png post-1-0-68229200-1375827336.png

Thanks Loren, I was wondering why there was a TPS on the pedal in my car which has a cable throttle. You would think Porsche would have had a non-egas pedal designed for the early Boxster and 996.

Regarding the cable routing, I was more looking for info on how it lays over the top and back of the engine and down past the gearbox.

But no worries, I finally figured it out tonight. It is VERY specific about where it is routed or it gets too short. You have to fish it though the coil on the clutch slave line or else it bends too far to the side and takes up too much slack. Then clip it into the plastic clip that is bolted to the top two bolts of the diff housing cover. After that its a straight shot to the front section you have pictured above.

• 5 years later...

I am having the same 3000rpm idle after having dropped the engine.

The info that the throttle cable is routed through the coil is very helpful, thanks for that.

I can add that the 3 clips in the picture above are located here:

-clip closest to the throttle body is clipped onto one of the fuel hoses crossing the banks at the back of the engine near the firewall, circled in blue in the attached picture

-the middle one is clipped onto the brake pipe crossing left to right above the clutch slave cylinder

-the first one (nearest to the rotary sleeve) is clipped onto the handbrake cable guide tube

2019-05-11 22.35.16.jpg

2019-05-11 22.57.52.jpg

Edited by hardtailer
picture added of middle clip