Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Boxster-mates,
I did end up with a decent size oil leak, this morning.
At the shop, when inspected underneath, it does seem to come from near where the transmission connects the motor.
Per my mechanic, there were no metal pieces in the filter when the oil was changed at 130K miles - and it may be unlikely that the IMS may be going bad by the current mileage of 134.5K.
While I don't experience slippage when shifting, does it make sense to bite the bullet and get the clutch, upgraded IMS, RMS and all of the required components replaced at this point.
My mechanic recommended that I drive it for another 3k miles and see how the oil spill continues before scheduling for the replacements along with the oil change. Would I be risking the motor in any way by doing so?
Also how much should the total cost come to, if done at an Indy shop?

Thanks for your thoughts,
V

Edited by shyster77

The main thing is that you risk damaging your flywheel. It's an expensive part. Mine no longer had the free play in it. When oil contaminates the dual mass flywheel, severely enough, you'll be unable to shift. Depending on the traffic conditions at the moment it happens, it could get spooky. If it has never been replaced, 100k is a good time to replace a flywheel and a pressure plate along with the throw-out bearing.

Thanks for the quick response, zodman! This helps.

I presume that play loss may happen quickly?

The oil leak literally showed up today.

My mechanic quoted me with a new flywheel in the replacement, so that's good to know to have that in too.

On a different note, the quote in your signature is deep! :thumbup:

It may take a while, but as to how far I would not presume to know...I was never patient getting to the center of a tootsie roll pop either as a youngun. The biggest factor would be how much it is leaking. There have been quite a few generations of the seal, and on mine it was a second generation.

Loved the 5th and Diner back in the day when I lived there in PHX. I used to live a block from there.

Thanks on the quote...other than sculpting and art, I dabble a bit with anagrams.

I've seen costs vary from 3k to 5k, but also includes the ims bearing. Mine was pretty close to 3k but I also replaced and updated a few other things as well...A few "surprise - I'll need to be replaced" surprises were found along the way. With the help of the board here, I did all the work myself with my stepson spotting me upon occasion.

Makes sense, zodman. That anagram is quite creative.

I was able to get under the car today to take a photo of where the leak may be possibly around, I know - I should have cleaned it up first but the shiny oil remnant is from last night's leak, - does this help pinpoint to a possible type of leak, IMS/RMS/something else?

I was quoted 2.7K for everything which doesn't seem pricey then.

While I'm ok with the replacement - the clutch just doesn't slip and it shifts like its on butter, so wondering if this may be something else.

Thanks,

V

post-62596-0-72508600-1389459593_thumb.j

Thanks for the thoughts, folks.

I've decided to have the work done and the car is in the shop for this.

I was half tempted to sell this, after having had it for almost 8 years, and pick up a 2005 911.

Though held back, since while the 997 felt more precise and noticeably quicker than my 986 S, A turbo down the road would be an apt upgrade.

Until then, more miles on my 986 S. :)

Edited by shyster77