Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I have an unusual buzzing noise coming from the instrument cluster area on my 2000 Carrera 4 with white dials. I know there is a TSB from Porsche but it seems like it is for the 997's. I can not tell if it is air related or from an electronic buzzer.

The buzzing noise occurs at about 75MPH and above. It is inconsistent, sometimes it will start at 75MPH and other times at 83 or 85 MPH. Based on the inconsistency and the sound, I am thinking it could be wind related, but how is wind making its way to the cluster? It sounds just like an electronic buzzer and I noticed something that looks like a buzzer on the back of the instrument cluster when I changed some bulbs a month ago. Could this be a speed related alarm?

It is very annoying and I don't know where to start; I appreciate any advice.

If this does not sound familiar to anyone, perhaps I can try and create a video of the problem and post it.

Thank you for the reply. I tested the wing and it is working properly. I set the speed alarm and it is a completely different sound.

This is a high-pitched wind noise that sounds like a kettle boiling water!

I have created a video while driving to show the sound and how it changes with speed. There is no consistency in the actual MPH, I think it is just the wind resistance.

http://youtu.be/R5xBC8cJ79A

Also, it seems like it is coming from the instrument cluster, but it could be somewhere nearby from the driver's side window area.

Try covering the windshield trim (outside) with masking or duct tape. Cover the windshield to trim joint around the driver side, so that the wind can't get under it, and go for a ride. If it is the trim vibrating this should change/quiet it until the tape gives up.

Edited by fpb111

Thank you again for the suggestions to try, but still no luck. The windshield was replaced by the previous owner and I checked the trim which is glued down very well. I tried taking it for a drive with the top down and used my hand to feel the windshield trim. The trim did not move, but it still made the same sound. I'm wondering if it could have something to do with the front vent in front of the wipers.

Also, I am missing most the undercarriage panels including the front left and right that sits close to the bumper. Could this be allowing air into the driver's side cabin area?

I appreciate the suggestions; I am totally lost where to continue.

• Moderators

Usually it is a flawed applied sealant between the windshield and the groove along the bottom side,about in the middle of the windshield, not between the trim and the windshield. There is no infiltration of rainwater, just only air noise.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone's help, I have finally been able to resolve this annoying problem!! :D

fpb111 (Post #4) was exactly right with the TSB he posted. It was actually coming from the windshield trim on the driver's side. I only tested the inner trim that faces the windshield before. The noise was coming from the outer trim that faces the painted surface of the A-pillar.

I was able to locate the exact location by using a compressed air hose and blowing it along the trim until I recognized the noise. I sealed it with a generic black sealing putty. No more noise!!