Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I've read a couple of posts describing other's experiences with engine failure.  My 02 C4 Cab engine lost power, sent lots of smoke out the back and then went silent while in the center lane of 405 south out of Bellevue on a Friday afternoon; just lovely.  I had the car on the side of the road, engine off in about 30 seconds.  Quick check at Chris's German and there's water in the cylinders.  Seems not to matter if cylinder wall crack or other source, an engine rebuild and/or replace seems only course of action.   Given the cost of a factory swap estimated at $36K with refund (~$16k) for core or LN Engineering 3.8 conversion for $15K to $20K the economics just seem out of balance.  I'm looking for lower cost options like a used engine or just sell the car as-is.  

Any members have experience with engine replacements or selling a car with an engine in need of rebuild?

• Moderators

Selling the car as a "roller" is usually a losing proposition and should only be the choice of desperation.

You are going to have to spend some money on a replacement from a wreck, but it is usually the lowest cost pathway to getting the car back on the road.  Shop around for a good used engine in your area, and figure another 2-3K to get it back in one piece.

My heart goes out to you...that is a bummer, indeed. You are in my neck of the woods, I know the 405 southbound corridor out of Bellevue quite well and I don't know of a worse place to have your car break down...

I would be curious to know how this story ends.

Best of luck to you.

Julie

If I can draw a parallel with selling an old aircraft, the value of the aircraft is 95% into the engine's life left in it.

The 1st thing the buyer will ask you is how many hrs are left to the next R&Overhaul for the engine. This will actually determine the virtual value of your aircraft to him.

In your case, your engine has lost most of its value to the buyer and since your car is not of much use without an engine, your roller value is likely around the mid-four-figures, so I'm truly sorry for you.

If you like your car otherwise and want to keep driving Porsches for awhile yet, it might not be a bad idea to contemplate spending 5-figures $ on a reliably-refurbished engine.

At least, you will be totally familiar with the end-product and if you want to sell it at some point in time, your car might still be an attractive proposition after you have enjoyed it for a few years.

Good luck with your tough decision.