Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

PSM light intermittent flashing, engine power drops

I have a 2003 TT and recently the PSM traction control light will flash briefly (maybe 3-5 seconds) and the engine drops power, no other indicators, no check engine light, nothing....light stops flashing and engine power comes back.  If i turn the PSM off, i have no problems, but with ~4,000 rpm shift points in auto and Borla exhausts, the neighbors are getting tired of me.  I was by my mechanic's shop the other day on an unrelated issue and he hooked up the Porsche computer and there were no stored faults in the PSM Management.

Anyone seen this? Any ideas?

I have had the exact same symptoms, especially on curvy, slopey roads. It would occur both when cruising or under acceleration, in the wet or dry, no matter; the psm light would flash for a couple seconds and there would be a noticeable loss of power, as if the car had no grip.

Problem solved last week with a new set of tires; at least that's what I think. (Only other thing replaced was the coolant reservoir that had developed a leak, about 30k miles after the coolant pipes job, but I don't see how that would light up the psm).

Hope this helps and good luck!

04S, 98k mi

no problem. A bit more on my issue: it first started flickering after I had an used michelin installed on the rear ( blowout on the highway, middle of nowhere in Florida, it was the only option at the time). After a tire rotation, with the non-matching michelin now on the front, the psm flickering/loss of power went away.

A few months later, it started again, more frequently, almost daily; did another tire rotation, but no fix. However all the tires were shot at this point.

so, I would check the tires, maybe start with the rears.

The PSM is detecting slippage or illogical rotation differences between the wheels and decreasing power in an attempt to keep you going down the road. Your tires are likely way past toast..  this doesn't cause the PSM to store any faults since it's behaving just like it should.

As mentioned above, a different tire diameter can have an effect. Do you replace your tires in pairs. If one has been replaced after the others have worn quite a lot you almost need to take it in and get it shaved or just replace the other three at the same time. Kind of expensive but it can solve problems. Not sure about Porsche but Audi say's max of 3/16" tread depth difference on the same brand and model of tire as different brands/models can already be slightly different than a standard size. If you have time, you can also remove all of your Brake anti-lock sensors and clean them as they can pick up a lot of debri/dirt and give erroneous readings after a lot of miles, they are magnetic which exacerbates the problem.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

hi everyone, Has anyone figured this out?? this is the sec. time that I had this thing happening.  the traction control flashes and engine power drops while cruising or speeding up on the highway??!!

thanks for any help

• 2 years later...