Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I am bit confused because 2 different Porsche Indys had different suggestions to the problem.

My car, when cold after sitting 5-6 days when I get in and start it, it starts flawlessly. After driving for about 5-10 minutes to get to the grocery or gas station the car needs 2-3 turns of the key to start. Sometimes it starts with 1st turn (very rare when hot).banghead.gif

Battery 6 months old, although it doesn't seem as a power problem. When the car was in for a PDCC line leak, I mentioned the problem to the mechanic who noticed it and told me next time we should clean the starter (don't know what that means). He asked 250 Euros for cleaning! wtf!!!!!!!

I was passing by another reputable Indy which is 70km far from where I leave, stopped and mentioned the problem to get a second opinion and from what he felt, he told me close an appointment cause it might be something fuel related.

P.S No boost leak, constant idle rpm, no reduced power or so, car runs great but I am bit concerned about the start issue in fear of getting stuck during a trip.
Car has 125k miles, fully serviced in July 2015 (spark plugs, oil, belt, filters,etc)

Any suggestions??

When you say it won't start, do you mean you turn the key and nothing happens (starter doesn't even make noise) or do you mean when you turn the key it turns over or makes noise, it just doesn't get the motor started?

I turn the key I hear a click, 2nd turn the same. I then remove the key, I wait 10-20 seconds and with the 3rd turn the car starts but not easily. I think that yes the starter doesn't make noise to start. It is not the case where you hear the starter trying to crank up the motor and the motor is not starting.

If the starter was working properly and it was a fuel related issue, wouldn't I hear the starter trying on 1st, 2nd attempt? The weird thing is that when the car sits for days, then it starts immediately. If I recall correctly the first Indy said it is the starter motor and the problem is more evident when the motor gets hot after 10-15 minutes of driving.

Your Input appreciated

Edited by vchris

• 3 weeks later...

2005 Cayenne S:

Compelled to post this since I just went through the same problem:  Cold, starts properly... warmed up, may take 2 to 5 tries to start.  Even when cold, its a slow arduous  start.  Finally, about two weeks ago, the starter just went "click" and wouldn't start again.  Towed into Porsche Service, replaced starter, and all is well.  Starts properly now.

Before starter finally failed:

- replaced battery about 7 months ago... no change.

- starter gradually got worst and worst... ie. more and more tries before engine started

- when engine cold, started on first or second try but still "slow turning" of engine/fly wheel

- maybe one out of 30 starts would result in starter "free wheeling", ie. engine starts but starter makes a loud screeching noise for about a second, starter gear/solenoid not retracting?

- other times when car started, 4 wheel drive warning would come on, and on a few occaisions, the radio would not work with an amplifier warning.  I am guessing the starter draws so much

current that the automatic systems check systems doesn't work properly.  (With new starter, problem hasn't arisen yet).

I've been told when the starter heats up it would draw more current.  Any reading under 300 Amps is normal.  Anything over 300 Amps indicates a starter problem.  About 3.5 hrs of labor to put in new starter.

Hope this helps.