Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

What's your mileage?

1999 C4 - 92,000 MILES. Bought it last summer with 81k on it. Daily driver. Replaced starter, air/electric change over valves, water pump, coolant take and fuel filter. Really no major issues. Most everything is DIY so far. Planning on and hoping for a long life on engine before i get it replaced with new motor or TT!!

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1999 C4 - 92,000 MILES. Bought it last summer with 81k on it. Daily driver. Replaced starter, air/electric change over valves, water pump, coolant take and fuel filter. Really no major issues. Most everything is DIY so far. Planning on and hoping for a long life on engine before i get it replaced with new motor or TT!!

1999 C4 convertible 58000 daily driver. Replaced coolant tank so far. Everything DIY

I would like to know what mileage everyone has on the 996. Also, if there has been problems with the car, please list it.

Thanks!

21 kmiles. Our 2003 996 C2 runs like new. Dealer replaced the RMS around 10k miles and we just did a minor service on it.

Never track and will take good care of it.

Edited by The Hoth

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! Great post!

Now, my car has 45.000 Kilometers, more or less about 28.000 miles.

I did two services for the moment. A full service when the car had around 3.000 miles and a minor service when it had around 15.000 miles.

I had one problem with the tiptronic gearbox because it had a oil leak and it was impossible to fix it. Then, it was replaced all the gearbox by the official dealer under warranty.

Regards,

JuanMa.

Edited by JuanMa

04 C2 36,000 miles

purchased as a CPO in 8/07 with 24,500 miles.

Service records show previous owner had all scheduled maintainance performed on time and new N spec tires installed at 20k miles. No records of any unscheduled repairs done by previous owner.

RMS, clutch, and battery replaced by dealer during CPO certification. Dealer said clutch was "okay" but decided to replace it while they were doing the RMS.

Engine is completely dry and uses no oil.

I had 30k mile service done with no issues

I had the starter interlock switch at the clutch pedal replaced and this is the only issue I have had.

Car needs a 4th gear synchro - very minor grind when shifting from 3rd to 4th at 5,000 rpm or higher, noticed it a few days after I picked it up and decided to "drive it" the way I used to drive my 68 911. Will be repaired under warranty and Porsche wants local dealer to re-build the trans rather than replace it. I am a little skeptical of a dealer re-build plus I hate to give up the car, so I have been waiting to schedule the repair. Until then I just watch how quickly I shift from 3rd to 4th and rarely receive a grind while shifting.

Will need front rotors and pads in a few thousand miles. The condition of the rotors, the dealers decision to install a new clutch at 24,200 miles and the 4th gear synchro problem does have me believing that the previous owner drove her pretty hard.

The car has PSE and M030 suspension. BiXenon's, power and heated seats, Bose upgraded stereo, carbon fiber shift knob and hand brake lever, aero rocker skirts, 18" Carrera 5 spoke wheels with color crests. I had an OEM short shifter dealer installed right after I bought it and I love it.

Car runs very strong and the only real problem is that I read Rennlist and Renntech way too much and start to imagine that my car has problems that it truly doesn't have. I finally realized I was driving the dealer crazy having them check this and check that and read this TSB and so on. Heck, the car is better than fine and if it breaks between now and Jan. 2010 I am covered with the CPO.

I drive it every day including during the winter regardless of the weather. I did buy a set of new winter tires and wheels, which I had on when I did a 2,600 mile roundtrip to South Florida back in January. Car was absolutley perfect during the entire trip. Was a pleasure at 140+ MPH as well as 75 MPH on cruise control. Very flexible ride.

01 C2, 72k miles. Bought it from a Porsche dealer 2 months ago when it was at 70k miles. Wasn't supposed to be a daily driver but love it so much I just have to drive it everyday :)

48K miles 2002 C4S or 8K miles a year, reman engine at 13K miles. Zero issues with the engine/tranny. Aftermarket warranty to 70K miles.

Hard to pick the Jeep Cherokee over the 911 when heading out. :D

I would like to know what mileage everyone has on the 996. Also, if there has been problems with the car, please list it.

Thanks!

I have a 2000 C4 Tiptronic 70,000 - Driven a couple times a week and local 200-300 mile trips - Looks like the engine needs to be replaced - oil in the coolant reservoir - reservoir also leaking. It has been a great car....now....it feels like a good friend has let me down. Dealer wants to replace the oil cooler but I am not buying it....I think its a cracked sleeve... Car still runs great...but its just a matter of time until the oil/water mixture fouls the radiators.

Thanks!

2000 Tip, ~64K miles, Daily driver

Problems - minor drip leak from valve covers, rear bumper could use some paint behind the rear wheels

aside from that, brilliant!

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I was making this list up anyway, so here's a complete rundown of all known maintenance.

The car currently has 94K miles and the driver's side window is starting to squeal, the ds seat warmer has quit, the load/eject mechanism of the CDR-220 has quit, and I've got an intermittent brake wear light. I'm going to have to do a coolant flush and replace some hoses soon, and a brake pad replacement isn't too far behind that.

All known maintenance for 1999 Porsche 996 Carrera Cabriolet

12-29-03

Mileage: 53,861

Symptoms: 45k service, Shorting coils due to tube seal leaks, bottom out left hose bad

Repaired by: Sports Car Repair

Service Performed:

Oil change

Replaced pollen filter

Replaced spark plug tubes

Replaced large O-rings

Replaced small O-rings

Replaced air filter

Replaced spark plugs

Replaced left rear bottom out radiator hose

Notes that slow leak in RR tire, clutch worn out

Total: $640.32

09-08-04

Mileage: 59,538

Symptoms: CEL 1125, 1123

Repaired by: P.S. Foreign Car Care

Service Performed:

Replaced Mass Air Sensor

Replaced coolant temp sensor

Total: $647.80

01-04-05

Mileage: Uknown

Symptoms: Oil seepage, alignment

Repaired by: P.S. Foreign Car Care

Service Performed:

Replaced head cover

Replaced front cover seal

Replaced rear plug

Replaced upper tube seal

Replaced lower tube seal

Replaced exhaust bolt

Replaced Manifold gasket

Replaced rear main seal

Four wheel alignment

Total: $938.59

10-06-05

Mileage: 65,317

Symptoms: Ignition switch sticks, oil leak, door pocket lid broken

Repaired by: Momentum Porsche, Houston

Service Performed:

Premium Oil Change

Replace complete ign lock assembly

Brake system flush

Replaced cigarette lighter complete assembly

No oil leak found

Door pocket lid repair declined

Total: $1156.07

07-01-06

Mileage: 76,817

Symptoms: CEL, codes P1124, P1126

Repaired by: The Bug Clinic

Service Performed:

Replaced serpentine belt

Replaced air filter

Replaced fuel filter

Total: $554.47

07-21-06

Mileage: 77,809

Symptoms: CEL, codes P1124, P1126

Repaired by: The Bug Clinic

Service Performed:

Fuel Injection cleaning

Total: $105.97

09-20-07

Mileage: 82,000

Symptoms: Airbag light, CEL, slipping clutch

Service Performed:

Replaced seatbelt sensor

Replaced leaking motor mount

Replaced clutch

Reupholstered rear deck

Fixed driver's side door pocket lid

Replaced Exhaust gas recirculation valves

Total: $1200.00

01-10-08

Mileage: 88,000

Symptoms: Airbag light

Service Performed:

Replaced seatbelt sensor

Total: Warranty

02-24-08

Mileage: 89,112

Symptoms: Metal showing through tire tread

Repaired by: Firestone, Champion Forest

Service Performed:

Oil Change

Bridgestone Tires with Uni-T package

Lifetime alignment, wheel balance, tire protection plan

Brake system flush

Total: $1565.78

05-01-08

Mileage: 92,179

Symptoms: Won't hold idle, stalls

Service Performed:

Replaced Mass Airflow Sensor

Replaced Air Filter

Fuel System Cleaning

Total: $849.31

05-31-08

Mileage: 93,500

Symptoms: CEL, high idle

Service Performed:

Premium Oil Change

Replaced cracked Oil Filler Tube

Replaced Oil Pan & Plug

Replaced Battery

Total: $892.34

Thanks!

2000 Carrera 4 Cab

8900 miles

Problems:

ABS hydraulic pump broken - $2700 replacement

Rear right window regulator - $1032 replacement

Hopefully that is the last of the problems, sure seems expensive for a vehicle that hardly gets used

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Ok.....now reached 106,000 miles. According to two high-end Porsche tuning shops in Los Angeles, my 2002 C2's engine is extremely strong.

I do get annoying CEL from time to time (probably due to bad gas), but I use an OBDII to clear them out with no issues. I still can't get the pin back into the driver's side door glove box, but beyond that and the infrequent CEL, the car has been amazingly reliable and fun to drive.

99 c2 tip: 68,500. Only real problem was a busted tranny...HOWEVER...I believe it busted due to a mechanic failing to use the recommended fill procedure when I had the tranny service, which resulted in my driving the car for several months with a low fluid condition...toasted the transmission. Other than that, my car has been pretty trouble free (I have much of the service history for the car, and from what I can tell it has only been o2 and maf sensors (2 MAF's...one as a result of my K & N air intake experiment), and a busted coolant tank (very common in Arizona...$200.00 diy). Other stuff is just wear and tear...just replaced the rotors last week...I believe they were original.

I have what looks to be a leak from the coolant tank area. Any suggestions as to the best way to DIY?

• Admin
99 c2 tip: 68,500. Only real problem was a busted tranny...HOWEVER...I believe it busted due to a mechanic failing to use the recommended fill procedure when I had the tranny service, which resulted in my driving the car for several months with a low fluid condition...toasted the transmission. Other than that, my car has been pretty trouble free (I have much of the service history for the car, and from what I can tell it has only been o2 and maf sensors (2 MAF's...one as a result of my K & N air intake experiment), and a busted coolant tank (very common in Arizona...$200.00 diy). Other stuff is just wear and tear...just replaced the rotors last week...I believe they were original.

I have what looks to be a leak from the coolant tank area. Any suggestions as to the best way to DIY?

Replacing the Coolant Reservoir

• 3 months later...