Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Durametric - Error 11 - Hall sensor height adj. Short circuit at front

2002 C4S

Got my Durametric yesterday and have been playing around. Looks like no new faults after clearing some related to an alternator issue recently fixed except the following one which I was wondering about:

11 - Hall sensor height adj. Short circuit at front (see attached pic)

Can anyone give me more detail about this? Is this referring to the driver or passenger seat? I don't know if it's related but my passenger seat had a broken cable that attached from the motor to the seat for the up/down seat adjustment a few months ago that I fixed myself. As far as I can tell, all works now that the cable has been replaced (it was missing when I got the car). Doesn't appear to be a short circuit...at least if there is one it doesn't appear to be causing any adverse side effects. I tried to clear the fault but it instantly comes back again.

This leads me to my second questions which is: What is the source of finding more detailed information on these errors? I looked at the PDF manual that came with the Durametric and I don't see a database of error codes.

I've got about 30 minutes experience with the Durametric so maybe I'm missing something or doing something stupid. Any input would be greatly apprecaited.

Thanks!

post-72654-0-27874000-1343175606_thumb.j

Edited by ferrugia

• Admin

Fault 11 No automatic adjustment possible, manual only 500 ms

Hall-effect sensor backrest adjustment, short circuit

This fault is stored in the following cases:

1. There is a short circuit in the wires to the Hall-effect sensor.

2. The Hall-effect sensor is faulty.

3. The control module is faulty.

Elimination:

Disconnect plug from control module, check for continuity with ohmmeter on Pin 2 and Pin 3.

If a short circuit is found, check the sensor wires first.

If no fault is detected in the wire, replace the electric motor for backrest adjustment.

Once the cause of the fault has been found and eliminated, actuate the fore-and-aft adjustment switch. The text in the fault memory changes from present to not present if the cause of the fault has really been eliminated.

If the fault is still present, replace control module.

Thanks for the response, Loren. Really appreciate it, this is helpful. I had a few questions if you or anyone else can answer....

1. Is there a way to tell if the fault code is referring to the driver's side or passenger's side...or both? My understanding is that each seat is controlled separately, not centrally controlled. Please correct me if I'm wrong (very possible!).

2. Is the Hall-effect sensor part# 99660610602 ... It appears this is a Hall-effect sensor but used on the engine.. I'm guessing not the same? I was trying to figure out where this part is in the vehicle (under the seat I assume?) and what it looks like. I found the picture attached of the part# I mentioned (see 1st attachment). Is this it? It looks like the Hall-sensor is used in various areas of the vehicle so I'm not sure if it's the same.

3. Is the control module under the seat? Is it visible in this second picture I have attached (see 2nd attachment)? Are pin2 and pin3 labeled? I will test with my multimeter if so. I just want to be sure I know what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance!

post-72654-0-87388500-1343231732.jpg

post-72654-0-29966600-1343231905_thumb.j

Edited by ferrugia

• Admin

BTW... you did check the fuse first?

1. Correct - I do not know how to tell which seat except by testing them.

2. No that is the hall effect sensor for the engine (camshaft).

3. Yes, the large rectangular black box in your picture.

Sometimes the simple act of unplugging the power supply to these modules will cure odd faults and it cost nothing so give it a try. Unplug the control unit for a minute then connect again, clear any faults and operate the seat through all its functions. I've had this work a few times but I've also seen wiring harness routed incorrect from people working on the seat for whatever reason (usually airbag related) and the harness gets damaged.

Thanks for the input, guys. I'll check the basic stuff this weekend like fuses, power supply, and adapter connection, etc. Since it still works manually, and this is only related to the automatic adjustment with the seat memory, it's not bothering me too much. I just don't like to see any error codes... I will fix it if it doesn't require a new motor ($200) or control module ($$$$)

Thanks

• 1 month later...

To follow-up on this, the problem actually fixed itself without me doing anything (I wasn't really in a huge rush because it's hardly an issue, I just hate seeing any error codes at all).

When I discovered this error, it was actually because I had purchased a Durametric to help me track down another issue -- which turned out to be my alternator that needed to be replaced (the voltage regulator was shot and the core wasn't charging 100% at idle RPM). I hooked up the Durametric today to check the status after driving on the car for a solid month with no issues after the fact. Not sure exactly why this alternator issue would manifest itself in this specific seat memory error code being thrown but who knows, electrical issues can be weird. I had fully erased the error codes and it kept coming back, and I had also tried unplugging the battery to reset the system and those didn't seem to help, so I can only assume it may have been alternator-issue related since that's really the only thing that's changed.

At any rate, hope this info might be useful to someone else in the future.

Edited by ferrugia