Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Problem shifting into 2nd smoothly

Hi All,

I've had my 01 996 C4 for maybe 4 months now, maybe this was happening before but I've only really noticed it now. Firstly, my clutch pedal creaks when I depress it. I did a search and I found people had to either replace the spring or the pressure accumulator. But also, I'm finding it really hard to shift into 2nd gear smoothly. In high or low revs from 1st, if I engage quickly into 2nd, there's a bit of a "bump". Not quite a bronco type feeling, but something of that sort. The only way I can go smoothly into 2nd, is if i release the clutch slower. I can tell that burns the clutch a bit but engaging quickly feels like its hurting the car more.

Is the Clutch pedal problem related to this? or Do I need to learn how to drive a P-car properly? lol, I've driven standard japanese cars my whole life before this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Having driven Japanese cars for the last 15 years, I can say the GETRAG gearboxes are infinitely smoother in comparison. None of my prior Japanese gearboxes ever felt as solid. There is a second gear issue reported by some. Here is a link that talks about this issue: http://www.gboxweb.com/detent.html

I don't think it is a pedal issue since you are experiencing problems in second gear.

The GBox site refers to a "2nd gear pop out issue". Is this the shifter actually coming out of 2nd gear and staying in neutral until you manually put the shifter back in place? or does it feel like the gear is temporaily slipping and then re-engaged on its own? I think I have the same symptoms as Number9 - just wanted to double check I have the right fix for the problem.

Yes, the shifter comes out of second gear on its own and in some cases damage to second gear. I test drove an extra nice 996 aerokit that had the problem and although it was driveable, it was difficult to engage 2nd without a crunch. You really had to pull on the shifter with some force to get it to engage. I walked away after finding out that it was $4-10k for a tranny. Apparently the gears are pressed on together with a set of shims using something like an 80-ton press which can be slightly off. Not sure why second gear is more likely a problem It is not a job for you corner transmission shop.

I installed the detent on my car after I tested a couple of other 996's. They felt firm but noticed I could get my shifter to pop out of 2nd with a very light nudge (engine off of course). With the new detent, the gear holds firmly just like all the rest. Maybe just me, but I think it is cheap insurance like all the other 'pre-failure directives.'

• 1 year later...