Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Coolant Hose leak...

Hi Everyone,

I just discovered a coolant leak from my 1999 C4. It is a small leak and a couple of drops appear overnight. I tried to stop it with a worm clamp but it has not stop the drip. Can someone tell me the part number that is the below hose? Is it just a simple removal of the clamps and attaching it back on? As always, thanks for the help.

post-16445-1263857644_thumb.jpg

post-16445-1263857713_thumb.jpg

post-16445-1263857743_thumb.jpg

the water pump is definately leaking, you can see an orange coolant crust trail from the lower bolt up toward the shaft. but the hose does appear to be leaking as well, there looks like a tear between the two clamps, but doesnt look to be leaking there, but seeping past the clamped connection to the water pump, you probably do need to replace the hose which seems worn out and will probably not seal well to the new waterpump, which is really better left to a pro.

Hi There,

I have attached 2 images for you. One is from the PET Porsche Parts Catalog and one from a Porsche parts website.

Please look at the diagrams and also go to the the link provided below where you can look up your parts and purchase online. They usually have really good prices and ship quickly.

You will need to include your VIN and they can ensure you get the right part.

Porsche Parts

Good Luck

DC

post-7561-1263866187_thumb.png

post-7561-1263866199_thumb.png

Edited by therock88

Your water pump is busted. The hose is a three way filler hose to the expansion tank to the return line to the water pump. $43 for the hose and $220 for the pump.

The hoses are on back order. only 5 in the US and they are all in the Collection Porsche in miami. I just did this this past weekend. I will get you the part number. Those hose are notorious for cracking the plastic splitter they have.

Hose: 996-106-850-00

Water pump: 996-106-011-55

Gasket: 996-106-340-54

And since you are there, replace the cap of the expansion tank with the latest version: 996-106-447-04

I hope this helps!

joel pirela

Thanks Joel, I sent a note to Sunset to see if they have the hose. I searched NAPA and they have the water pump for 157.00. I have already replaced the cap of the expansion tank, so I dont need a new one.

Did you replace it yourself? How hard was it? I went to the DIY section and saw the video. Did you have any troubles?

On a side note, my car squeaks whenever it is wet (after a car wash or heavy rain). Could the water pump be the cause of this also?

squeaks probably means a worn belt. get one, $23. I called Suncoast (same company as Sunset) and they had the hose on back order from germany (8 weeks wait) but Aaron pulled the info and to my luck, my local dealer had 5 in stock!

I wanted to do the work myself but my local indy made an offer I couldn't refuse: $175 labor.

Wow 175.00 that is a great deal, I called my Indy and they will charge 465.00 without parts.

my 2000 c4 hasd a slight weep from the hose just behind the one in the photo. There must be a quite a few 996 with "old" coolant hoses on now... Does anyone sell and kit of hoses? After 10 years I think they could do with replacement

jetbox

The problem with coolant loss is that since the system is pressurized, they can turn from dripping to gushing in no time. and coolant loss could be catastrophic. If you know is there, take care of it.

yes, my mechanic was a porsche master technician and lives 3 miles from my house. very convenient

Changing all the hoses out was one of the very first things I did when I bought my 99 a couple years ago. Here's my thread on that.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...l=radiator+hose

Be wary of the NAPA rebuilt water pumps. I bought one last spring and it lasted exactly 6 months before it died. I think I'm at 3 or 4 months with the second one, which was replaced under warranty, but it still cost me a Saturday to swap it out.

JeTexas,

Great post on the changing of the coolant lines. I went to the local Porsche Dealer and got Hose: 996-106-850-00. From comparing what I see in the car, it looks like it fits. I wont know until I start taking things off and really comparing.

This maybe a stupid question, but did you drain your coolant out with the drain plug before you start work on the hoses? Also, from my picture above, do you think I should use a skinnier hose clamp? Would it stop my drip?

I ordered a new one from NAPA and not the rebuilt one. Hopefully the new ones will hold up longer than 6 months....

Yes, I'd go peruse the parts store to find the thinnest hose clamp possible. That would probably solve your drip.

I tried to open my coolant drain plug once, and it wasn't budging, so I usually end up draining it by pulling the hose off the thermostat housing. It usually ends up making a mess.

• Moderators
I tried to open my coolant drain plug once, and it wasn't budging, so I usually end up draining it by pulling the hose off the thermostat housing. It usually ends up making a mess.

Which is exactly why we put a dab of antiseize on the treads, along with a new washer, before we put them back in......

If you look closely at the picture you can see that he has both the original spring type clamp and a screw type hose clamp on the hose at the water pump. Remove the old spring clamp, you only need one clamp. Once the old clamp is removed the new screw type clamp will fit fine.

Thanks everyone, going to the parts store to look for a smaller clamp....

Porsche issued a TSB on the spring clamps a few years ago. I had a couple of hoses start to leak and replaced the spring clamps with the screw type clamps listed in the TSB. None of the clamps I replaced have leaked since and that has been several years ago (circa 2005). The Porsche clamps are not as wide as the ones you will find at your local parts store (only about 3/8" wide).

Just wanted to update everyone. I changed my water pump today, (getting that thing out and in is a pain in the butt!). Refilled the car with coolant and replace the clamp. Hopefully I wont see any more coolant on the floor in the morning. Thanks for everyone's help!

Just wanted to update everyone. I changed my water pump today, (getting that thing out and in is a pain in the butt!). Refilled the car with coolant and replace the clamp. Hopefully I wont see any more coolant on the floor in the morning. Thanks for everyone's help!

If you haven't already done so, make sure that you bleed the coolant system of any trapped air or you will get some overflow at the coolant tank.

Regards, Maurice.