Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

A/C Fuse D6 on 2000 C2 Cabrio blows when A/C turned on

I'm trying to track down an electrical problem on my 2000 C2 Cabriolet.

My climate control is working fine unless I turn on the A/C while the car is running. When I turn on the A/C the compressor engages and runs for around 2 seconds before the 30A A/C Heater system fuse in slot D6 blows. The cabin blower then stops along with anything else on the circuit.

I am trying to figure out where to start. Is there is an A/C vent flap motor or other item on the same circuit that I might look at or should I do more to rule out the A/C clutch? The Bentley Circuit diagram is a bit to complex for me tell what is protected by the D6 fuse. I have tried swapping out the A/C Heater Relay (relay 18) with no impact on the problem.

Any thoughts are appreciated

• Moderators

I'm trying to track down an electrical problem on my 2000 C2 Cabriolet.

My climate control is working fine unless I turn on the A/C while the car is running. When I turn on the A/C the compressor engages and runs for around 2 seconds before the 30A A/C Heater system fuse in slot D6 blows. The cabin blower then stops along with anything else on the circuit.

I am trying to figure out where to start. Is there is an A/C vent flap motor or other item on the same circuit that I might look at or should I do more to rule out the A/C clutch? The Bentley Circuit diagram is a bit to complex for me tell what is protected by the D6 fuse. I have tried swapping out the A/C Heater Relay (relay 18) with no impact on the problem.

Any thoughts are appreciated

The heavy amperage draw item on the circuit is the compressor clutch drive assembly, try disconnecting that and then turn the system on (the AC won't run, but everything except the clutch will be on) and see if the fuse still blows. If it doesn't you need to have the compressor clutch drive looked at.

Thanks so much! I barely touched the Compressor clutch wire and it popped out of it's connection (without me seeing what it was connected to). Without the clutch drawing current the fuse is no longer blowing (progress for sure). Now I need to figure out what compressor plug wire plugs back into. I've removed the throttle body for a better view but I still cannot seem to locate the connection and am not really sure what I'm looking for.

Thanks so much! I barely touched the Compressor clutch wire and it popped out of it's connection (without me seeing what it was connected to). Without the clutch drawing current the fuse is no longer blowing (progress for sure). Now I need to figure out what compressor plug wire plugs back into. I've removed the throttle body for a better view but I still cannot seem to locate the connection and am not really sure what I'm looking for.

Here http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/41040-ac-compressor-clutch-wire-connection/

Yay! Success!!! Thank you for the link Ahsai, the connector location was the last piece I needed. Turns out I had been looking in exactly the wrong place.

I really wanted to have my A/C working by this weekend and was becoming pessimistic. JFPs suggestion was what I needed. I went from not knowing how to continue to a successful outcome in just a few hours. I love that feeling of accomplishment you get when you fix a problem that's a challenge.

It appears the A/C clutch wire connector was just loose and shorting against the block. Thanks for your help JFP and Ahsai and for your help with hundreds of other past threads that have helped me out as well.