Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Headlights STOLEN

Rant time for me, So i wake up this morning, feeling tired. Walk to my car at 545am that i had to park 1 block away from my apt cause the street was full of parked cars on my block. Drive to work and dont notice anything out of the ordinary UNTIL i pull into the underground parking garage at work and notice that i do not see my headlights against the walls or floor. I think to myself "GREAT! **** headlight switch is fried" so i park in a space and start to turn the headlight switch on and off rapidly to see if i can get the lamps on at all, and it didnt work....

So i get out and im already thinking about what terms i should use in my search for headlight switch replacement on 986forum.com but then i notice something... my sidemarker is missing and the wire and bulb are dangling then i walk to the front of the car and notice both of my headlights are stolen !and! the edge of the hood, front bumper and fender are scratched!

That is the moment i realized my headlight were stolen today... WTF!!!!! why would someone one yellow egg yolk headlights! venting... venting... venting...

I called my insurance claims department to notify them, I have full coverage Progressive Insurance with $250 deductible, does anyone know what i am to expect from the Porgressive as far as repair and or compensation? For instance, will they buy me NEW headlights or try to locate some cheap used ones from a salvage yard? As far as my paint damage, should i expect them to repaint the entire panel due to the scratches on the hood fenders and bumper or will they want to patch paint it?

Wow that is horrible! I was waiting for you to state you had the litronics system, I would agree who wants our burned out yellow ones!

I have Progressive and they like most insurance companies will get new parts but repair work including paint and panels should be done by someone you trust. As you know Progressive has a great online presence and you can review your policy fine print online with your account management. That will define how they cover items. I'm sure Progressive is mostly the same across the board but different from other companies.

The problem is usually with the body shop not the Insurance company. I have the luck of knowing my mechanic and body man personally. I see what others I only know from the phone book due and they will do the basics and find cheap parts. It's up to you to insist they use new and check their work!

Shawn

Not sure how your insurance company's work over there, but try and get them to buy the clear headlights from the '03 Boxster if you have the orange indicator strip???? Shouldnt be anymore $'s and i think they fit?? Anyone??? The bonnet and bumper should be re-finished and re-sprayed at an approved Porsche repair centre.

Rant time for me, So i wake up this morning, feeling tired. Walk to my car at 545am that i had to park 1 block away from my apt cause the street was full of parked cars on my block. Drive to work and dont notice anything out of the ordinary UNTIL i pull into the underground parking garage at work and notice that i do not see my headlights against the walls or floor. I think to myself "GREAT! **** headlight switch is fried" so i park in a space and start to turn the headlight switch on and off rapidly to see if i can get the lamps on at all, and it didnt work....

So i get out and im already thinking about what terms i should use in my search for headlight switch replacement on 986forum.com but then i notice something... my sidemarker is missing and the wire and bulb are dangling then i walk to the front of the car and notice both of my headlights are stolen !and! the edge of the hood, front bumper and fender are scratched!

That is the moment i realized my headlight were stolen today... WTF!!!!! why would someone one yellow egg yolk headlights! venting... venting... venting...

I called my insurance claims department to notify them, I have full coverage Progressive Insurance with $250 deductible, does anyone know what i am to expect from the Porgressive as far as repair and or compensation? For instance, will they buy me NEW headlights or try to locate some cheap used ones from a salvage yard? As far as my paint damage, should i expect them to repaint the entire panel due to the scratches on the hood fenders and bumper or will they want to patch paint it?

Carlos:

What a bummer!

The one piece of advice I can give you is as follows. Do not try to adjust the claim directly with the insurance company yourself. The biggest favor that you can do yourself is to take your car to a body shop that you trust (not the one the insurance company might try to recommend) and make sure that the insurance company sees the car AT THE BODY SHOP. Not at your house or at their claims center!

Most reputable body shops have relationships that they cultivate with the individual claims adjusters that come to their shops on a regular basis. Having the adjuster see the car at the body shop and deal directly with the body shop guy will get you the best result. Tell the body shop guy the type of repair you hope to get and let him go to bat for you. Especially in this kind of repair, the body shop stands to earn more from a job that is properly done, rather than just touched up, and that will be to your ultimate benefit.

It's a little more inconvenient to take the car to the body shop and leave it there for the adjuster to see, but it's well worth the inconvenience. Don't forget, you (more than anyone else) will be looking at the repaired area with a critical eye every time you approach your car or are working on something in that area. It will be a constant annoyance to you if you don't get it done right.

Regards, Maurice.

Edited by 1schoir

Progressive IMHO is as good as anyone else. They don't have the best rates for sports cars but their online presense is good and the response time is good too.

It really comes down to a good body shop that your trust that Progressive is willing to pay!

FYI: Two years ago the wife messed up her Saab 9000, which was a incredibly well maintained car. She took it to the shop of a friend from school. Since I was so busy with work at the time I didn't get involved and the work looked acceptable for a 10 year old car from 10 feet away.

When spring came and it was time to crack the hood to do maintenance I was appalled at the "behind the scenes" work. Missing screws, zip ties hold cracked light frames and the wheel well (plastic) line had every hole cut out as they were to lazy to remove the 20 bolts. It may have cracked from the accident (doubt it) but either way their should have been a new wheel well liner. Two years later it's start to sag.

Once you sign off on the work you have little recourse to ***** later, I know!

Shawn

WOW! city of LBC,,,,

time to get deambered.

I just talked to the adjuster on the phone and he recommended what you just said, to take it to a shop i want or one they have on a list and let them estimate it and then go from there.

Carlos:

For what it's worth, legally they have an obligation to tell you that you can choose your shop, although they try to steer you to the shops they have on their list.

Generally, if you know and trust a good body shop, you are much better off going there. The ones that are on their "approved" list have to be in bed with the insurance company to some degree, or they risk being taken off the list and thereby losing a source of cars to be repaired.

PM me and I will give you more info if you need it.

Regards, Maurice.

i can't even believe this! people are such A-holes! :censored:

how the hell could they even get the light out without releasing the lock? how could someone not have seen this happening? it can't be very easy to steal a headlight pod. it must take a few minutes at least. i don't understand how ripping the headlight out would not damage the pod in some way, preventing the sale to someone else.

if you somehow find the person, you should beat him unconscious with the headlight pod! this just makes me so mad! i can't even imagine how you feel, especially after just having your car painted. what the hell is wrong with people?!!! <_<

I know this will never happen, but one way to cut-down on this stuff getting stolen is for people to not buy the crap when it goes on e-Bay.

Not everyone on eBay is bad and saving money & getting a good deal is always nice. But let's face it, this stuff gets stolen, goes on sale on eBay, and then people want to replace the stolen parts with an eBay purchase to save a buck. Dangerous cycle.

Edited by White987S

1. there are a couple thousand recyclers on ebay that would disagree

2. there are many people such as myself that are not wealthy and parting out cars from misfortune they can make a dollar back.

3. there are many people such as myself that need a great deal to help offset the cost of owning and expensive car.

4. i'm sure there are 1001 honest transactions for every stolen item, hardly a reason for the public to not buy or sell used items on ebay.

5. most of the people that own Porsches who need to replace parts buy new, the cycle is most likely not perpetuated as you state.

The one who stole is headlights was most likely sent on a specific task for that item to replace another. Not an easy item to remove for a general thief and even knowing most theives are not the smartest in society I doubt many take the chance of posting FOR SALE an easily spotted item unless they are shipping from the other side of the country.

Why is it once ebay became huge everyone feels it's a detriment to society? I still feel for savvy buyers it's a great asset to the internet and automotive community. Stupid comment for sure...flame on!

Shawn

Ohio

Edited by Loren
Removed flame

• Moderators

There is not much of a market for stolen amber headlights. But thieves are not always so smart. They want the ballast and bulbs for use on a non-Porsche. If you go on the Porsche message boards once in a while clear halogens get stolen - perhaps by "mistake" thinking they were xenons.

I can usually tell a stolen litronic on ebay. The seller profile or description is clue one. Seller is selling litronics to upgrade - upgrade to what? If there are picture then sometimes I can see the chips and scratches from prying them out. And, of course, a Florida seller use to be a clue....

I bought 996 clear headlights on ebay 100 years ago. I will not buy stolen parts. The 996 car was being parted out after a wreck. If those headlights were stolen then the seller stole the whole car. He was selling the engine, transmission, and all other parts, including the brake pedal and seats.

post-4-1194127740_thumb.jpg

I had my Litronics stolen about a year ago. Since they were not factory installed the insurance wanted to only pay for halogens. I took it to the McKenna Porsche in Norwalk and they estimated each halogen at about $750 each. Thats $1500 for the pair!!!!! ( plus $2300 for a new cab. top ) I took my car to a friends shop and he ordered me some new Litronics from a trusted supplier on Ebay for $1449. Needless to say, everything worked out OK. Good luck!!

Thanks for your help guys, I bought a set of Litronics from a craigslist ad and picked them up myself, nice guy too. They came with the self leveling control box and the wire harness to hook it up. I should have my car back from the paintshop friday! :renntech:

Heres a picture of one of the headlights.

post-12946-1194547479_thumb.jpg

post-12946-1194547489_thumb.jpg

• Admin

The control box is not for self leveling. Self leveling was only available from the factory.

The control boxes you have allow the rotation of the low beam (Xenon) to combine with the high beam Halogen.

Some folks don't install them since they rarely use the high beams.

The control box is not for self leveling. Self leveling was only available from the factory.

The control boxes you have allow the rotation of the low beam (Xenon) to combine with the high beam Halogen.

Some folks don't install them since they rarely use the high beams.

Ah, so its only if i want to use high-beams??? Tell me what i can and cant do with and without the control box please, lay it all out for me.

What insurance do you have?

I wish they would just send me a check and let me buy the parts, when I file a claim. Then you can buy upgrades on eBay for the same price as the OEM through a shop.

I have Progressive, They do give you the check but they try to get you to except a check before having a shop look at it and tried to scare me into doing that by saying, OH the shop may remove the bumper and you'll have to install it if you decide not to go with them!!!!

i said i dont care cause i can install it.

They ended up giving the check to the paint shop anyway and i just called them and told them to give me the headlights portion so i can get them myself.

If your amber headlights were stolen, then where are you going to park with litronic headlights?

In the street, If they are stolen. Theres nothing i can do about it except have my insurance cover it. With progressive, theres 0 liability for me so my rates wont increase at all.