Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Items falling in seat cracks

I'm so frustrated with coins, keys, and other small items falling in to the crack between the seat and the center console! Once something falls in there, it's next to impossible to fit your hand in there to retrieve it. And once the item falls under the seat rail, you're out of luck on even trying to see the item you're going after.

Aside from removing the seat, are there any easier ways to try and get the stuff out? If not, how is the seat held on to the body? Any obstacles I need to watch out for after taking out the 4 main bolts?

Don't carry change around. Charge everything with a credit card.

Why aren't the keys in the ignition? Leave extra keys at home. Lots of extra keys on a key-ring is noisey and not good for the car's ignition either (weight & vibrations).

Don't use your pockets. Give all personal items to girlfriend/wife and let her put them in her purse. If girlfriend/wife is not available, use door storage areas for keys, coins, Colibri lighter, cigars, etc... :)

I am just kidding you of course! I often say a few choice words when I drop something under my seat but no quick fixes that I know of.

Edited by peckel

Don't you just HATE the sound of change falling there out of your pocket when you hit the gas hard???? My BMW was even worse for that!! Drives me crazy knowing that change is stuck down there. Here's what I do: Move the seat all the way forward and up. Take a shirt dry cleaning hanger and cut it and bend it so you have small hook at the end. I find I can push most anything down under the rails with the wire and then hook it from underneath to get it out. In the 996, luckily the rails are thin, so anything that falls in the rails is easy to flip out. Dimes are the worst. I actually make an effort to always use any dimes I get all the time...a habit from my Z3 where they were impossible to get out w/o taking the seat out.

Don't you just HATE the sound of change falling there out of your pocket when you hit the gas hard???? My BMW was even worse for that!! Drives me crazy knowing that change is stuck down there. Here's what I do: Move the seat all the way forward and up. Take a shirt dry cleaning hanger and cut it and bend it so you have small hook at the end. I find I can push most anything down under the rails with the wire and then hook it from underneath to get it out. In the 996, luckily the rails are thin, so anything that falls in the rails is easy to flip out. Dimes are the worst. I actually make an effort to always use any dimes I get all the time...a habit from my Z3 where they were impossible to get out w/o taking the seat out.

So much easier to leave the change at home...or in the tip jar...or donation/charity jar! :)

So much easier to leave the change at home...or in the tip jar...or donation/charity jar! :)

Prevention is always the best method, of course, but then the best way to never get a ticket is to never speed, ....but we do....the best way to retire early is to live frugally and save...but we buy Porsches...sometimes it just CAN'T be helped!!! :D