Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I dont want to buy Mich. Pilots for my car again

Porsche Tires on a budget list:

Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta... super cheap and work well.

Toyo R888 for super aggresive (RIP RA1)

Continental Extreme DWS for Y rated all season. They squirm a bit but take a set just fine and if they let go it's very predictable.

I would like to use Super Sports as they were highly recommended by a Micheline Test Engineer that was my instructor at Road Atlanta. They don't seem to produce the right size though as I can't find 295/30 18's. Does anyone know if they are producing 295/30 18's?

Looking at that size on tire rack I don't see the Pilot SS. I have those on my Carerra (but not long enough to have an opinion) and had them on my M3. They were good. The statement about them being cheaper that PS2 is correct. They're also supposed to be better. I believe the SS is branded PS3 in Europe...

+1 on the Hankook Ventus V12. I had them on a 2000 Boxster when I was playing around with trying off-brand tires for price and was really impressed. I tried the Sumitomo HTR ZIII prior to those and they just weren't very good. Were a little too squishy. Kumhos get good reviews for a low price point tire but they looked to be really bad for wet traction and I stayed away from that.

I'd give the Hankooks a shot. I would have put them on the M3 at the time but couldn't get the correct rear size. Search google for the Car & Driver tire test that included the V12. They were pretty high on them.

• 2 weeks later...

+1 n the Hankook Ventus V12s, too. For about 2 months, I had been running them at 33/36 instead of the recommended 36/44. They definitely felt squirelly at 33/26, but firmed right up at 36/44. In the latter case, it's a bit more bumpy over less than perfect roads, but the handling is more confident.

I've got a stock x50 suspension.

I'm running Falken 452, they are cheap but I'm not 100% impressed with them. I had them on my 350Z as well which seemed to be ok, but a lot less power than the TT.

I have heard really good results with the Hankook Ventus V12s as well, thinking these will be my next purchase.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I would like to use Super Sports as they were highly recommended by a Micheline Test Engineer that was my instructor at Road Atlanta. They don't seem to produce the right size though as I can't find 295/30 18's. Does anyone know if they are producing 295/30 18's?

305/30 or 315/30 will work.

Edited by XLR82XS

• 1 month later...

I am running Yokohama Neova fronts 235/35 R19 87W and rear 305/30 R19 102W these tires grip like glue best tires I have run, great for Track and Autocross and every day reasonable price for set, would not go back to Hankooks V12 or Continental both a little squirley..... These sizes will not tear up your differential running 650bhp at wheels........

Edited by richardcarrera911

• 5 months later...

Just took my 996 Turbo Cab in for a shudder that felt like balance. Rears were shot. I get under the car regularly and hadn't noticed but... So around 15K on the Hankooks/2 1/2 years on the tires. Michelin seems adamant (talked to a rep at Laguna Seca) about not making the supersport in 295-30-18 even though there are around 40K 996 Turbos, GT3s and C4Ss out there and that is only Porsche. Less than half the price of PS2s and about the same life? No brainer. Fronts are wearing great. 2 new V12 Evos, please. 215 bucks each at Discount Tire.

• 1 month later...

For spirited everyday driving on my C4, I've tried P Zero Asymmetrico, and about 5 sets of N rated Michelin PS2. On the last re-shoe about a year and a bit ago, I went with what was then a "new" Michelin Super Sport tyre. They've held up well and still some tread left. 20% cheaper and higher UTQG rating has meant better value for me. Roadholding seems comparable. I'll replace with the same without regret until something better comes along.

• 3 weeks later...

I am running Yokohama AD08 2012 tires on stock wheels at the moment, they can easy take all the power of a remapped 996tt with DV and 200 cell exhaust running 1.1bar. I found them to be excellent on the street and have fantastic wear and grip. It surely is a fast tire as the salesman suggested on tirerack.

I have run 5500km and there are still 80% or so tread left in them. The best thing I love about the AD08 is the stiff sidewall that gives direct steering response that matches my old Dunlop D03G R-compound that I had before the AD08. The D03G H1 compound has more ultimate grip but they do heat cycle out far too quickly. I would defo try AD08R the new 2013 compound with the same tread patt as the old.

Edited by niceguy

• 1 month later...

I had dunlop sportmaxx on mine and they were total garbage. they were totally bald in like 4k. Now have the Continental extreme contact and they are much better. Actually got the same set on my BMW suv and I have been pretty happy with them. Hope this helps.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Hankook V12, I get 5-6K miles on a set of rear and 14K on the front so far. I am not super aggressive but my driving style likes to have the rear end let loose at least once or twice every time I drive her. When I had stock vehicle, my Mich PS lasted me 15K miles. Last set with mods lasted 5K. It is all relative on how you drive.

• 1 month later...

+1 for the Hankook Ventus V12s,

I ve had them on my 996TT for about a month ZERO regrets, they were on sale at Tire rack (not affiliated)... PS were outrageous expensive obtw I ran stock 225 up from 285 rears..

CK

Edited by 997heaven

• 9 months later...

Late to the party on this one, but totally agree with the Yoko lovers. I put about 15000Km/yr on my 2004 TT/X50/Softronics map. I get 2 yrs and 8-10 spirited track days from a set. Pirelli's got me 6 months and 2 track days! I love the Advan's so much I also have them on my E46 M3.