Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Ok this post is NOT really about comparing the roads, it's more about my less then stellar experience with my recent purchase. I picked up the car in Stuttgart a beautiful 991 S silverGT, drove it around Europe and then waited for ever for it to get to the US. Immediately after getting it in the US I declared the roads in the US as ****. Nothing comparable to the great roads in Germany, Switzerland, Italy (yeah right!) and Austria. Long story short, Porsche Stevens Creek forgot to remove the suspension restraint on my car upon receiving it the US, the handed it over to me, I was extremely excited to drive it... However it turn out the roads are great in California (if you have a full suspension setup). This I found out once my shop RMG in Sunnyvale took a look at my car. It is just sad to have such an experience. The dealer is taking responsibility and has the car at the moment, my question/rant is : should I be worried about the impact on the car (drove it around 3k miles) I could feel any fly on the road and it felt like I was going over a wall, it was not until I drove my 986 and despite the sport suspension on it, it feel glorious compared to my brand new 991, yes different cars but imagine driving with no travel on the front suspension... Anyway I got a 912E and the thing is 40 years old and it felt better on the roads and bumps. I hope you guys/gals can give me some advise on this matter. After some conversations with my mechanic, I started to understand the safety concern around this matter. I had friends, family and my son with me, sometimes driving like a Porsche should be driven, thank god nothing happened. Anyway. Any comment is welcome.

post-2764-0-29051500-1446361761_thumb.jp

given the overalwhelming replies I feel compelled to keep you updated. ;-)

Got the car back Porsche Stevens Creek behaved decently, took full responsibility, they have yet to come back with additional cover but I take it the manager wil call me soon to let me know how much more. I was hoping some experts here could share some light for me, but I understand people are busy.

PNA sent me a nice voucher to spend on Porsche stuff. That was nice.

Anyway car is back, it drives just like it did before in Europe and I am happy no damaged was caused. My greatest fear was that there was damage and that I would have to go to a newer car.. Yeah right! But seriously, with how people are not ordering manuals I would have a rough time.

I hope this does not happen to anyone. But be aware that if you order via Factory Collection/European delivery the dealer might cut some corners.

Drive hard and stay save!

• 2 weeks later...

Spare a thought for us Australian drivers! I don't have a 991, but a 996 turbo. Granted the suspension is fairly hard on that thing, but some of the roads here..

Worst (sealed) road ever (IMHO), Great Northern Highway between Bullsbrook and Bindoon outside Perth. It's a struggle to keep the car on the road.

Happy Driving...

DS

• 3 months later...

Apologies on the delay. I drove 2 weeks. Porsche paid for insurance. Mine was a factory collection, meaning new car collected at the factory so no issues on emmissions.

Hi Scherb, I'm about to send my 997.1 to Stuttgart.  How long did you drive around EU before shipping back to the US?  What kind of insurance did you purchase?  any emmission issues?

Sorry for so many questions.