Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Transmission Oil and Diff Oil - Change and Oil recommendation

No, they are simple except the tranny. They all have drain plugs on the bottom and fill plugs on the side. Front & Rear diffs take synthetic 75w/90 gear oil and the transfer case takes LT71141 spec ATF which is slightly different than the transmission ATF spec which is Mobil3309 I believe. Some of the premium Synthetic ATF's cover both specs, such as the Redline D4 I used. The Automatic tranny has a fairly standard ATF filter inside the pan but the fill procedure will require you to have a laptop with the Durametric program to fill to the proper level at a certain temperature.

Just a caution regarding the use of non approved fluids for automatic transmission changes.

The OEM fluid used in the Aisin transmission is mineral based and approved by Porsche, it will not void your transmission warranty.

Using an alternate synthetic fluid is unapproved, and will void the transmission warranty as stated by Porsche.

• 5 weeks later...

My 08 S started throwing an unknown code that neither Danbury Porsche nor an Oxford CT auth mechanic could solve. Both of their diagnoses included costly and attempted cam sensor replacements and when the latter recommended that I remove the engine to replace an inner engine filter for +/- $5000, I knew it was time to find another mechanic. I took the car into SpeedSport Tuning in danbury. They recommended that I switch the oil to Total 5W40 E9000. Neither of my previous garages would even discuss another oil, even at my initiation. Not only did they adamantly oppose any other motor oil, they wouldn't allow mw to change the tranny or diff fluid earlier than recommended either.

The switch to Total caused an immediate improvement to both performance and economy. They recommended an additional change after 2k and now I'm changing the oil every 6k. The early tranny and diff change was also a good idea. I highly recommend both. I'm almost at the 100k mark and can honestly say that the car has never run better.

I was speaking with a knowledgeable euro mech afterwards and after several beverages of our choice the subject of synthetic oil came up. Whether his story is true or a conspiracy theory, it's worth noting here. He told me that all new Porsche are shipped with Total synthetics and that the sticker and continued Mobil recommendation is based on a pre-existing endorsement contract. He went on to state that the quality of MobilOne in particular has declined over the years. I'm just passing the info along. The switch worked miracles for me and I wish I had done it before the costly and ineffective repairs.

• 2 weeks later...

My 08 S started throwing an unknown code that neither Danbury Porsche nor an Oxford CT auth mechanic could solve. Both of their diagnoses included costly and attempted cam sensor replacements and when the latter recommended that I remove the engine to replace an inner engine filter for +/- $5000, I knew it was time to find another mechanic. I took the car into SpeedSport Tuning in danbury. They recommended that I switch the oil to Total 5W40 E9000. Neither of my previous garages would even discuss another oil, even at my initiation. Not only did they adamantly oppose any other motor oil, they wouldn't allow mw to change the tranny or diff fluid earlier than recommended either.

The switch to Total caused an immediate improvement to both performance and economy. They recommended an additional change after 2k and now I'm changing the oil every 6k. The early tranny and diff change was also a good idea. I highly recommend both. I'm almost at the 100k mark and can honestly say that the car has never run better.

I was speaking with a knowledgeable euro mech afterwards and after several beverages of our choice the subject of synthetic oil came up. Whether his story is true or a conspiracy theory, it's worth noting here. He told me that all new Porsche are shipped with Total synthetics and that the sticker and continued Mobil recommendation is based on a pre-existing endorsement contract. He went on to state that the quality of MobilOne in particular has declined over the years. I'm just passing the info along. The switch worked miracles for me and I wish I had done it before the costly and ineffective repairs.

No offense, but this has nothing to do with Transmission or differential fluids.....it also sounds like you were sold a bill of goods....you do realize switching from 0w-40, to 5w-40 doesn't change the warm temperature viscosity.....also i'm not sure how a dealership can pull an "unkown" code....

As for M1 0w-40....i don't necesarily buy the "declined quality".....i have performed oil samples for years now on the same M1 fluid, and the VOA have always showed the same specs.....M1 0w-40 is actually very high in detergents as well.

I have always run 0w-40 in not just the porsche, but my race motors as well....

No offense, but this has nothing to do with Transmission or differential fluids.....it also sounds like you were sold a bill of goods....you do realize switching from 0w-40, to 5w-40 doesn't change the warm temperature viscosity.....also i'm not sure how a dealership can pull an "unkown" code....

As for M1 0w-40....i don't necesarily buy the "declined quality".....i have performed oil samples for years now on the same M1 fluid, and the VOA have always showed the same specs.....M1 0w-40 is actually very high in detergents as well.

I have always run 0w-40 in not just the porsche, but my race motors as well....

Clark- Here is how a dealer can pull an unknown code

Glad you are an oil/fluid expert and happy with M1. The switch worked for me and maybe someone else will benefit from the info.

You are awesome.

• 1 month later...

I did the front diff and rear diff fluid change. Also, just added the Transfer Case fluid change DIY as well.Posted DIY for Cayenne if you are interested - Front Diff. DIY, Rear Diff. DIY, Transfer Case Fluid change DIY.Hope this helps others, especially the new to Cayenne people.Thanks.

Edited by ciaka
  • Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

HiI'm in the process of replacing my valve body and need to get some fluid.The Mobil Australia fluid selector shows either Mobil ATF 3309 or Mobil synthetic ATF.Any thoughts on using the synthetic? As there will still be a small amount of residual "old" ATF in there.Otherwise I'll go the Toyota t-IV fluid perhaps as the Mobil is special order only in Perth....ThankDS

---Edit---

Just spoke to the Mobil distributor here in Perth, they only bring in 3309 in 20 litre lots.

The reason he told me was that they sell that exact fluid to Toyota who re-sell it in 1 litre lots as their type IV fluid.

There is an exclusive arrangement between Mobil and Toyota here so that only Toyota can sell that fluid in 1 litre lots.

So there you go.....

--Edit#2---

Just for a laugh for all you readers, just priced 1 litre of trans fluid from local dealer AUD$63.60 and that is "trade" price. (1AUD is roughly 1 USD at the moment!)

Edited by darrinsmith

is that $63 for the porsche specific brand or for the Type IV 'Yota fluid? I believe the Porsche price, rediculous.

A lot of people have switched to full synthetic like redline and have had zero issues. I wasn't 100% sure, and so i decided to find the fluid that was originally recommended, which was non synthetic.

As you have seen, Type IV is chemically identical to the Porsche fluid.

If you need me to buy and ship some ATF to you, let me know....i have a Toyota dealership down the road that does $6 a quart for type IV.

• 3 weeks later...

We recommend changing the trans fluid every 30k miles. If left for too long, small ferrous particles begin to cling to the solenoid bushing walls. This hangs up the solenoids when the oil gets hot and causes banging shifts and worn out solenoid modulator valves.

• 1 month later...
  • Admin

Hy guys!

Loren pleas can I have the same doc please, as ´´ALEV8´´ and ´´sydneyca´´?

Thank you!

Did you try looking in the DIY Tutorials area?

http://www.renntech.org/forums/tutorials/article/310-v8-automatic-transmission-fluid-and-filter-change/

http://www.renntech.org/forums/tutorials/article/292-cayenne-rear-differential-fluid-change/

Thank you for the help!

Because I´m new in in this ´´business´´, I didn´t realize what DIY means, so I did´t pay attention....

Now I do know what it means, and I´m still catching up, learning...

Thanks again!

Take care!

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys

I saw the (great) DIY write up on this forum about the diff oil change - http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/44107-2003-2006-cayenne-repair-manuals/

I'm going do have a crack at this myself (seems simple enough).

HOWEVER, it that guide the chap uses Mobil 1 75w/90 gear oil.

Now, in the UK it seems to be a bit different??

I ordered Mobil 1 75w/90 gear oil (called Mobilube 1 SHC in the UK it seems - the only 75w/90 gear oil available by Mobil 1 here) - and have now confused the hell out of myself by reading the label - and need help to confirm this oil is right for the job.

On the rear of the packet it says:

"Fully sythentic supreme performance gear oil - for use in commecial vehicle and passenger car manual transmissions, transfer cases and drive axles operating under a very wide range of tempurature conditions and requiring either API GL-5 or GL-4 performance."

Is this ok for the diffs? it does not mention diffs in the description at all, but there again gear oil probably wouldn't?

Full details on this oi from Mobil 1 UK site:

http://www.mobil.co.uk/UK-English-LCW/heavydutyoils_products_rear-axle_mobilube-1-shc-75w90.aspx#

Remember guys - this is to go into the DIFFS (not transmission or transfer case).

HELP PLEASE!!!

Does anyone know if you can use Redline 75W90 GL-5 Gear Oil (fully synthetic) for the front and rear diffs?

Any thoughts on Nulon (Aus brand) http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Gear_and_Differential_Oils/Full_Synthetic_75W-90_Performance_Smooth_Shift_Manual_Gearbox_and_Transaxle_Oil/#.UZ2Rrb6Q-Uk

Mobil 1 is not available to end consumers in Australia due to licensing deals Mobil has made with manufacturers.

Thanks

DS

Edited by darrinsmith

Yea, you want the GL5 or GL6 for your Differentials. And to darrinsmith, I'm using Redline 75w/90 in my front & rear Diffs and Redline D4 ATF in the transfer case & tranny. Shifts great. OEM diff fluid looked fairly worn after only 55K miles.

Edited by hahnmgh63