Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Looking for a sound upgrade to my 996. I like a deeper, more guttural sound. Based on videos of each, it seems the Fabspeed is more to my liking. That doesn’t mean the Fister sounds bad—because it doesn’t—I think I just prefer the Fabspeed sound. But, in all honesty, it’s hard to tell from a video. I’ve never heard either in person.

I’m wondering who has experience with either one of these (or both) and looking for opinions/reasons why one might be better than the other. While they both produce great sounds, there’s a significant difference in price and benefits.

Fabspeed:

http://www.fabspeed.com/996-carrera-muffler-bypass-pipes/

Fister:

http://fdmotorsports.net/fister-exhaust-996/

That's a fairly apples to oranges comparison. There's obviously going to be a major difference with no muffler at all (fabspeed bypass pipes - deletes the muffler and is most likely crazy loud). I think this is a better/more direct comparison: http://www.fabspeed.com/996-carrera-maxflo-performance-exhaust-system/  As you can see, the price difference is huge... I can speak for the Maxflo's as I've got them on my car (I didn't purchase though - They were on it when I bought). They sound great and save a little weight - the power increase is highly debatable and without the rest of a complete system and possibly a tune shouldn't really be a factor.  

Edited by dporto

1 hour ago, dporto said:

That's a fairly apples to oranges comparison. There's obviously going to be a major difference with no muffler at all (fabspeed bypass pipes - deletes the muffler and is most likely crazy loud). I think this is a better/more direct comparison: http://www.fabspeed.com/996-carrera-maxflo-performance-exhaust-system/  As you can see, the price difference is huge... I can speak for the Maxflo's as I've got them on my car (I didn't purchase though - They were on it when I bought). They sound great and save a little weight - the power increase is highly debatable and without the rest of a complete system and possibly a tune shouldn't really be a factor.  

That's good to know! I am looking just to get the sound a bit deeper and louder, not crazy! I've heard a few others recommend the Maxflow system as well, and it sounds like that might be the better option. But, wow, yeah—that price! Well, it's not something I was looking to do immediately. Thank you!!

I had Tubi and Mille Miglia.  I currently run the Mille Miglias and am very happy.

Both offer a different sound in addition to Fabspeed and Fister.

For me, the Tubi's were higher pitched and had the Italian "crackle".  The Mille Miglia's were lower in pitch, with more "growl".  Sort of comparing a Ferrari to a Corvette.

The Mille Miglia's are louder than Tubi, but not bypass loud.  

The Fister's sound good, sort of a subdued blend of straight pipe crackle and lower volume aftermarket, until you get on it.

They are all good.  Like dporto said:  "apples to oranges."  Just depends on what you want.

Another option is to have your stock ones modified.  Have the Fister done, and then have the internal baffles reworked.  The inside is a maze that would drive a mouse crazy!

Also look into M&M, FVD sells them.  Some very cool exhausts.

But, since your original question was to Fabspeed or Fister, for a deeper sound, why not try the Fister and the other "Gundo" where it bypasses from the top capped area of the stock muffler, sort of "double."  Don't get me wrong, Fabspeed makes a great product, what about the Supercuts?

Best of luck,

Paul

This is the M&M from FVD, which has no side mufflers, basically an X pipe with cats and mufflers, or quad mufflers for the cat delete.  

Edited by rsq911