Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Acess Fuel Door Actuator

• 2 months later...

I haven't actually done this, but I guess it's simply a matter of removing the right front wheel ( for ease of access) removing a number of self tapping screws holding the plastic wheel arch panel in place, then putting your hand up inside the fender (wing) to feel how it is mounted . I don't reckon it's a big job, and the locking mechansim is not expensive. Here in Europe it's only about €27 which is probably about $35.

Donie

have you tried to manually unlock the fuel door lock mechanism. I believe the instructions are in the manual. Just open the passenger door and pull on a ring and the door will unlock. I know your trouble is trying to lock the fuel door, but the locking rod is probably just jammed

• 3 weeks later...

I tried to get to the actuator the other day, I removed the right front wheel then removed the big black piece (splash gaurd). I could barely see the little actuator which is being blocked by some black tank. I spent about an hour trying to get it to with no success. So I just ended unpluging the actuator and no more noise coming from it anymore when I lock the car. I think you I have to remove the fender to replace that thing. I can't think of any other way.

• 4 months later...

Alienz

I had a similar problem with noise coming from the fuel door when I locked the car. And then, soon afterward, I discovered that when I unlocked the car, the fuel door remained locked. I was in a bit of panic, how do I fuel my car? I read the manual and discovered the release ring is provided for such emergencies. I pulled the ring and the fuel door opened, however, the ring came away because the attachment point between the ring and cable broke. I fueled up OK, but when I got home I made the mistake of locking the car. I discovered the fuel door was again locked and would not unlock. Lucky for me I had a full tank of gas. I went to the dealer the next day and they fixed it by going up through the wheel well. It was all on warranty. I would caution anyone using the emergency cable release, to pull very gently because the cable is not attached to the ring in the most sturdy fashion.

• 11 years later...

I have a similar issue.  My can was backed into while parked late last year so I had to have the fender replaced on the passenger side.  I had to take the car back multiple times because while the paint looked good there attention to detail was very poor.  Needless to say I found another issue....when they put the fender back on the car they did not put the manual pull cable back through the fender inside the door jamb.  I don't want to have to take it back to the body shop because they are far from the house and frankly aren't very good.  Is this something that I can do myself without having to take the fender off?  Any step by step instructions or pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

• Admin
1 hour ago, AR_Groundzero said:

I have a similar issue.  My can was backed into while parked late last year so I had to have the fender replaced on the passenger side.  I had to take the car back multiple times because while the paint looked good there attention to detail was very poor.  Needless to say I found another issue....when they put the fender back on the car they did not put the manual pull cable back through the fender inside the door jamb.  I don't want to have to take it back to the body shop because they are far from the house and frankly aren't very good.  Is this something that I can do myself without having to take the fender off?  Any step by step instructions or pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

This was done on a 996 but the 986 Boxster is exactly the same...

Replacing the Gas/Fuel Door Actuator

• Like 1