Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Deteriorating foam rubber coming out of vents ?

I've seen this somewhere on this site, but alas a 'search' couldn't find it ?

I've got little bits of deteriorating grey/black sticky foam rubber blowing out of my defrost, and A/C dash vents, loads of it ! :cursing:  I recall reading somewhere else this is foam rubber is from the vent doors in the A/C & heat system, and not to worry too much about it.

Anyone got any opinions on this, and how to remove it perhaps with a special vacuum cleaner attachment , or something else ? I love my 2002 996, (except for my alternator issue , elsewhere on here, but I think I've got that issue licked now, thanks guys   :thumbup:  )  but this foam rubber thing is really annoying, anyone else got his problem, and will it eventually cause a problem ?

One last thing , I hate the plastics in general Porsche uses, my sun visors are always sticky, as well as other plastics in the cabin, Ugh ! I have an M-3 as well, but the plastic on that is fine, so it's NOT German plastic, just Porsche I guess ? Thanks Brit Dave. 

• Upvote 1

• Admin

Thanks a lot Loren, from what I'm reading above replacing this foam is quite a job for sure. However is it really necessary ? Although she's blowing lots of pieces out ( I turn on the A/C and the defrost on high blower , so it comes out both area's , and dislodge , and vacuum out what I can )  the A/C seems  as cold as ever, (I live in Florida) hence is it really important to replace it, or would it cause a problem if I just kept removing/vacuuming it out, but did not replace it ?  

:thankyou:  Anyone know ? I would rather NOT delve into this, and I imagine the dealer cost would be silly money, for something not really needed, or is it ? Thanks Dave 

Edited by britdave

• 2 weeks later...

As R Rocket

As far as I understand it, the foam allows the blend door to regulate between hot/cold air. If you don't need the hot air for heat, I don't see why it would be a concern to leave it as is

If your correct about that, R Rocket I'm not going to replace the deteriorating foam with more, as I live in Florida, so I'm not that concerned with heat that much, obviously here in the Sunshine state it's mostly  about air conditioning, however that IS a concern ?

However, will NOT  replacing the foam have a drastic effect on my air conditioning performance, or won't I even notice the difference, that is the question ? A friend of mine that also has a 996 is having the same issue as well. Can anyone add to this as far as the lack of the foam, and effects on the A/C ? :huh:

No effects.on the A/C. The blend door has several round cut outs in it. With the foam on, it essentially makes the door "solid" and allows blending. Without the foam, the air merely blows through the door regardless of position it's in.

fpb111, you say : Quote : "Once the foam is all gone, you will have cool heat and warm air conditioning "  ??? Unquote ?  Yet others as well as R Rocket above say it won't have any noticeable effect on the A/C at all,  only the heat perhaps ?  Oh boy ???  :cursing: 

Since I live in Florida, I don't really care about the heat, but the A/C is another issue, it gets plenty warm here in the summer ! Anyone else have any knowledge or input on the loss of foam issue ,regarding the effects on the cars cabin climate ? 

Edited by britdave

If you look at the photos here, you will see there are two flaps covered by the foam.

http://986forum.com/forums/324153-post11.html

One flap controls the temp (blocking air from entering the hot radiator that's not shown in the photo) and the other diverts air to diff vents. So if the loose foam is coming from the former, your air temp may get affected. If the foam is coming from the later, air flow will be affected. So depends.

I think there's not much you can do at this point other than just wait and see and address it only if needed. It's a HUGE job. The dash has to come out...

Edited by Ahsai

I am in same boat and also in FL. I can tell you my buddies 2001 did it before mine and eventually foam goes away A/C works fine.

So far mine has been at it about 2 months and A/C works fine.

Annoying? Yes! Annoying enough to pull out my dashboard? Nope!

I am in same boat and also in FL. I can tell you my buddies 2001 did it before mine and eventually foam goes away A/C works fine.

So far mine has been at it about 2 months and A/C works fine.

Annoying? Yes! Annoying enough to pull out my dashboard? Nope!

Thats what I thought too, especially after I saw the horrible ordeal some guys on here went through to replace that cursed foam !

What the hell, why even bother ? Thanks for the post, as long as the A/C works fine, thats all I care about, your not the only one that remarked, several others said all seemed fine after the " foam storm" came out of the vents, I have a powerful vacuum for that. The annoying bits of foam are becoming less, and less now. :thumbup:

I am located in Florida also and the foam in my 2000 911 is all but gone and the AC is still working just fine as does the heater.

best regards

Rob

Good, great !  Thanks Rob, now I won't have to worry, or spend a whole day of my life ripping out the dashboard, like a few others have done on here, ugh, what a tedious job !  And after reading from you and others, that all remains fine, what's the point ? 

• 2 years later...

Hmmm, I thought I posted this, made a correction and my post evaporated.  ^%##)^^@

Anyway, I'm into the removing the A/C-heater door.  I wouldn't be doing it, but my A/C is slow to cool so I hope this will fix the problem.

Question: Emmett says that the servo arm is under the console, does he mean forward of the console under the dash.  If that's the case it would appear

to me that you have to remove part of the radio stack?  

Update: To access the servo motor and arm you need to remove the foam pad that covers the area under the dash and forward from where the glove box ends.  There're 3 slotted plastic screws that are located on the rearward edge of the foam covering.  You need to be able to stand on your head for this.  So far I'm not sure I have the 7mm nut that removes the servo arm.  I've got to get my inspection mirror for a better look.  Getting close, no cigar...

Thanks,

Mitch

door11.jpeg

door22.jpeg

door33.jpeg

door44.jpeg

door55.jpeg

door66.jpeg

door77.jpeg

Edited by creekman
Up to date information...
  • Like 1

For those in hot climates only.

Look at the photo above clearly showing the 2 heater core hoses ?

Suppose you disconnect both hoses and splice then together. Fabricate a U shaped fitting from copper plumbing elbows? You could use a "Y" fitting & add a air-bleed fitting ! That may help the warm a/c problem yet maintain normal circulation in the engine cooling system.

Cap off the 2 open tubes to the heater core temporarily.

For those who say I have foam debris but no problem with a/c - that is because only one of the 2 flaps/doors has begun to disintegrate. The other will surely follow !See Ahsai's helpful system description in a previous Post in this Thread.

In winter reconnect the hoses? Check "Meir" on 986 Forum who did a great write up/Thread- see below.http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/37246-c-evaporator-replacement-c-foam-flakes.html

From Ahsai:

"If you look at the photos here, you will see there are two flaps covered by the foam.

http://986forum.com/forums/324153-post11.html

One flap controls the temp (blocking air from entering the hot radiator that's not shown in the photo) and the other diverts air to diff vents. So if the loose foam is coming from the former, your air temp may get affected. If the foam is coming from the later, air flow will be affected. So depends.

I think there's not much you can do at this point other than just wait and see and address it only if needed. It's a HUGE job. The dash has to come out..."

Edited by Schnell Gelb

• 7 months later...

The problem I had was there was no way to remove the door without removing the evaporator housing.  The original tech tip was performed on a Boxster, my 2003 C4S evaporator door would not come out of the lower pivot housing.  

I would suggest anyone that wants to try this, first be sure that the bottom pivot will come out, then attack the topside parts for removal.  

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

so just out of curiosity, I have a 997_1.  I was at the dealer the other day looking at the new models and mentioned this foam issue.  they said they have seen this issue, but that the problem is not with the blending doors, rather from foam that might have been "pinched" together when joining together pieces of the duct work.  or, if I understood them correctly, where a connector piece is used and the backside of the foam degrades off.  they say it is these little pieces of pinched foam inside the dust work that is finally degrading and blowing through.  any thoughts?

ive had foam blow out, not massive amounts, just curious as I've never had or seen the ducts/inside personally.   tks

air still blowing cold.

sorry to post it here, but didn't see applicable post in the other side.