Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Shuddering/shaking when making a turn

Started noticing that the steering wheel makes a slight shuddering/shaking when making a hard turn from a cold start. Has done this a few times, so it wasn't just the road surface. My first thought is that the power steering is low. Then my immediate second thought was "F" that's going to be expensive to fix if there is a leak.

Anyone else have any ideas as to what might be causing this?

This could be a number of things, you don't say what kind of suspension you have. If you have Sensotronic steering this can give feedback through the wheel sometimes, Alignment being off can also cause strange things. Grippy aggressive tired treads can also feel like that when cold.

I occaisonally get the same thing and I think their is a TSB out on this or it may only be for the Turbo S and Powerkit cars. Mine is a '06 Turbo S and I will try to look up the TSB but as mentioned, post the type & year of your Cayenne, it helps a lot with diagnosis.

Loren - I think the TSB you mentioned relates to tire balance and shaking when driving at speed (It refers to 70MPH..)..

The symptom I have is a shudder in the wheel when the truck is stationary and I turn the wheel quickly toward either lock position. It appears to be a somewhat common thing, I've seen it reported on several forums by owners of many 955 vehicles. I asked on another forum if the people feeling it have Servotronic or not - wondering if it's related to the Servotronic steering system (at high boost when stopped.)

I do agree that it might be caused by grippy worn tires, mine are nearing the end of life (about 1/8" to the wear marks in front) and they are the 275/40/19's..

BTW - I found the TSB referring to turbo vehicles. Sounds like a different problem since the cure includes replacing the Servotronic steering gear and control module.. it's "shaking in the steering wheel" TSB 4890, dated 4/05. It refers to specific VIN#'s all manufacturered prior to 03/05 (from memory..)

Edited by deilenberger

I have an 06 CS with the normal suspension (no airlift). As far as Sensotronic, i'm not sure as I have not seen this as a feature when I decoded my vin number. I have Toyo Proxes ST 275/40R20 tires, basic street performance tires. The alignment is correct and the tires are balanced. The tires also have around 65% life as calculated with the tire depth gauge I have.

Basically the same symptoms as deilenberger except with more tire tread life.

I've had my 05 CTT for 10 months and it has done the same thing at every cold start since I bought it through new tyres and old. The symptom has neither gotten worse or manifested itself at any other time, I figured it was a peculiarity of cold hydraulic fluid and the PS pump/ servo.