Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Alright guys,

Trying to do a little troubleshooting without all my books, so hoping you smarty pants on the forum can help me out.

What sensors does the ECU look at during WOT?

I have some serious stumble/stutter under WOT when I have smooth operation under partial throttle.

Thanks in advance!

• Admin

On a MY99 Carrera (C2 only) your have the last throttle cable car.

The DME is looking at MAF for air flow, also the MAF for intake air temperature, and the throttle position sensor.

If your problem is only above 4000 RPM I would put my money on the MAF either being dirty or bad.

If you have access to Durametric or a Porsche PST2, (or PIWIS) tester you can also check the WOT percentage (as read by the throttle position sensor). 70-80% is NORMAL - it will never go to 100% (by design).

In a few rare cases I have seen a stretched accelerator cable (required replacing) and a sticky throttle butterfly.

Loren, I have a similar issue : some stumble on WOT, perfectly fluent under around 4000 rpm.

Checked the MAF (that's the one @ the airbox, right ?), cleaned it, looks ok. I removed it & test drove without MAF : nothing changes :(

If it's a bad MAF, how come that there's no stumble in lower rpm ?

• Admin

The MAF primarily works at higher RPMs where the air flow is critical in determining the proper mixture. It does much less under 4000 RPM and almost nothing at idle.

The fact that you see no difference with it unplugged leads me to think it is not functioning at all. In most cases like that you also get a CEL and fault code(s).

Thank you for your reply Loren !

So it might be not a bad idea for both of us to lend a MAF (since they're pretty expensive) to try if there would be any difference ?!

Btw : my MAF has a Mercedes logo on it, I'll check on the item number. Mine is a 1998 C2. Have it for 1 month now, I'll open a separate topic on it.

Greetings from Belgium, this forum has helped me IMMENSELY fixing small issues & doing maintenance :) !

Thanx Loren ; I checked my MAF, it's the right part number.

How can I test/know if it's broken or not ? To avoid buying an expensive new one and finding out afterwards that there was nothing wrong with the previous one ;)

I checked mine : it's 996 606 123 00 (and has a Mercedes logo on the connector connecting to it ;) )

Edited by bzguy

• Moderators

Durametric is provided by a German importer in Belgium which actually triple the US price + taxes. The result is that individuals do not buy because too expensive, you can at least 50 times to the dealer for a check, and you are still better off here. The dealer network (OPC) is also no problem, the maximum distance between costumer and dealer is merely 50 Km.

Durametric is provided by a German importer in Belgium which actually triple the US price + taxes. The result is that individuals do not buy because too expensive, you can at least 50 times to the dealer for a check, and you are still better off here. The dealer network (OPC) is also no problem, the maximum distance between costumer and dealer is merely 50 Km.

Durametric accepts orders directly and ships worldwide. You would still have to pay customs fees and, likely, a higher shipping and handling rate. But that would hopefully get you around the 300% markup that German importer charges.

Loren, and others-

If the MAF is not reading at all, as might be the case when unplugged=same performance, have you seen that not CEL-out? I think I am going to go try with mine unplugged as a test as well but curious about CEL as I only get P1123 right now.

I really wish my move was over so that I could get my durametric out and pull some numbers! :D

Durametric costs in Europe around 1000 $ (750 EUR)

I think you are referring to the professional kit and not the enthusiast kit. If you own less than three Porsches, it is more cost effective to buy the enthusiast kit, which costs $287, plus likely just under $200 in shipping and customs fees.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

sorry, bit late with an update, had to wait for the replacement part :(

Got a new MAF sensor, installed it (literally takes 3 minutes), all works perfectly right now : no hesitation anymore above 4000 rpm, all very smooth & linear :) !

Thank you for all the help, the MAF was the culprit ;)