Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I have a 2007 C2S manual with about 132K on the odometer.  A low oil pressure light has started to show up at idle after the car is warmed up.  It seems as if the light is gradually coming on more frequently.  The pressure gage on the dash reads around 0.5 bar when the light comes on.  When the car is cold the starting pressure is around five bar and is about 3 bar at 3000rpm.  As it warms up the pressure drops to about 2 bar at 3000rpm.  I always run 0-40W Mobil 1 and change the oil every 5K miles.  With the engine off and turning the key one click the pressure gage rises to about 0.1-0.2 bar.

Can anyone help me diagnose this issue?  Would be a sensor or something mechanical?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, salamander said:

I have a 2007 C2S manual with about 132K on the odometer.  A low oil pressure light has started to show up at idle after the car is warmed up.  It seems as if the light is gradually coming on more frequently.  The pressure gage on the dash reads around 0.5 bar when the light comes on.  When the car is cold the starting pressure is around five bar and is about 3 bar at 3000rpm.  As it warms up the pressure drops to about 2 bar at 3000rpm.  I always run 0-40W Mobil 1 and change the oil every 5K miles.  With the engine off and turning the key one click the pressure gage rises to about 0.1-0.2 bar.

Can anyone help me diagnose this issue?  Would be a sensor or something mechanical?

Welcome to RennTech :welcomeani:

Low apparent oil pressure can have multiple causes; the dash gauge can be bad, the oil pressure sending unit can be bad, and so on.  First step is to connect a known mechanical gauge to check the car’s actual pressure.  There is even a cheap (around $20) factory kit to update the oil pump pressure control piston and spring to address this exact issue.  But first you need to know where the engine really is at.

Good luck.

Do what JFP says and...

I think that if the oil pressure gauge is showing any non-zero value when the engine is not spinning and electrical system energized, it makes the oil pressure sender suspect. It should read zero. The sender is easy to change and not too expensive; it's on the passenger side of the engine, on the top side above the head, and about half way back; it looks like a typical oil pressure sender. Pretty sure you'll want to do it when the engine is cold.

• 1 month later...
On 5/12/2019 at 5:33 PM, salamander said:

Thanks JFP and jchapura.  I appreciate the quick response.  I will look into getting an accurate pressure gauge reading and a new sender.

Any update on how this went?  I am now seeing similar issue on my 06 997S w/95k mi.